Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And an ironing board is not an every day item found in any supermarket.
It is in mine. Not to mention that amazon prime is capable of delivering the item (assuming it's what you want) within the same day.

Bottom line is, we each have very different shopping habits and preferences, our geological situations are also very different, which means that what works for you may well not be optimal for me, and vice versa. For me personally, I don't drive (as it's expensive to own a car in Singapore), so I find myself increasingly turning to delivery services such as Amazon to have bulky household items sent to my house or workplace to cut down on the time and effort spent on travelling.

I find it very funny that when I try to explain to you why I do certain things the way I do, it's a self-defence mechanism to rationalise using the Apple devices that I do (never mind that it's working very well for me, but I guess you will find some way to "convince" me that I have somehow been shopping wrong all these years), yet when you do the very same thing, it's perfectly natural and justified, and every other way is wrong.

*Shrugs.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
You can do all of that with Siri shortcuts. It’s coming with iOS 12 in a few weeks.

Bixby has a lot of features, some features that even the google assistant doesn’t have. However if it doesn’t work then what good are all those features? If it keeps telling you it can’t understand you and doesn’t do what you’ve asked then it’s no good at all.

Body to screen ratio is important though.
I haven't beta tested iOS 12 but if that's the case, it's a step in the right direction for Apple.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
In all the voice assistant arguments do we really think voice is the wave of the future on a cell phone? I do sort of understand it in the products intended for the home but my phone it seems kinda meh.

Reactions: rjohnstone

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
In all the voice assistant arguments do we really think voice is the wave of the future on a cell phone? I do sort of understand it in the products intended for the home but my phone it seems kinda meh.

Personally, I don't. It's kind of awkward to use in public and too visible from a technology standpoint in my eyes. I use it at home with my HomePod's, but at the same time - I have sensors for things like lights coming on, which can trigger other automation's. I don't think voice is the future.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Personally, I don't. It's kind of awkward to use in public and too visible from a technology standpoint in my eyes. I use it at home with my HomePod's, but at the same time - I have sensors for things like lights coming on, which can trigger other automation's. I don't think voice is the future.

The extent of my voice interaction is "OK Google navigate home/parents/work" I just don't find it natural to talk to my phone.

Reactions: rjohnstone

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The extent of my voice interaction is "OK Google navigate home/parents/work" I just don't find it natural to talk to my phone.

I agree. I only use voice assistants for HomeKit, Music, or the occasional "Hey Siri, take me home". It would be silly to constantly use your voice for tasks.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I
It is in mine. Not to mention that amazon prime is capable of delivering the item (assuming it's what you want) within the same day.

Bottom line is, we each have very different shopping habits and preferences, our geological situations are also very different, which means that what works for you may well not be optimal for me, and vice versa. For me personally, I don't drive (as it's expensive to own a car in Singapore), so I find myself increasingly turning to delivery services such as Amazon to have bulky household items sent to my house or workplace to cut down on the time and effort spent on travelling.

I find it very funny that when I try to explain to you why I do certain things the way I do, it's a self-defence mechanism to rationalise using the Apple devices that I do (never mind that it's working very well for me, but I guess you will find some way to "convince" me that I have somehow been shopping wrong all these years), yet when you do the very same thing, it's perfectly natural and justified, and every other way is wrong.

*Shrugs.

I am not trying to convince you of anything, and I cannot quite understand why you even replied to my post in the first instance since the circumstances are so out of how you live your life.
There seems to be the attitude with many when there is something Siri cannot do, why would I do that anyway.
I think an an assistant goes way beyond setting timers (which I can do manually in seconds anyway and I use both ways to set a timer) and setting calender reminders. Another poster stated that they didn't make random queries to an assistant. I gave an example of a random request that was applicable. I cannot understand why people cannot just see that as really helpful.
Another poster said Bixby can set a stream of commands with a simple Good Morning prompt. I am sure OK Google cannot do that, but I would like it if it did as I am sure I could find uses for it. I don't think "Why would I want to do that"? as a defensive knee jerk.

