How many people are on your MacRumors 'Ignore' list? V2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AngerDanger, Feb 6, 2019.

?

How many people are on your Macrumors 'Ignore' list?

1. 0 - I don't have a problem with any particular user

27 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. 0 - I can tolerate the posts I dislike, and can't be bothered going the extent of ignoring them

72 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. 1

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. 2

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. 3-5

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. 6-10

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. 11-20

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 20+

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. LizKat, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hell I have to pipe in here I think... I actually get up the morning sometimes just to see if AD stayed up late lighting candles. That beats starting my morning with what the press has to say about... stuff. The great thing about reading over the top posts before a cuppa coffee is that they can seem right on the money.

Fascinating that the poll leans so heavily to people not using the ignore button. We may be more tolerant than we choose to let on, else we're either incredibly lazy or amazingly well adjusted in being willing to at least glimpse-read a lot of things that don't jibe with our own views.

2. givemeanapple, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019

givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Don't take it too seriously, he's hilarious and entertaining.

3. AngerDanger thread starter macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Hahaha HA! Keys is a bit of a jokester as well! He tries to goad me into making GIFs by describing something so stupidly absurd that I can't resist. Tonight it just so happens that he managed to (nearly) perfectly describe my final portfolio. This was shortly after I got my knife privileges back and before they transferred me to that post-graduate program with the neat art installation that made all the walls seem like they were covered in padding. Eye Twitch Crazy Emoji.gif

As you can see, I actually used a Jony/Steve hybrid, and Keys didn't quite get the wording correct:

[​IMG]

One day, I will be able to tell Steve Johns that he is beautiful, my daughter, and my princess.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Think of the money you could be making with that obsession those skills, instead of so generously entertaining us for free. :D

I've discovered a few MR gear subforums that almost make me change my vote in here. I most often just lurk in them, but sometimes trying to scarf up serious opinions of some gear (at least serious as indicated by a sober thread title) can get really annoying if you have to wade through pages of one-line snark. I'm sure the answer is not to bother to set up ignores on those members, but just keep scrolling... still, dozens and dozens in a row can make me bookmark the page I'm on and bail sometimes.

Not sure if they need some good gifs over there to break up their monotony, or just a 2x4 upside the head. Anyway they seem be be in transmit mode, not really reading and replying to stuff in the threads, so it would be a waste to drop gif bombs in there.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Sweet golem. Love is a powerful word. And accurate.

EDIT: that’s a vintage reference about the beautiful daughter princess. Boy does that take me back.

EDIT 2: the vintage reference I mention above was about a thread half a year ago that got deleted but which we were both involved in.

EDIT 3: I may also have told AD on several occasions that he’s my princess and he’s forgotten all about that other thread.

EDIT 4: ****. Forgot I said anything.

6. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Great to see so many people on here not blocking people. It’s healthy to engage with people who you disagree with. They may give a well constructed agrgument that may change your view point. Only engaging with people you agree with, just reinforces your own views. Obviously if someone is continuously offensive, then I can see the reason to block them.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don’t mistake “not blocking” for “engaging with.”

8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

*meekly suggests the new MacBook Pro might have some positives over the earlier generation*

“You goddamn Apple apologist Kool-Aid drinker, you’ll burn along with Tim CROOK in the very depths of Hell”

I love a healthy discussion on MacRumors.

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

Doesn't beat the casual racism I saw the other day. Apple and Tim Cook are a slippery bunch. I've relegated them to just above Dell in the early 2000s with all the mess they've wound themselves up in. Brings a new reason to use the phrase "Christ on a bike."

Just utter useless tomfoolery at Cupertino.

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I... I don’t know if you’re quoting a post or making a point. Somebody please help me.

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

Is there a specific quote taken from a post? Or is an expression used to amplify the current state of Apple and how it may impact opinions members may have?

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Life is too short to allow certain internet users to clutter my forum topic list or any threads I may be engaged in. I have my best day when I don't have to see, hear or otherwise deal with the negativity or BS drama these people generate.

13. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Mostly I ignore people who use stupid ass fonts.

That crap is good for instant ignore from me. On any forum.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Understandable position. I just try ignore the ones I think are here and appear to not be here to help, be productive, or contribute anything rational. Like you, I have my moments where I wish I could step through the screen and have a come to Jesus moment with the other person. :D The forum is easy to traverse without using the ignore list. It is daily life that can be hard, as a lot of BS and drama (read: meaningless drivel) is often thrust upon me and some of the dysfunctional particulars (people) leave me no choice but to confront.

Come to think of it, I do use the ignore option when MR gets a foreign spammer.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I try to do that (ignore certain people) too. There are plenty of people I 'ignore' without actually putting on my ignore list.

On the other hand though, there are certain individuals who are prolific about certain things and I'd rather not deal with that.

I generally spend most of my time in three or four different areas so while it IS easy to navigate I am usually bouncing around those areas to see what's new.

I respect that you and a lot of the others here can just tune out and move on, and quite frankly, I could too. But while this forum is a shared personal space, sometimes people consistently crowd your little slice of that space. That's when "talk to the hand" comes out. For me anyway.

16. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

So this gets me wondering... Am I on anyone's ignore list?

Is there any way we could add "Members who Ignore you" as a statistic? Come to think of it, it might become a contest, and that wouldn't be good.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Heh I use that other button when I see one of those. I report one and figure the mods realize there are 200 just like it scattered around the boards somewhere. They must have a macro to deal with them by now... ban member, nuke posts, all good, next case...

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

@chown33, @Doctor Q was tracking users' friends lists for a short time, but not the ignore list.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An important and key distinction drawn here.

20. Calebtt macrumors member

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very often, the issue is not "their opinion", rather, it is how they choose to express what may be "their opinion."
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    Yes, I always report such posts (and threads) as well.

22. Matz Contributor

Matz

I’ve had only one person on my ignore list from awhile back, forgot about them until reading this thread, so decided to have a look.

Sure enough, “Suspended.”

My ignore list is back to zero, and will most likely stay that way. But it’s nice to have options.

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Even when their opinion revolves around you and all your faults (perceived or otherwise)?

24. Calebtt macrumors member

It's easy to just scroll by.

25. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Personal attacks are against the rules of the forum. Simple.