Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
How many times are people going to repeat this? What's wrong with wanting something as opposed to needing it? If you have the money and it wouldn't be a financial setback you deem unreasonable there's absolutely nothing wrong with indulging in "wants".

Who needs any of this stuff half their signatures betray their point automatically I have found that this forum is really just a place to make people feel good about themselves by being horrible to children. Some of these posts are so cliche they are almost soporific to read. Cue idiots looking at my profile to get dirt on me to insult! Quite low on here recently.

mdee4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Because there are more important things in life to save up for. College? Car payments? Living expenses? Kids should have a savings account, and spending every dime they make will lead them down the road for a miserable life when they get older.

Dude, did you not read this stuff?? I DO save my money and I almost never buy anything! Now I'm just asking for a phone.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I would recommend that you try and talk in an adult and mature manner with your dad: Start with something along the lines of:
"I respect your view that I shouldn't get a new phone but can you please let me explain why I would like to upgrade it to the new one"

Then explain how you've looked after your current one for two years and are prepared to pay for the new one yourself so it won't cost him any money. Explain that you understand it's a lot of money but that you feel mature enough to be responsible for such an expensive phone. Try and think of some reasons as to why the new phone would be beneficial.

If he still says no, it's important not to turn it into a big argument because all that will happen will be he'll dig his heals in even more and you'll never get one: You need to take the confrontational aspect away from any conversation about the phone

Incidentally, how old are you? (only asking because it could be important in deciding how you should tackle the problem)

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Because there are more important things in life to save up for. College? Car payments? Living expenses? Kids should have a savings account, and spending every dime they make will lead them down the road for a miserable life when they get older.

We are getting this because he wants an iPhone?

I wish I could get the actually number of people here who bugged their parents for something when they were younger and got it yet are here trying to bash the kids for this.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...but 100 replies of it, seriously?
You forgot to put the "like" in there. ;)

Anyways, what you consider flames are what other posters consider help. "Life's not fair, get over it" is only a flame in your eyes because that is not the advice you want to hear. All you want to listen to is advice where you end up with a new phone. If you didn't want to see disagreeing opinions, you might want to reconsider posting on an internet forum such as this.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Its NOT about the money! We have the money! He just doesn't want me to get it cause he says I don't need it.
So now how do I convince him to let me get it???

Let's see. "We" don't have the money. Your father has the money. Or maybe he actually doesn't. Do you know how much debt your family has? Maybe your family was one of those that overspend $1000 or more every month and hoping that house prices will compensate? And he figured that is leading to bankruptcy? Maybe he used to do overtime, and now he's happy to have a full time job?

Parents tend to hide these kinds of problems from their kids. If that is the case, then your dad could be right now under a tremendous amount of stress, and having you wanting more and more and more and more doesn't help.

mdee4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Incidentally, how old are you? (only asking because it could be important in deciding how you should tackle the problem)

I'm 16

You forgot to put the "like" in there. ;)

Anyways, what you consider flames are what other posters consider help. "Life's not fair, get over it" is only a flame in your eyes because that is not the advice you want to hear. All you want to listen to is advice where you end up with a new phone. If you didn't want to see disagreeing opinions, you might want to reconsider posting on an internet forum such as this.

I knew there was gonna be "constructive" criticism, but I didn't realize I would get apparently 100 adults yelling at me about it! I understand getting criticized completely, just not so much, thats all.

I mean haven't you guys ever tried to get something, your parents said "NO" so you asked some friends for some help?? Well hopefully when you did that, you didn't have evreyone saying criticism and like 5 people trying to help out of 100.

mdee4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Let's see. "We" don't have the money. Your father has the money. Or maybe he actually doesn't. Do you know how much debt your family has? Maybe your family was one of those that overspend $1000 or more every month and hoping that house prices will compensate? And he figured that is leading to bankruptcy? Maybe he used to do overtime, and now he's happy to have a full time job?

Parents tend to hide these kinds of problems from their kids. If that is the case, then your dad could be right now under a tremendous amount of stress, and having you wanting more and more and more and more doesn't help.

"I" have the money for it!!! We are not in debt. MONEY is not the issue. I have the money to get the phone and upgraded plan, etc. Its just my Dad says I don't need it, so I just want to get some ideas on what to say to convince him. What would you do if you were in my position?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Personally, I would think at 16 you're old enough to at least have a say in what you want to spend your own money on, and your Dad shouldn't be so hard on you!

My daughter's only 11 at the moment but if, when she gets to 16, she wanted to spend her savings the latest iPhone I'd certainly let her as long as I felt she was mature enough to look after it.

I'd definitely try and sit down and have a conversation with him to find out what his objections are. Once you know that, you can try and address them with sensible debate and counter point.

It could be that your Dad genuinely doesn't understand why you want to upgrade, and if you present your case well enough you could change his mind. Of course, he could also just be saying no to assert his authority, in which case you probably don't have much chance...

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Dude, did you not read this stuff?? I DO save my money and I almost never buy anything! Now I'm just asking for a phone.

We are getting this because he wants an iPhone?

I wish I could get the actually number of people here who bugged their parents for something when they were younger and got it yet are here trying to bash the kids for this.

