Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffcorbets

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Okay, so I sat down with my new PowerBook and spent a good thirty minutes trying to determine would could be wrong with the display.

The things I noticed on my display after further inspection:

* The infamous grey lines on every other row of pixels. These are kinda similar to the Trinitron lines in Trinitron CRTs, though they don't show up on white.

* The lower corners of the screen are darker. On the left side of the PowerBook the screen backlighting is noticably darker than on the right.

* There is no place that I can view the display from in which the colors at every location on the display are true. If I sit directly in front of the left side of the display, the colors are decent, same on the right. If I sit in the middle (which, I think, is normal), then colors at the edges are not even close to what they should be. A quick measurement showed a view angle of about 10-15 degrees for true color.

So, I ended up calling Apple and asking about mainly the horizontal lines. The two people I spoke to did not indicate in any way that this is a known problem, but a box is being sent to me for me to ship the new PowerBook back to them for diagnosis and repair. :(

~Jeff Corbets

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
jeffcorbets said:
* The infamous grey lines on every other row of pixels. These are kinda similar to the Trinitron lines in Trinitron CRTs, though they don't show up on white.
Nope. This doesn't have anything to do with Trinitron lines. Trinitron monitors only have two lines, one in the upper and another one in the lower third of the screen, and they are thin wires to keep the mask stable. Not like the 15" PB scanlines, neither technically nor in the result.

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Update on my repair:

They began repair around 1pm today. My status just now (5:15pm) was changed to "Hold - Engineering". I was expecting this as the tech said he wanted the engineering group to see it. It's better than them calling me and saying "this display is just fine."

The wait begins...

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
good luck on the "hold - engineering" my friggen powerbok has bene on hold for over a week with that same messege. I just contacted applecare to send me a whole new one.

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
g0gie said:
good luck on the "hold - engineering" my friggen powerbok has bene on hold for over a week with that same messege. I just contacted applecare to send me a whole new one.

yeah...when I was talking to the tech before I sent it, he told me that the engineering department could be working on a solution and my laptop could be in their hands for more than a week. Honestly, I'm willing to go a while without it if they fix the screen...I loved everything else about it and would rather have it than a previous model. And I'm scared to simply get it replaced in fear of having the same screen issues.

We'll see how long my patience lasts. :D

V

VogonPoet

VisualForces said:
... Honestly, I'm willing to go a while without it if they FIX the screen...:D

Well, I hope for your (our) part that they can fix it, but since this seems to be affecting ALL of the new 15" PB's, I think they'll have to replace the LCD screen with a different model.

I visited my local Apple Store today and ALL of the new 15" Powerbooks on display had exactly the same horizontal line issue with their display. I had a long discussion with the tech (genius) and he documented the whole thing and filed a 'ticket' with Apple Engineering. Maybe if enough people make a fuss about this and let Apple know that it is simply not acceptable, they might do a large recall-and-replace on these units. Who knows... but I'm not holding my breath.

mactim

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
I took mine back....

I decided last night that I couldn't live with the issue on my new PB. I took it back to the London store and got a full refund. I noticed that the 15" display models ALL had this issue too (hence I refused a replacement).
So now I'm PowerBook-less :(
I have to decide whether to get a 17" (I prefer the size of the 15), or play the waiting game again for a 'fixed' 15".

VogonPoet said:
Well, I hope for your (our) part that they can fix it, but since this seems to be affecting ALL of the new 15" PB's, I think they'll have to replace the LCD screen with a different model.

I visited my local Apple Store today and ALL of the new 15" Powerbooks on display had exactly the same horizontal line issue with their display. I had a long discussion with the tech (genius) and he documented the whole thing and filed a 'ticket' with Apple Engineering. Maybe if enough people make a fuss about this and let Apple know that it is simply not acceptable, they might do a large recall-and-replace on these units. Who knows... but I'm not holding my breath.

rickeym

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
Does this only effect the 15" model

I've heard conflicting reports on which models are effected. Does the horizontal lines issue only effect the 15" model or does the 17" model also have this problem?

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Jeeze, I was planning to buy a brand new 15" PB on Monday but now I'm not so sure I want to get it. I'll go to the store and check out the models, I may just get it and wait for a fix I suppose..

-lieb39

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
I would really appreciate some photos of the new machine, the new screen etc.
I'm starting to consider the 17" model..

Decisions decisions...

