Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanEiga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
The last time I ever plugged in a pair of headphone in to the headphone jack was probably in college.

I used to use the Aux cable input from my car a lot, but then I got a new car that was equipped with bluetooth and usb input last year, and the headphone jack was since then, never ever utilized.

Therefore, personally the headphone jack is next to useless for me, but I can see how people would miss it.

How did people react when MBA/MBP with Retina Display/iMac came out with no CD rom?

I think it will just be another CD rom thing, where people kinda go, shoot what the hell is apple thinking? and then after a few months/year everyone's just gonna forget about it because they will be able to get adaptors/new bluetooth technology that compensates the loss of sound quality/other alternatives.

What you think?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well I don't comment on headphone jack thing but CD already becomes a Japanese-exclusive market most of the time for now. Their major media distribution heavily relies on disks, either CD or BD or whatever.
So I do miss it because I have a bunch. But um, yeah. That's it.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Honestly I just don't like all the new fancy audio stuff.

I don't like bluetooth audio. I like it when there is no latency, no interference, and I don't want to have to spend a whole minute connecting my headphones wirelessly. Sure you could compare it to Wifi VS Ethernet, but that's a case where you have to connect devices that are far away, so of course Wifi is more convenient. And it works well, seamlessly, and everyone has adopted the software, while not the same is done with BT Headphones. If it's faster and if isn't a problem for me, why should I pair a device instead of just connecting to the headphone jack and that's it?

I also don't like using Apple's proprietary connector. What about everything else I have? Apple probably won't adopt USB-C on their mobile devices so that means I can ONLY use my headphones with Apple products 2012 and later. I can't even use my old 30-pin iPods and stuff for them. Let alone every other product to exist.

So honestly I'm closed until I can have my portable consoles, smartphone, computer, and the device of every single person on earth be compatible with a single pair of headphones. My EarPods currently work with a GameBoy Color for ****'s sake. It'll be such an inconvenience if I have to have two pairs of headphones when some new wireless (or crappy wired) standard will be introduced and all my old devices be incompatible with it. It's like removing RGB analogue from consoles in 2002 when HDTVs are not even a standard. Apple should have waited. Also, the fact that they are going to (according to rumours) supply Lightning EarPods instead of wireless EarPods is just beating yourself with a hammer.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's nothing like the CD scenario because there's no advantage to Lightning-wired headphones. There was an advantage in dropping the CD drive because there was something to upgrade to: flash-storage USB sticks, which can hold much more data than CDs, they have much faster access speeds, there are less moving parts, and they're smaller.

There is no comparable advantage to theoretical Lightning headphones, and wireless is a downgrade in terms of sound quality when you care about that. Fortunately for Apple, the 'casual consumer' couldn't give a ****.

Maybe if Lightning had special-case uses like true surround sound, maaaaaybe it has potential and I could consider it similar to the CD scenario. But then again, like with sound-quality, the average consumer doesn't give a ****

All this is about is to sell more Beats by forcing a port change on their main product. Yes, there will be 3.5mm adapters if the port-change happens, but they won't come bundled, no way in hell. You will be buying one if you get an iPhone 7 and already have headphones.

Reactions: zhenya

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Will/do airlines allow Bluetooth ear buds/headsets? Or will we need to use lightning port adapters?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I love the pedantic proclamations of the Golden Ears. Too funny. This is driving them as batty as MP3 did. Meanwhile the rest of the world moved on.
Because it's true, there is a noticeable loss in sound quality when you go wireless. Take a high-quality set of wired headphones, listen to a high-quality music file, and then compare that to bluetooth. It's just worse.

But if you physically can't hear it, then you just can't hear it, and I can't help you there.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Stopped using wired when it became annoying to have to be tethered to my phone. Like walking from Metro to the office. Especially in winter. Much prefer my BT.
In the car, I've been connecting via the car's BT for years.
So no big deal to me, I've already moved on.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I still use wired headphones simply because of the convenience of draining less battery life and not having to charge one more device.

Some high end Bluetooth headphones sound really good so the quality reduction argument is false. A lot of it is in your head.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Because it's true, there is a noticeable loss in sound quality when you go wireless. Take a high-quality set of wired headphones, listen to a high-quality music file, and then compare that to bluetooth. It's just worse.

That's your opinion, not a universal truth. Headphone "sound quality", by which you really mean "sound signature", is 100% subjective. It's entirely possible to prefer the sound signature of a pair of BT headphones over that of a particular wired set.

But if you physically can't hear it, then you just can't hear it, and I can't help you there.

Yep, the Golden Ears love to question everyone else's hearing! We're all just tone deaf sheeple.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
It will be dependent upon if Apple releases a dongle of some sort OR if they simply include the same EarPods/heaphones that have a lightning connector on the end. If they do the latter, I don't see what the gripe would be...unless you need a 3.5mm to lightning cable or a lightning to lightning cable :eek:

I'd personally be fine, but we shall see what the keynote holds in a few days...

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I still use wired headphones simply because of the convenience of draining less battery life and not having to charge one more device.

Some high end Bluetooth headphones sound really good so the quality reduction argument is false. A lot of it is in your head.

I LOVE my BT, and it sounds awesome. I wish I'd done it earlier.

I charge my BT in the office or at home before I go out. It's become a habit like always keeping my phone charged before I go out.

Reactions: M. Gustave

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I LOVE my BT, and it sounds awesome. I wish I'd done it earlier.

I charge my BT in the office or at home before I go out. It's become a habit like always keeping my phone charged before I go out.
I do the same with my Bluetooth headphones but I still use wired when I know I won't be around a charging point for long. Like weekend trips, hiking etc.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What you're describing is BT 1.0, not BT 4.0.

Not true. Even modern bluetooth can have regular dropouts going as short a distance as from a back pocket to your ears. Any runner who uses their phone and bluetooth headphones is aware of this. Bluetooth sucks at penetrating through the human body. This is why those new completely wireless earbuds had to come up with another wireless method of transmitting from ear to ear.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Not true. Even modern bluetooth can have regular dropouts going as short a distance as from a back pocket to your ears.

I've never once experienced that. I use Bluetooth exclusively now, at home and away, and it's rock solid, although maybe every maker doesn't implement BT as well as Bose and Sony. I don't use other brands anymore.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's nothing like the CD scenario because there's no advantage to Lightning-wired headphones.
You don't know this, and you won't until Sept 7. There very well may be advantages from Lightning headphones.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I'm personally not bothered. I only use my headphones when I'm out for a walk, and never when my phone is on charge. I'm fairly certain Apple will release an adaptor either inside the box or severally so existing headphones can be used.

In general I'm seeing more and more people use BT headphones, so the problem to a lot of people will not exist. Next year others will begin to do the same, infact haven't a number of other phone manufacturers already started on the back of the rumours?

It will be something Apple will get slated for, then others who mocked it will do it without the controversy.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I use my iPhone and watch to present keynotes. i also use video and audio clips. now i will have to find a work-around - possibly bluetooth, not sure, or just not upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.