Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Is there anyone on the site who has a PB 15" without the lines?

I ordered a BTO 15" PB and now i'm afraid to take it out of the box. Can anyone confirm that these lines don't affect every 15" higher resolution PB? I know its not a big flaw but its certainly not what I expect from my $2000 notebook.

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
I just got a new 15" PB a few days ago and mine appears to have it also. Not sure how bad it is compared to others but it is not to noticable unless you look for it but when you do the lines do stand out (especially in the system preferences menu). I hope that apple does do something about it though as it is annoying now that i know about it.

So should i see if i can send back for repairs, refund, what? I'm not a designer or anything but it is annoying.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Pili said:
So should i see if i can send back for repairs, refund, what? I'm not a designer or anything but it is annoying.

I fail to understand why people even quesiton this decision. The display is a sucky one so return it for a refund. If people keep putting up with something they know is rubbish then won't Apple standards just keep falling?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
maverick808 said:
I fail to understand why people even quesiton this decision. The display is a sucky one so return it for a refund. If people keep putting up with something they know is rubbish then won't Apple standards just keep falling?

It depends on how attached you are to Macs. For example, I've done that to a certain extent too. I would rather use a computer with minor defects than use a PC laptop.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
ITASOR said:
It depends on how attached you are to Macs. For example, I've done that to a certain extent too. I would rather use a computer with minor defects than use a PC laptop.

Same here... I only use Macs and if I have to use Windows I remote login rather than actually sit at a PC. But still, the PowerBook update this time was laughable and then to have a duff screen too is just insulting. I'd much rather have one of the 1.67GHz pervious revision PowerBooks knowing that the screen, although lower res, was perfect.

I would not put up with spending $2000 on an Apple laptop to find it had a substandard display. If you spend that much on a laptop it should be the "latest and greatest" and I just don't think this is. I can't see someone with a 1.67GHz prev gen looking at the this rev and going "ooooh, I'm so jealous... I wish I had the latest model so I could have hideous horizontal lines too".

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Im trying to get a feel for this, so can poeple who own a 15 or 17'' powerbook please post on wether they do or do not have this issue? I cant check mine becuse i sent it to applecare for a fan issue, but I hope to God that my powerbook wont have lines. Is this a issue with evey single powerbook, or a widespread issue? or simple a small issue ?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Pili said:
Not sure how bad it is compared to others but it is not to noticable unless you look for it but when you do the lines do stand out (especially in the system preferences menu).

The system preferences menu has lines built into it, that's the styling. Don't worry about it, I see them on my flawless ACD.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It is especially visible against a grey background, but generally it doesn't bug me at all :)

Oh well, I don't want to risk getting a dud replacement though, this one is satisfactory so far...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ok.. looking at the photo again on another monitor, my pb doesn't have it..

All these talk about lines is making me see lines instead :p

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
I plugged in my 21 CRT and it has no lines, so I'm leaning toward a LCD issue. We all have to call into Apple and report this so they can address this issue. Call AppleCare enough they may just give in and send us comped 30 ACD's for all our troubles. Ok maybe not lol...

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
cplusd said:
We all have to call into Apple and report this so they can address this issue.

That's the bottom line. If you have lines, take 5-10 minutes to call Apple Care and report it. That 5-10 minutes might just get you a better screen from Apple in the near future. All it can do is help us all.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
My friends powerbook had this problem. It took a few days to notice but then I was looking at a picture and was like "what are these lines going through the picture..." Man, I can't believe how much these new powerbooks suck. I mean his screen is not only really dark but also has lines in it GRR. So freakin' sad :( We are going to drive an hour and a half tomorrow to go get his money back at the Apple store near Chicago... and we are not leaving until we do haha!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Here is a pic of it. It is, of course, hard to capture on a camera but it gives you an idea. Also, brightness is up full blast in this picture and notice how dim the screen seems to be.

Attachments

• Lines.jpg
    Lines.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,254

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
VisualForces said:
Good luck getting a refund...let us know what the techs say.

Will do :) Compared to the iMac I had for awhile (with the screen bleeding and uneven backlighting) this powerbook looks HORRIBLE! The screen is just really really dim in addition to the problem with lines. Also, the bottom of the screen is noticeably brighter than the top. I think we have a good argument since it is within the 14 days. Clearly, the screen has issues and is not something that anyone should be paying $1799EDU plus tax for... :mad: Compared to Dell's $499 laptop (screen resolution aside) the screen on the current powerbooks is inferior... that is really sad.