I did say that Amazon was not a goer as the item needed to be seen "in the flesh".

I won't have any reason to reply to this again. I will instead go and bash my head against a wall for lighter entertainment.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't know if Siri could or could not provide that information. But why wouldn't you TRY to use an assistant for my example? What would you do in similar circumstances that provided me with details of where to shop and then navigation in a matter of seconds?

Edit: added TRY
Siri can’t be it doesn’t mean it’s not any good. I have a google home mini should I want to ask a question Siri can’t answer. However for general day to day stuff I use my HomePods.
[doublepost=1535734008][/doublepost]
I don’t know why but I find the voice assistants more useful on a dedicated speaker or on my Apple Watch. I’ve never really used Siri or google assist at on my phone.
[doublepost=1535734139][/doublepost]
I agree. I only use voice assistants for HomeKit, Music, or the occasional "Hey Siri, take me home". It would be silly to constantly use your voice for tasks.
Aside for playing music or using them for audio based things, I tend to use them when my hands are occupied and can’t get to my phone and search for something.

The other day I was feeding my 3 month old and wanted to find out the side effects of a particular medicine so I asked the google assistant and it was able to tell me.
[doublepost=1535734429][/doublepost]
I

I am not trying to convince you of anything, and I cannot quite understand why you even replied to my post in the first instance since the circumstances are so out of how you live your life.
There seems to be the attitude with many when there is something Siri cannot do, why would I do that anyway.
I think an an assistant goes way beyond setting timers (which I can do manually in seconds anyway and I use both ways to set a timer) and setting calender reminders. Another poster stated that they didn't make random queries to an assistant. I gave an example of a random request that was applicable. I cannot understand why people cannot just see that as really helpful.
Another poster said Bixby can set a stream of commands with a simple Good Morning prompt. I am sure OK Google cannot do that, but I would like it if it did as I am sure I could find uses for it. I don't think "Why would I want to do that"? as a defensive knee jerk.

I did say that Amazon was not a goer as the item needed to be seen "in the flesh".

I won't have any reason to reply to this again. I will instead go and bash my head against a wall for lighter entertainment.
Even if amazon is a choice you can use the Alexa to order whatever you want. I do that all the time. I like using technology to make my life easier.

I just didn’t find that bixby worked when I tried it but what it is supposed to do is great and I think I posted that somewhere that in theory It can do things that none of the other assistants can do. Bixby juzt didn’t work for me. However I’m not against all assistants that aren’t Siri. I have 2 HomePods but I also have 2 echos and a google home mini.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Siri can’t be it doesn’t mean it’s not any good. I have a google home mini should I want to ask a question Siri can’t answer. However for general day to day stuff I use my HomePods.
[doublepost=1535734008][/doublepost]
I don’t know why but I find the voice assistants more useful on a dedicated speaker or on my Apple Watch. I’ve never really used Siri or google assist at on my phone.
[doublepost=1535734139][/doublepost]
Aside for playing music or using them for audio based things, I tend to use them when my hands are occupied and can’t get to my phone and search for something.

The other day I was feeding my 3 month old and wanted to find out the side effects of a particular medicine so I asked the google assistant and it was able to tell me.

Makes sense. I am certainly not saying voice assistants aren't useful to certain people in certain situations, I just don't see them becoming as prominent in the future as some people do.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I

Don't you know by now any feature Apple lacks they don't want or "why would I need that?" They only need it when Apple implements it and tells them they need it. Then all of a sudden they need it and it was half baked before on other platforms.

