Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be switching to Verizon

• Total voters

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I'll NEVER move to a CDMA provider because there is no flexibility to move from different devices on the fly. I'll go to T-Moile before ever going to Verizon or Sprint.

unless you mean something else, i believe you can just dial *228 or something like that to activate any verizon phone "on the fly"... you can also do it over the computer...

Stuart21

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I think would should ban the words Verizon Iphone from MR until apple officially anounces they are building a phone. There are plenty of good phones on Verizon network so go get you one if you like Verizon so much

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Spending close to $500 a month with AT&T for 4 iPhones and was told by the 5th and final rep there is no way they will give me any discount.

So who will be moving to Verizon as soon as they can.

Discount for being a nice guy? Your name is Steve to? Because your a loyal customer and have 4 iphones on one account? I just like to hear peoples reasoning behind why they think they're being cheated out of something.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
I just moved from Verizon to AT&T, and I don't think I'll go back, p.s. the ETF now is $325, which is a lot and not worth it switch back.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Spending close to $500 a month with AT&T for 4 iPhones and was told by the 5th and final rep there is no way they will give me any discount.

I spend $270 on 4 iPhones and one BB. $500?

YanceyM

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
FL
Bad poll. No option for "Verizon doesn't work at my house".

Also no option for "AT&T is no saint, but I believe most of the iphone problems have been more due to sucky phone hardware than AT&T"

Right, AT&T is the best service in my area. I live out in the middle of nowhere and get full bars w/ 3G. Verizon,T-Mob,Sprint.....no one else can get service where I live. I had Sprint for a while and had to go outside just to get a call out. So AT&T has my business.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
unless you mean something else, i believe you can just dial *228 or something like that to activate any verizon phone "on the fly"... you can also do it over the computer...

ok then activate an iphone to work on Verizon....oops you cant because their networks are incompatible. Another CDMA fail.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
ok then activate an iphone to work on Verizon....oops you cant because their networks are incompatible. Another CDMA fail.

i didn't realize you were asking to activate an iphone on verizon.. i was just saying that you can switch between cdma devices "on the fly" just like you can switch from gsm devices on the fly...

you can't activate a cdma phone on a gsm network nor can you activate a gsm phone on a cdma network... the incompatibility goes both ways so i wouldn't say one fails.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

How on earth do you get a $500 bill for 4 iPhones? Even assuming you get unlimited everything, it's still

$70 for first line unlimited calling
$150 (50 x 3) for additional lines unlimited calling
$120 (30 x 4) for four lines unlimited data
$30 for shared unlimited messaging
--------
370 + tx

So unless you have 35% in taxes, I call BS.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You sugar coating the story !!!! Verizon rejected Apple so instead AT&T pulled their pants down for Apples agreement. It didn't do AT&T too good because Verizon is still larger and offers much better service.

I didn't sugar coat it. I mentioned in my post Apple went to Verizon in 2005/2006. Verizon rejected the iPhone because they wanted to put their own crap on the phone plus other factors.

Apple was testing a product. If the iPhone was a failure, Apple would not have expanded it to other countries. Look at their "test products" like the Newton and more recently, AppleTV. The iPhone would have just been a test/hobby product if the public didn't like it.

Once the iphone as deemed a success and international markets (most of which are GSM), the rest is history.

CDMA for voice will continue for a while but the rest of the world (besides Sprint with wimax) will use LTE.

Just remember how successful CDMA launch was in Iraq. Idiots Americans gave qualcomm money by using CDMA in IRAQ when the rest of the world uses GSM. It was an absolute failure with CDMA. One of the dumbest things the US has done in the IRAQ war.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
What type of plan/options do you have that's costing you $500 per?