I am 21, so I am not an old fart talking about when I was a kid in the 1930's. When I bugged my parents for a toy, it was stupid things like $15 pegs for my bike, a pack of baseball or pokemon cards, some hotwheels, or stuff like that. I never bugged my parents for anything expensive. Ever, because I knew I wouldn't get it. When I worked, earning $6.50 an hour at my high school on the tech team, I had to save half of my paychecks for college. I was working 25 hours a week, so I brought home, after tax, maybe $130, - half I had to save: $65. When I got to school, I had sticker shock. $550 PER SEMESTER for books ($1100 a year), JUST for books alone. Food expenses? Actually doing stuff with friends, none of that is free.

So you saved your money, thats good. But do you really need a 3GS? Thats all. Car insurance for a 16 year old might be very expensive. I am paying $200 a month at age 21 with a perfect driving record. Thats more than my monthly car payment. Bills suck. Had I not saved a lot of money when I was younger, my current college life would be miserable. Every year I watch my debt climb and climb, but its lower than it could be.

Like I said before, parents house, parents rules. Don't like it? Move away.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Why? I like my Grandpa!

Uh, I know you're 16, but like, your Dad when he becomes Grandpa, like, you know?

"I" have the money for it!!! We are not in dept. MONEY is not the issue. I have the money to get the phone and upgraded plan, etc. Its just my Dad says I don't need it, so I just want to get some ideas on what to say to convince him. What would you do if you were in my position?

See the thread that you read from me regarding Dad becoming Grandpa. You're SOL.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Okay, that's enough. Cut the crap, everyone.

He has stated multiple times that he would be paying for the phone and service with his own money. He has also stated that his father would take the phone away or even involve the police should he go behind his father's back.

This behavior from the father leads me to believe that no amount of persuasion can convince him to allow his son to get a new phone.

This being said, OP, you need to stick with your 2G until such time as your father isn't making the rules. There is nothing we can do, and I feel pity for you for having a parent that is so narrow-sighted.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I knew there was gonna be "constructive" criticism, but I didn't realize I would get apparently 100 adults yelling at me about it! I understand getting criticized completely, just not so much, thats all.

I mean haven't you guys ever tried to get something, your parents said "NO" so you asked some friends for some help?? Well hopefully when you did that, you didn't have evreyone saying criticism and like 5 people trying to help out of 100.

Just like 4 out of 5 dentists can't be wrong, 5 out of 100 usually are wrong. Yes, most of us are older, but we've been there. We are now wiser. Listen, and perhaps today is the day you grow up a bit. When you are 100% independent financially and out on your own, you can blow your money any way you want to.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, that's enough. Cut the crap, everyone.

While his grammar leaves something to be desired, he has stated multiple times that he would be paying for the phone and service with his own money. He has also stated that his father would take the phone away or even involve the police should he go behind his father's back.

This behavior from the father leads me to believe that no amount of persuasion can convince him to allow his son to get a new phone.

This being said, OP, you need to stick with your 2G until such time as your father isn't making the rules. There is nothing we can do, and I feel pity for you for having a parent that is so narrow-sighted.

Now let's close this thread and save him from further mockery, shall we?

I bet my 3GS that his dad wouldn't call the police.

Smooth4Lyfe

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
People told me I didnt need my HDTV but I bought it anyways...just buy the phone and be happy if money is not an option, ur dad shouldnt have full control on how you spend your money since u 16

mdee4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Just let it alone but every time a new iphone commercial comes on scream look the new iphone i want that sooooo bad like seriously sorry op but its funny
that would probably work though

THIS DOESN"T WORK!!!! I'm not allowed to do this! If i do my phone will get taken away. My Dad won't even look at the commercial when it comes on!

Smooth4Lyfe

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I'm 16

Its the internet people will say what they want, I bet u half of these people wont talk all this trash in person

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
"I" have the money for it!!! We are not in dept. MONEY is not the issue. I have the money to get the phone and upgraded plan, etc. Its just my Dad says I don't need it, so I just want to get some ideas on what to say to convince him. What would you do if you were in my position?

Speaking as a Dad who's had a similar experience with a teenager bugging him for similar items, I would back off for a few days and let everything calm down.

If your Mother supports you, sit down with the both of them next weekend and have a calm conversation about it. Don't lose you temper and have a strop because it will only make things worse.

Another thought, have you done anything lately that has upset your Dad? Is your bedroom a mess, have you been asked to do any household chores and not bothered doing them? Little things like this may not seem important to you but can drive you parents nuts and influence them to make awkward decisions in times like these.

At the end of the day, you will have to be prepared to accept that you might not be able to have a 3GS. Remember, your Dad is only doing what he thinks is right for you, even if you don't appreciate it at this time.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There are really two options.

1) do not buy the phone (now but perhaps later when your dad says you can)

2) buy the phone and deal with the consequences.

An often used phrase is that it's easier to give forgiveness than it is to give permission.

Perhaps your biggest problem (now) is that you pursued it too much instead of asking once and then buying it anyway. Or just buying it without asking altogether.

I'm not advocating going against your father. But like with anything you will face in life - there are ALWAYS options. We sometimes just don't like them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.