Fireburst

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2005
I've ordered a new 15" today so when it arrives early next week I will let you all know if this issue is present in this one. Are all these PB's with the issue US based or worldwide? (I am in the UK).

mactim

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
The 17" has the occasional screen jumping, but this issue has (supposedly) been fixed with the 10.4.3 update. When I took my 15" back to the Apple store, all the 15s on display had the 'scan lines' issue, but the 17" LCD models looked fine.

rickeym said:
I've heard conflicting reports on which models are effected. Does the horizontal lines issue only effect the 15" model or does the 17" model also have this problem?

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Well it seems Apple's engineers are actually taking a look at this issue. After talking with some friends around the US and reading a few different forums I honestly feel this is a widespread problem. I've seen post from people in other countries (other than US) claiming to see this problem as well. Every Apple store in Michigan has this issue (display models as well). This includes a few other retailers that sell Apple products as well. And those ones didn't recieve new PowerBooks for at least a week or so after annoucement.

One thing we have to remember, not everyone is going to post. Heck alot of people don't even surf forums. So again I feel this is going to be a long and dreadful fix, because Apple's going to have to possibly halt production and fix the screen issues. Or this will haunt them for a very looooooong time...

On a side note, there's a few people at the office I had take a look at my PowerBook. Some at first didn't see the problem at first. So I can see where some claim to not have lines and may just be overlooking them...

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
If its hard to notice...

If its hard to notice the lines, but easy to notice the upgraded components... is it really worth the hassle of replacement?

We put up with ghosting on lcds... but I wont pay this much for a portable PC.

$

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
revisionA said:
If its hard to notice the lines, but easy to notice the upgraded components... is it really worth the hassle of replacement?

We put up with ghosting on lcds... but I wont pay this much for a portable PC.

$

Apart from the screen then what components have been upgraded since the previous revision? If you are happy to accept a substandard screen then that's your choice. Enjoy your substandard laptop.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah Apple neglected to update the processor or video card, well they gave us the 128mb ati standard (15/17) and DL superdrives (which in 3 years owning/using a PowerBook I've never burned one DVD). The biggest update IMO is the freaking screen and they failed to deliver. Heck if they would of put in 7448's and maybe sata drives or something then I can see dealing with the screen(not really); it'd make it easier to deal with.
is it really worth the hassle of replacement?
Again considering the display is the big update, yes I'm livid at this point, I WANT MY SCREEN FIXED...

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Upgrade list for D to E

ddr2 instead of ddr
longer battery life
factory installed 7200rpm drive
pay nothing more for 128mb vram
pay nothing more for superdrive

and then...

22% brighter screen on 15 inch, 46% on 17s
more resolution and support for 30 inch ACD

the cpu and bus speed is unchanged, but the system is still very solid.

I know this, Apple customers are pickier than Mercedes Benz customers.

$

VisualForces

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
It doesn't matter what the system has in it if the display isn't as good. I could have the fastest supercomputer in the world and still have a difficult time doing my job with lines on my screen. Notice I said difficult...I didn't say impossible. I just don't see the fault in wanting an upgraded panel to look as "solid" as the older models. If they slapped an older model screen on mine, I'd honestly be happy.

Oh...and the 15" screens aren't 22% brighter...they have more pixels. Apple's advertising is a bit misleading about that...but that's a whole other topic :cool:

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
revisionA said:
I know this, Apple customers are pickier than Mercedes Benz customers.

And rightfully so, seeing as how they spend about twice as much for Apple products. For $2000, I sure as hell better have a VERY nice screen to look at.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I wonder how noticeable these lines are. I went to the Apple Store last week (before paying much attention to this issue) and played with a 15" PB there for about 5 minutes. I was looking closely at the screen since I was interested in the brightness/resolution improvement, and never once noticed any lines on the screen.

Maybe they were there, maybe they weren't, but I sure didn't notice them. I'll have my new PB in a couple of weeks (well, I guess pending any "recall" issued by Apple) and I'll see what happens.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
ddr2 instead of ddr
What was the point if it can't use the speed of ddr2? Help battery life?
longer battery life
Ok this was a nice small perk
factory installed 7200rpm drive
At a premium price
pay nothing more for 128mb vram
Apple had to cut prices
pay nothing more for superdrive
Again Apple had to cut prices, they didn't really give much to this update. And the main update has a major flaw in the 15's.

Maybe I'm picky, but as someone mentioned that when you pay a PREMIUM for an Apple PowerBook, you better believe we want top notch. If I wanted an HP for 999.00 I would of taken the cheap route, but I opted for a Pro machine.

Fireburst

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2005
If I was a gambling man I would say the fault was probably interference with the signal from the graphics card to the LCD as I remember seeing something similar a few years ago. Perhaps it's just a matter of something needs better shielding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.