Doesn't matter, people now a days feel as if they deserve to get something for nothing or at a lesser charge for reasons most of us can't comprehend.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007

*228 just updates the phone preferred roaming list (doesn't really do much).
To change phone on CDMA the change has to take place on the network, whereas with GSM you can simply swap the sim card out.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
*228 just updates the phone preferred roaming list (doesn't really do much).
To change phone on CDMA the change has to take place on the network, whereas with GSM you can simply swap the sim card out.

there are a few different options when dialing *228 one of them (i believe opt 3) allows you to activate a phone... takes about as much time as swapping a sim. and god forbid i don't have a paper clip to get my sim tray out of my iphone...

i'm not trying to argue what's "easier"... the original comment made it sound like you couldn't switch devices on the fly with verizon. i'm just saying you can. i used to do it all the time before i switched. and for the iphone4 i need a paperclip and a sim card adaptor to switch... not to mention this is my first at&t phone so i guess i need a backup phone too... but that would be the same for someone who switches to verizon (no backup phone to switch to) :D

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
You sugar coating the story !!!! Verizon rejected Apple so instead AT&T pulled their pants down for Apples agreement. It didn't do AT&T too good because Verizon is still larger and offers much better service for me and for where I live.

there, fixed it for you.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
No thanks.

My first carrier was Verizon. I was also on Sprint about 5 years ago. I do think I get better reception with CDMA. Especially in office buildings. My Sanyo SCP-5500 (Sprint) could hold a signal better than my Motorola V600 (Cingular). But since I have been on Cingular/AT&T the longest (since 2001), I just don't see myself going back to CDMA. I travel alot to foreign countries, especially in SE Asia. The CDMA phones also tend to have shorter battery life than the GSM counterparts. I can understand business users sticking with Verizon though. My stepdad was on Verizon for many, many years. Decided to get an iPhone in 2008. Liked the phone, hated the carrier. Culture shock about so many dropped calls he experienced. Went back to Verizon after seven months and got a BB Storm. That phone isn't all that great, but he's content.

I'm not crazy about micro-SIMs on the 4, but at least there is potential to travel abroad. I would rather stick to AT&T and a T-Mobile prepaid plan than go back to Verizon just for the versatility of popping SIM cards when I get bored with a phone.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Funny nobody mentions that on the Verizon CDMA network you can't do voice and data at the same time.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
It's obvious to me that any talks or chance that Verizon was going to get the iPhone any time soon has been destroyed to say the least. As soon as Verizon started bashing the iPhone 4's antenna problem, well, why would anyone think they're going to turn around and try to market it and sell it as a great phone? They can't! Verizon will not get the iPhone 4, ever.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009

How are you spending $500 a month on 4 iPhones? That's over $100 per line!

Dark K

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I foresee the android going to ruins, Verizon service going waaaay down with bunch of new customer.

Seriously:
Verizon, stay with DROID, it suits you since you people like red and like stuff that go beyond in specs.
AT&T, wait till next year's LTE, the company has the advantage, they had the phone for already 3 years, Verizon will just explode in a matter of time after its first launch and people will be veryyyy piss, I just know it.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
AT&T has been great for me. I will remain with them even if Verizon does get the iPhone. Ive never had billing or CS issues. They have always been pleasant to deal with on the phone and in their corp stores. In my area, their 3G network seems to be pretty strong. I have had a few dropped calls here and there, but I'm pretty sure this is common for all networks.

quotison

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
It's obvious to me that any talks or chance that Verizon was going to get the iPhone any time soon has been destroyed to say the least. As soon as Verizon started bashing the iPhone 4's antenna problem, well, why would anyone think they're going to turn around and try to market it and sell it as a great phone? They can't! Verizon will not get the iPhone 4, ever.

The Droid ad is an advertisement, it's not "bashing" the iPhone or otherwise signifying any sort of bad blood. As long as they don't carry the iPhone they're going to advertise the phones they actually do carry, and that means comparing it to competing phones in order to get people to buy their phones and not other phones.

If circumstances change and Verizon gets the iPhone, then they'll just start running different ads. There will be some blog posts laughing at Verizon's inconsistency and then Verizon will go on to sell lots of iPhones.

(that is, I'm not convinced that Verizon is going to get the iPhone soon at all, I just don't think it's because of the antenna issue)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.