Examples: less bezels, oled screen, wireless charging. I remember when I was arguing wireless charging and they fired back how Apple would make it truly wireless (don't have to put phone on a pad) that's why they are taking so long to implement it and it's useless in the current form. They got wireless charging now and they bash other androids for not having it lol. They got small bezels for 1 year and now they bash phones with bezels. But with all the previous generation iPhones before the X they liked the bezel, they needed some place to hold the phone in landscape. Fast charging was useless, they just need the phone last all day since they charge over night. Now they love it. Dual speakers was useless, they only use headphones anyway. Now they say how much better iPhone speakers sound vs competition. OLED had washed out blacks, burn in, too saturated, not bright enough, now they love it.

Why do they need water resistant phone anyway. They are responsible to not have their phone around water. Now they have water resistant and bash other phones for not having it.

List goes on and on. Makes no sense arguing with them.

I remember I had this huge debate with a few posters here about how useful an rgb led notification light is. They argued it's useless and hope apple never adds it even if apple gives user an option to disable it they still didn't want apple to add it...selfish.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Don't you know by now any feature Apple lacks they don't want or "why would I need that?" They only need it when Apple implements it and tells them they need it. Then all of a sudden they need it and it was half baked before on other platforms.

Examples: less bezels, oled screen, wireless charging. I remember when I was arguing wireless charging and they fired back how Apple would make it truly wireless (don't have to put phone on a pad) that's why they are taking so long to implement it and it's useless in the current form. They got wireless charging now and they bash other androids for not having it lol. They got small bezels for 1 year and now they bash phones with bezels. But with all the previous generation iPhones before the X they liked the bezel, they needed some place to hold the phone in landscape. Fast charging was useless, they just need the phone last all day since they charge over night. Now they love it. Dual speakers was useless, they only use headphones anyway. Now they say how much better iPhone speakers sound vs competition. OLED had washed out blacks, burn in, too saturated, not bright enough, now they love it.

Why do they need water resistant phone anyway. They are responsible to not have their phone around water. Now they have water resistant and bash other phones for not having it.

List goes on and on. Makes no sense arguing with them.

I remember I had this huge debate with a few posters here about how useful an rgb led notification light is. They argued it's useless and hope apple never adds it even if apple gives user an option to disable it they still didn't want apple to add it...selfish.

I think it's more that a feature here or there doesn't make or break the platform for iOS users. I welcomed smaller bezels, OLED, wireless charging, waterproofing, etc. but none of those features were worth me switching to Android for. Ultimately, iOS users are content with the platform, and appreciate the offers when they are introduced. They aren't any features that are necessarily "need to have" in my eyes. I can't speak for all others, but this is the way I have always looked at it. Features just aren't all that critical and they aren't the reason we stay with iOS.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
That’s cool....on paper, but in real life....

5156fd0660e47279b1625e9f69787627.png

Kinda makes you think if screen to body ratio is a pointless metric, since the s9 has a higher one but just doesn’t look like it.

Not bixby again.
You're right, that's cool...in a picture on the web, but in real life the galaxy has less bezels. In pictures the X seems to have less. I agree 100%.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I think it's more that a feature here or there doesn't make or break the platform for iOS users. I welcomed smaller bezels, OLED, wireless charging, waterproofing, etc. but none of those features were worth me switching to Android for. Ultimately, iOS users are content with the platform, and appreciate the offers when they are introduced. They aren't any features that are necessarily "need to have" in my eyes. I can't speak for all others, but this is the way I have always looked at it. Features just aren't all that critical and they aren't the reason we stay with iOS.
That's not the issue. It's fine not wanting to switch because of some small useful features. However, when Apple lovers say X feature is not useful but as soon as they get X feature it's useful. Take the damn blinders off. Nothing wrong admitting if a feature is useful or not even if it's not on their precious Apple devices.

Or the famous saying "I would never use that". You would never use it because you don't have it to even use. I saw an earlier post you said Siri works just fine with what you want to do. Well if you're not exposed to other features other assistance can do if course you're not going to feel the need or want for it. However, once you have it you don't want to go back.

