How many people are on your MacRumors 'Ignore' list? V2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AngerDanger, Feb 6, 2019.

?

How many people are on your Macrumors 'Ignore' list?

1. 0 - I don't have a problem with any particular user

27 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. 0 - I can tolerate the posts I dislike, and can't be bothered going the extent of ignoring them

72 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. 1

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. 2

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. 3-5

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. 6-10

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. 11-20

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 20+

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sure. But it's even easier never to see them at all.

I get it. I'm just not so enlightened that I don't issue a silent F* you as I scroll by.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    And most of the time the mods take care of it. Which is how so many people on my ignore list ended up suspended. :)

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

It's not so much tolerating posts one doesn't like. Rather cancelling out meaningless noise when it gets too frequent. When someones posts are deliberately trolling and all over threads like fungi, why even take the time and "effort" to filter it out by yourself when the forum provides means for it? There's always the option of using the "show ignored posts" option if you are curious.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

It was only the counts of Followers and Following, not the lists. Automating retrieval of the list would be difficult, it would multiply the per-user data many times over, and I can't think of a good use for it, since it would be a very poor approximation of a social-network graph. The Follows counts change very little over time, so other than including them in Top 50, they're not that interesting.

There's no public access to an ignore list. I can't visit anyone's Profile Page and see how many people are being ignored, nor who they might be. I don't know if an Admin or Moderator can.

For members who block access to their Profile Page, I can't see their Followers or Following info, either. I have to ask Doctor Q for the counts of such users in the Top 50. For example, top poster @maflynn blocks Profile Page access, while @Doctor Q doesn't. As a result, you can see how much Follows action the latter has, but not the former.

4. AngerDanger thread starter macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

It's also interesting to see how this poll compares to the one taken in the same sub forum nearly ten years ago.

ignorepoll.gif

Although it's always leaned so heavily towards small ignore lists, it seems to be shifting slightly towards lists of increasing length. A smaller proportion of voters "don't have a problem with any particular user," resulting in the percentage of empty ignore lists decreasing from 82.3% to 67.6%.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That’s quite interesting, and perhaps not so surprising.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I did have a fairly long list once in a post-launch MacBook Pro thread or a couple of them. I was hanging out for quite awhile in advanced window-shopping mode. So the one-line snark throwers made me feel like getting in there and getting banned for showing them how to do their thing right. :rolleyes: I settled for bumping up use of ignores, and cleared them all out one day later when I realized I didn't really need that collection any more.

In those threads I didn't care about maybe missing half of whatever a couple members were arguing about either... I was just trying to understand why this or that feature of an MBP model might be useful to me and I wasn't going to chime into the thread anyway,

Sometimes in a PRSI thread it's easier for me to just leave everyone's posts displayed and for me to scroll down faster if I don't care for some set of exchanges.

7. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

I've got a handful. They are the same ones that jump in any and every thread where anything remotely negative towards Apple has been said. Then they start their "Apple is so great. blah blah blah..." It's almost like they hunt this stuff down to reply to.

I like to hear all sides, good and bad, to try to make informed decisions. If all I got to hear was what came from my "Ignore Group", I'd own everything Apple sells and put all of the rest of my extra money into AAPL.

The only problem with ignoring someone is sometimes in threads, people are replying to one of my ignored group and I don't know what the heck they are talking about.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

That’s why I think it’s easier to employ a bit of self control and discuss around those who annoy you rather than see names and hidden posts. I’ve got no problem not answering someone who I feel is provocative or rude. It’s their problem if they don’t like the fact you’re not answering their demands lol.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

True unless you're dodging a request from another member to support an assertion of fact you don't feel like backing up.

Having put that person on ignore is not going to save you (or at least some post being questioned) if a member reports that you appear to be failing comply with a request for supportive data. If you're ignoring the member, you might not notice the request, especially if you put him on ignore immediately after making some assertion you figure he's not going to go for. However, we can't put mods on ignore, so eventually you'll get a notification and have to deal with it somehow. :D

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think the mods would have a full time job if they enforced a rule that said every statement that a poster portrayed as fact needed to be backed up. Unless someone writes ‘IMO’ after every statement I think it’s safe to assume views are opinions and can be taken at face value.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Sure, of course, but then there are assertions of fact that are not factual. You and I have both seen exchanges on the board that we know resulted in either some credible citations or a suspension. Sometimes it's not good to let something go, especially when it is an assertion that has been debunked a hundred times before. Some of those are worth reporting.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

There are a couple of people on here I just have trouble with sometimes. it may be me problem or a them problem or both. Either way, I would like to stay off of the naughty list as being banned is no fun.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’d never report someone for not providing proof of something they claim is fact to be honest. I think that’s lame and I’ve never known of someone getting suspended for that. Insults and trolling on the other hand should be reported, but different strokes for different folks I suppose. There’s far too much political propaganda in many of the threads on PRSI and many of the sources are non factual opinions in any case.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

To be frank, I find PRSI quite tame compared to some of the vile sewage I've read in the main forums, mainly the Apple news section.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

A lot of the Apple news threads get put in PRSI to begin with... but yes, I agree.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'm inclined to say that I will from time to time believe some members are compulsive glue eaters.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well I'm inclined to say that I scroll past a lot of posts in the PRSI-landed Apple news threads at about the same rate I do at other posts in there. Which is too bad in a way because I like reading Apple news and enjoy some of the remarks, but it's hard work getting past the... glue eaters?... if that is what they are.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I dare say there’s some lotus-eaters skulking around too.

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

And tasmanian devils. Hard to ignore them, they snap at the button while I'm typing their names. And roadrunners. Can't find my roadrunner image, I must have offended one of them and it raided my drive.

tasmanian devil cartoon image.jpg

20. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

21. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I can’t answer because I can’t see your post. Just kidding. If people get nasty I just ignore them. Just like real life:cool:

22. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Eight. The thing is, I cannot even remember why did I ignore them in first place.

But I will leave the things as hey are...

23. Zxxv macrumors 68040

None, but I’d put the whole moderation team on ignore if it would stop then banning me over silly things that should be water off of a ducks back (some users are such snowflakes)

Thinking about it doesn’t criticising them get a ban. Oh well. See ya in a few months.

24. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I have zero users on my ignore list. The rules and mods here are perfectly sufficient most of the time to clear up obviously unacceptable posts/posters. If you can’t handle opinions you disagree with, a forum is not the place to be... but obviously personal attacks etc are not a matter of differing opinions. And it’s MR’s forums, so it’s their rules anyway.

Even if something should be water off a duck’s back, it’s not ok to go around pouring water on ducks... :)

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But, even that comment "some users are such snowflakes" will give rise to a response, possibly negative, not least because by expressing such a sentiment you choose to engage with (and condemn) a person rather than an argument.

It should be possible to debate and discuss differences of opinion online without seeking to condemn (or offend or insult) the person holding such views.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:17 AM ---
    Very well said.

I hadn't spotted your post when I replied to the post above, but it makes the point exceptionally well.