How often do you upgrade your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Aug 19, 2016.

?

How often do you upgrade your iPhone?

1. Every year

85 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Every other year

54 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. When my current phone is about to take a dirt nap

24 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. When I'm impressed by the current version

38 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Are you more on the compulsive side or the pragmatic side?

2. Ffosse, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I've just bought my first iPhone - the SE. The next day I bought an Xperia XA. I buy 2 new phones a year, but plan on keeping the XA longer as I like it so much. Will still buy a new Android at least once a year.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Pragmatic. I'd still be using my iPhone 4 if iOS 7 hadn't crippled it.

My iPhone 5S is on its last legs too; heavy battery wear and a world of Internet issues with pages not loading. Will likely pick up a used 6S when the 7 is released, depending on the cost for Apple to repair my 5S or replace with a refurb.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I generally upgrade every year so I can maximize resale of my current phone.

Like every year I wait for reviews, see if there are and benefits for me (generally are) and then upgrade.

If I did feel a new iPhone offered nothing beneficial I wouldn't upgrade.

5. gurase macrumors regular

2 years on the S cycle, although I may try to go longer with my 6S plus.

6. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I upgrade every 2 years because 2 years’ worth of tech I’ve managed to live without thus far is usually reason enough.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

My history:
    3G -> 4 -> 4s -> 5s -> 6 -> ?

So twice I've upgraded a year apart and 3 times I waited at least 2 years. The third might become 3 years depending on what the iPhone 7 brings.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I upgrade yearly. I wasn't going to go from 4s->5, but my 4s broke 3 months into the iPhone 5 launch, so I said might as well. Apple wanted $200 for a new lockup button, so I said forget that. Not sure what I am going to do this year. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program and want a larger screen (currently have 6s), but the next iPhone needs to have something more than that. Waterproofing will probably do it for me.

9. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

The past 4 its been yearly, but I'm getting burnt out with phones.
    I went from 3gs - 4 -5 -5s -6 Plus - 6s Plus

I really think I'm going to sit out 7*

*unless something cool comes around :)

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I used to upgrade once every two years in line with my carrier contract which included a portion to the phone payment. Now that my carrier has removed that allocation from every phone payment and requires me to purchase the phone separately, I will upgrade only when my current phone bites the dirt.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I upgrade every 2 years.

This is one of those years.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I used to upgrade every year, but now I only upgrade when the current design impresses me. I haven't owned a single one of the 6 series, and would still be using my iPhone 5s if the iPhone SE didn't come out.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I usually upgrade every year, but last year I used Next to purchase my 6s Plus. If I want to upgrade to the 7, I need to pay half what I owe (around $330) or pay it off at around $600. The rumors thus far have not given much of a compelling reason to upgrade, although a Space Black iPhone would be tempting.

Next year's 'anniversary' iPhone? Most likely.

Or I could use Next on another available line creating yet another Next payment. Unlikely.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is the exact reason I upgrade each year. Well said.

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I typically went every year from 3G to 6S Plus (I skipped the 5 and 5S). But this time, I'm going to try and hold out and use the 6S Plus that I have for another year and get the anniversary phone (hopefully it will be the redesigned model).

17. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I generally upgrade every 3 years or so, whenever the performance of the new phone blows away the old one to a great degree, or whenever some killer new feature comes along. Here's the iPhones I've had, and what got me to upgrade:

Original (2007-2010): I bought a 4GB iPhone right after their discontinuation in September, because $299 for an iPhone was finally in my college student price range. This was a wonderful phone that served me well, and still has a home in my bag as an iPod.

3GS (2010-2013): I got a 32GB 3GS right after the 4 came out. Again, pricing was a major factor. I upgraded here because the original iPhone had finally stopped receiving software updates once iOS 4 came out.

5 (2013-2016): Once again, a close out 32GB iPhone 5 was purchased after the 5S had come about. This phone was purchased as the 3GS was starting to feel a bit slow, and had come to the end of iOS updates itself.

SE (2016-20??): I purchased an SE earlier this year to replace the 5. I honestly didn't have any real performance complaints about the 5 three years on, nor was it at the end of it's iOS updates. I purchased the SE because the resale value on the 5 was still decent, and the performance delta between the two was stellar. I have a well-paid job now, and thought that I ought to reward myself a bit. Plus, I had the 3-year itch ;)

The Original and the SE are the only two iPhones that I have purchased when they were the latest and greatest. I tend to buy when the RAM doubles, as those phones tend to last the longest with regards to updates. Most of my old iPhones are still serving me well; the original is still used as an iPod because I love the design of that phone, and the 3GS lives in the glove box of my car holding my entire library of music. The 5 was sold to fund the SE.

18. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

Went from 4 to 4s then the 6
    Still happy with my 6, my 2011 MBP, my 1987 Buick Grand National and my wife of 21 years.
    I guess that's why advertisers don't like us old folks so much.

19. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

I went from the iPhone 3GS (8 GB) -> 4s (16 GB) -> 5c (32 GB) -> 6s (64 GB). Basically every other year but if the iPhone 7 is waterproof I might be tempted to upgrade if I can sell my 6s for a decent price...

20. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

Every year. I am not drawn to anything android so my decision making is easy. Resale value of my phones is always decent, I buy outright at full cost, and the net difference is usually around $300 annually which I don't find unreasonable. Some upgrades impress me more than others but you'll have that.

21. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Usually once every two years but my carrier did a buy one get one half off on iPhones so I upgraded earlier than normal.

22. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

24. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

If I would've known better, I would've just kept my iPhone 5, but would've probably got a 32gb instead of the 16. I'm about to trade in my iPhone 6 for the SE. I've had it since October 2014 so that's about the longest I've ever kept a phone.

I try to keep my phones for about 1.5 years.