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Mention that Apple Care has opened up a "catch" for this particular issue. That's what the tech told me if I was to take mine into a store. I live over 3 hours away from an Apple retail store though, so I just sent it in. They are wanting to look at these and document them though...make sure they make a note of it. You should be ok to get a refund though as mine was declared DOA by Apple Care.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Chrispy said:
Here is a pic of it. It is, of course, hard to capture on a camera but it gives you an idea. Also, brightness is up full blast in this picture and notice how dim the screen seems to be.

Yeah, that's it. Clearly, every second line of pixels is a little brighter. The more I think about it, the more I believe that this is not a manufacturing problem of the LCD. I've never seen something like this, I never heard of something like this, and from my (limited) knowledge about flat panel displays, I can't really say how this could be happening during the manufacturing process. Maybe it's just a driver issue, i.e. wrong refresh rate or something like that.

foosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
I think it's too subtle to be anything other than the nature of the display itself. If it were something occuring in software or drivers, before being sent to the screen, it should show up on external monitors...but of course it doesn't.

I called Apple and mentioned that I was interested in buying a new PB but only if these lines weren't on every single monitor or would be recognized as a flaw. All the guy could tell me was "yes we've been hearing about this issue, and if you buy a new PB and it has 'the problem that you describe' we will fix it for you."

I asked if he knew of any other information regarding the status of this and he said no.

So basically I'm super-anxious to hear if the repaired PBs come back with or without the lines... Keep us posted VisualForces!

EDIT: I recall my previous statement... now I see the lines there. It's just way more zoomed than the other shots I've seen!

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
I totally see chrispy's screenshot showing the problem. It's picture is isolating the problem so I can see where it would be overlooked. Are you folks sending in your photos?

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
I sent my photo to a tech (Bruce) while I was on the phone with him. He saw what I was talking about and said he was contacting engineering directly and that all Apple Stores are being notified of this issue so that people can bring them in. I have no idea what the people at the stores will say, but that's basically the gist of the conversation I had with him.

My laptop should be in their hands today at their Houston, TX repair center. I put a folder in the center of the desktop with images that show a lot of lines, so hopefully they can see exactly what I'm talking about.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
that all Apple Stores are being notified of this issue so that people can bring them in
You know when I went into the Apple store for this problem (to exchange my first 15) the lady said very tactless, "THERE'S NO PROBLEM I DON'T SEE ONE". I asked her to look closer and she goes oh that's just the refresh rate. So it was very obvious she seen the issue but when I showed her the PSD that I created (posted on Apple dicussion) she said it's making those lines because you have it in Photoshop. I told her well that's funny you say that because the Scan Lines layer is turned off. She quickly ran behind her genius bar and wouldn't say a word.

Oh and that was on a display model...

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
cplusd said:
I told her well that's funny you say that because the Scan Lines layer is turned off. She quickly ran behind her genius bar and wouldn't say a word.

Oh and that was on a display model...

hahahaha. I needed a laugh out of all of this. Thanks. :D

Scan Lines is a good way to explain it...this screen actually looks like my 10 year old TV in my living room.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah it was quite comical... Goes to show the people at the Genius Bar aren't always qualified. The funniest part about it she was in such denial and couldn't muster up enough courage or guts to admit there was a problem.

So does anyone have a clue what could cause this issue? I'm leaning toward a bad LCD but maybe someone with more technical background on displays can sheed some light.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i just picked up my 15" pb from the apple store last night, and i don't see any lines in mine. unless i'm just blind, this is not an issue in all powerbooks. just so people know that

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I am waiting for the first batch of fixed machines to show up... I just got mine last night. I didnt notice it until this post, so its not as major as say, dead pixels.

But its a brighter screen, and requesting more ice cream might get you a different taste sometimes...

I did just spend 2600 at the apple store, but if this is the only problem, than its a damn good laptop and I will have no problem doing design work at home on my acd 23.

The reason you all mention dell's makes me think youd rather have a Hasbro toy than a true tool. If you have no external display to work off of, this could be a problem. But I think after a while, your eyes will blend it together just fine, just like when you look at 1024 x 768 all day.

$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.