How many people are on your MacRumors 'Ignore' list? V2

How many people are on your Macrumors 'Ignore' list?

• 0 - I don't have a problem with any particular user

Votes: 36 18.4%
  • 0 - I can tolerate the posts I dislike, and can't be bothered going the extent of ignoring them

Votes: 98 50.0%

Votes: 16 8.2%

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 3-5

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 6-10

• 11-20

• 20+

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
This is something I've been wondering (and wanting to create a poll) about for a little while given the many threads in Site and Forum Feedback about various aspects of the ignore feature. Feel free to elaborate on whichever number range you chose.

As it turns out, there's already a poll on this, but it's from nearly a decade ago. I decided that rather than necromance an old thread, I'd create a second version; that way we can see what has changed over the past nine years.

For myself, there are zero people I've ignored. That number used to be one, but that person was suspended, so I removed their name. As a fan of Apple products who is still dissatisfied with certain aspects of the company, I'm open to a range of opinions. But this user was inarticulate, agrammatical, and always always negative; it felt like a genuine waste of time reading their posts.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Zero. I chose the second option on the poll.

I've never really felt the need to ignore / block / whathaveyou anyone on the internet. If a certain user or their posts start to irritate me, I go for a walk, listen to some music, or just go look at dogs on the internet. Really too much hassle to get riled up about someone I don't even know and start figuring out how the ignore function even works.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
None, but had a few earlier.
But as someone said, the context sometimes becomes weird.

Can still ignore people totally, without having them on ignore, not a problem :p
I’ve warmed up on MR now.

Reactions: LizKat

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just everyone on his weirdly empty thread. /jk

No, I did before then I decided to put them back online, now I just shrug - I mean I can't be bothered anymore - I've had too many real issues to deal with to worry about stuff like this.

Reactions: arkitect

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

Most of them went on to be suspended. There are some I just don't want to see their threads in the forum list and some whose opinions are 180º to mine. I don't have issues with people who have different viewpoints or opinions, that's what forum discussion is for. But when certain of those people I've ignored take every opportunity to say "You're wrong" or go on to explain why I am an idiot - I don't need to see that.

So, those people are on my ignore list.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Quite a few… though when I went to count I found that many have been Suspended.
*shrug*
Not many but a few, I had no idea you could actually look at your list. I've found that most that I have put on there are also suspended. Still would like to know the need for the 'suspended" label, outside of shaming them.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I ignore no one right now, and most of the people I've ignored in the past have been suspended anyway. Once in awhile I go through any list that has grown during say an election season (or post-launch of some gear like an iPhone!) and prune out the whole thing, figuring everyone deserves a second chance. I picked the 2nd option on the poll.

EDIT: well :D I changed my vote later on, and am now temporarily ignoring one person.​

Just as a little gift to anyone contemplating utility of the "ignore member" option: it can be costly even to remark on the boards about one's specific prospective use of the ignore button, or even to [snarkily?] recommend its use in a post specifically addressed to another member. Apparently that is provocative, not to say a trolling offense. So if one plans to deploy the feature, just have at it. If one wishes that someone else would be happier using the feature,,,, let them come to that conclusion unassisted lol.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
I ignore no one right now, and most of the people I've ignored in the past have been suspended anyway. Once in awhile I go through any list that has grown during say an election season (or post-launch of some gear like an iPhone!) and prune out the whole thing, figuring everyone deserves a second chance. I picked the 2nd option on the poll.
For me it's not necessarily just about disagreeing with someone, it can be the sheer volume of posts one makes that forces me to weed through it to find other content. It has multiple benefits and is one of the better features on this board, the only drawback is that you still see them in the Latest Replies section of the sidebar but that's easy enough to ignore.

Just as a little gift to anyone contemplating utility of the "ignore member" option: it can be costly even to remark on the boards about one's specific prospective use of the ignore button, or even to [snarkily?] recommend its use in a post specifically addressed to another member. Apparently that is provocative, not to say a trolling offense. So if one plans to deploy the feature, just have at it. If one wishes that someone else would be happier using the feature,,,, let them come to that conclusion unassisted lol.
All I think I can say here without getting in trouble is that I agree. ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Provocation....hmmm there are some mysterious metrics being used...

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015

Most of them went on to be suspended. There are some I just don't want to see their threads in the forum list and some whose opinions are 180º to mine. I don't have issues with people who have different viewpoints or opinions, that's what forum discussion is for. But when certain of those people I've ignored take every opportunity to say "You're wrong" or go on to explain why I am an idiot - I don't need to see that.

So, those people are on my ignore list.
I've always found you to be fair and rational in that forum, it is rare.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I know what you mean.

Some of those who had offered strong temptation of the reach for the ignore button type of temptation seem to have been suspended in the meantime.
Yep... noticing that one day in a list I had a the time was when I decided well if that's how it's going to be maybe just skip reading specific threads for awhile.

My own experience has been that in threads in which one is a participant, or those one is at least temporarily quite interested in following, it can get much harder to follow the thread after awhile: you don't see ignored members' contributions but the flow of the thread to relevant subtopics and back to main topic can start to seem incoherent, when in fact it may not be all that drifty.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.