How many people are on your MacRumors 'Ignore' list? V2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AngerDanger, Feb 6, 2019.

?

How many people are on your Macrumors 'Ignore' list?

1. 0 - I don't have a problem with any particular user

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. 0 - I can tolerate the posts I dislike, and can't be bothered going the extent of ignoring them

72 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. 1

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. 2

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. 3-5

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. 6-10

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. 11-20

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 20+

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

This is something I've been wondering (and wanting to create a poll) about for a little while given the many threads in Site and Forum Feedback about various aspects of the ignore feature. Feel free to elaborate on whichever number range you chose.

As it turns out, there's already a poll on this, but it's from nearly a decade ago. I decided that rather than necromance an old thread, I'd create a second version; that way we can see what has changed over the past nine years.

For myself, there are zero people I've ignored. That number used to be one, but that person was suspended, so I removed their name. As a fan of Apple products who is still dissatisfied with certain aspects of the company, I'm open to a range of opinions. But this user was inarticulate, agrammatical, and always always negative; it felt like a genuine waste of time reading their posts.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

4. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Zero. I chose the second option on the poll.

I've never really felt the need to ignore / block / whathaveyou anyone on the internet. If a certain user or their posts start to irritate me, I go for a walk, listen to some music, or just go look at dogs on the internet. Really too much hassle to get riled up about someone I don't even know and start figuring out how the ignore function even works.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

None now, and until now, there have been none whom I have ignored.

But, I will admit that occasionally I am tempted to place someone on ignore.

6. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Quite a few… though when I went to count I found that many have been Suspended.
    *shrug*

7. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

8. jeyf macrumors 6502a

9. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

None, but had a few earlier.
    But as someone said, the context sometimes becomes weird.

Can still ignore people totally, without having them on ignore, not a problem :p
    I’ve warmed up on MR now.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

None, although one person has relentlessly tempted me multiple times...

11. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Just everyone on his weirdly empty thread. /jk

No, I did before then I decided to put them back online, now I just shrug - I mean I can't be bothered anymore - I've had too many real issues to deal with to worry about stuff like this.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Most of them went on to be suspended. There are some I just don't want to see their threads in the forum list and some whose opinions are 180º to mine. I don't have issues with people who have different viewpoints or opinions, that's what forum discussion is for. But when certain of those people I've ignored take every opportunity to say "You're wrong" or go on to explain why I am an idiot - I don't need to see that.

So, those people are on my ignore list.

13. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

None, though occasionally the Moon Landing Deniers, Flat Earthers, and Anti-Vaxxers wear me out a little here and elsewhere. I think eyoungren must post on here alot more then me I'm not sure 92 people have posted on all the threads I have posted on.
    -Tig

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

15. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

A few, not sure how many but not a lot.

I generally go where I learn, laugh or discuss things with knowledgeable folks here now.

I am glad there are alternate forums to shut off the noise (including my own).

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not many but a few, I had no idea you could actually look at your list. I've found that most that I have put on there are also suspended. Still would like to know the need for the 'suspended" label, outside of shaming them.

17. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

None, unless you count the entire PRSI forum! :rolleyes:

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I ignore no one right now, and most of the people I've ignored in the past have been suspended anyway. Once in awhile I go through any list that has grown during say an election season (or post-launch of some gear like an iPhone!) and prune out the whole thing, figuring everyone deserves a second chance. I picked the 2nd option on the poll.

Just as a little gift to anyone contemplating utility of the "ignore member" option: it can be costly even to remark on the boards about one's specific prospective use of the ignore button, or even to [snarkily?] recommend its use in a post specifically addressed to another member. Apparently that is provocative, not to say a trolling offense. So if one plans to deploy the feature, just have at it. If one wishes that someone else would be happier using the feature,,,, let them come to that conclusion unassisted lol.

19. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

2 people. One from long ago, one recently that went out of their way to attack people just to attack them. I don't usually ignore. I can't remember why I ignored the first person so removing them now. I guess that leaves 1 now (no one in this thread).

Like @ericgtr12 - didn't know you could see the list, lol.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

For me it's not necessarily just about disagreeing with someone, it can be the sheer volume of posts one makes that forces me to weed through it to find other content. It has multiple benefits and is one of the better features on this board, the only drawback is that you still see them in the Latest Replies section of the sidebar but that's easy enough to ignore.

All I think I can say here without getting in trouble is that I agree. ;)

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Provocation....hmmm there are some mysterious metrics being used...

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I've always found you to be fair and rational in that forum, it is rare.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL as Francis Urquhart was wont to say in the British version of House of Cards, "You might think so but I could not possibly comment."

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I know what you mean.

Some of those who had offered strong temptation of the reach for the ignore button type of temptation seem to have been suspended in the meantime.

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yep... noticing that one day in a list I had a the time was when I decided well if that's how it's going to be maybe just skip reading specific threads for awhile.

My own experience has been that in threads in which one is a participant, or those one is at least temporarily quite interested in following, it can get much harder to follow the thread after awhile: you don't see ignored members' contributions but the flow of the thread to relevant subtopics and back to main topic can start to seem incoherent, when in fact it may not be all that drifty.