The best example I can give is, I work at a school in IT and all the teachers had MacBooks. The district transitioned to all windows so they got ThinkPads which they hated and complained that they wanted back their MacBooks. I still had the macs as spares but district rules was to keep them only as spares. When a ThinkPad broke and I gave a MacBook as spare those some teachers that hated the ThinkPads now hate the MacBooks because they don't have touch screens. They always say "I didn't realize how much I used the touch screen until I didn't have it".
[doublepost=1535736773][/doublepost]
The bezels are minimal on the infinity display. You don’t notice them because the screen is immersive and you can stretch to fill the screen.
No I agree. FFR kept going on how I'm reality screen to body ratio doesn't matter and the X is his opinion seem to have more screen than bezels on the 1 pic he keeps posting. So I was agreeing that yes in that 1 pic it may look that way. But really I'm reality the X has more bezels lol.

I can't understand how he is given a fact that the galaxies has less bezels based on screen to body ratio and he is debating it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That's not the issue. It's fine not wanting to switch because of some small useful features. However, when Apple lovers say X feature is not useful but as soon as they get X feature it's useful. Take the damn blinders off. Nothing wrong admitting if a feature is useful or not even if it's not on their precious Apple devices.

Or the famous saying "I would never use that". You would never use it because you don't have it to even use. I saw an earlier post you said Siri works just fine with what you want to do. Well if you're not exposed to other features other assistance can do if course you're not going to feel the need or want for it. However, once you have it you don't want to go back.

The best example I can give is, I work at a school in IT and all the teachers had MacBooks. The district transitioned to all windows so they got ThinkPads which they hated and complained that they wanted back their MacBooks. I still had the macs as spares but district rules was to keep them only as spares. When a ThinkPad broke and I gave a MacBook as spare those some teachers that hated the ThinkPads now hate the MacBooks because they don't have touch screens. They always say "I didn't realize how much I used the touch screen until I didn't have it".
No I agree. FFR kept going on how I'm reality screen to body ratio doesn't matter and the X is his opinion seem to have more screen than bezels on the 1 pic he keeps posting. So I was agreeing that yes in that 1 pic it may look that way. But really I'm reality the X has more bezels lol.

I can't understand how he is given a fact that the galaxies has less bezels based on screen to body ratio and he is debating it.

Understandable. I think the discussion always becomes a back and forth because (not saying right or wrong) people who prefer Android come onto the site regularly to say a certain feature or spec makes the iPhone inferior somehow, but it ultimately makes no difference to an iOS user. It definitely happens the other way around also, so iOS users are also guilty of that as well (I include myself, but I am actively trying to adjust my approach). I think it's just a defensive mindset coming out, when the real meaning behind it is more toward what I described, which is that iOS users are pretty happy and content as is. It doesn't make a feature any less useful, just not that important in the grand scheme of things. I hope I described that appropriately as I am trying to convey it in a way that isn't negative to yourself or others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

The X has more bezel and has a lower screen to body ratio but I think they are both nice looking phones.

Reactions: Dave.UK

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Understandable. I think the discussion always becomes a back and forth because (not saying right or wrong) people who prefer Android come onto the site regularly to say a certain feature or spec makes the iPhone inferior somehow, but it ultimately makes no difference to an iOS user. It definitely happens the other way around also, so iOS users are also guilty of that as well (I include myself, but I am actively trying to adjust my approach). I think it's just a defensive mindset coming out, when the real meaning behind it is more toward what I described, which is that iOS users are pretty happy and content as is. It doesn't make a feature any less useful, just not that important in the grand scheme of things. I hope I described that appropriately as I am trying to convey it in a way that isn't negative to yourself or others.
Perfect explanation and I agree.
[doublepost=1535739882][/doublepost]
The X has more bezel and has a lower screen to body ratio but I think they are both nice looking phones.
Agreed. Personally I couldn't deal with a notch, but there is an app that uses software to black out the "ears" for the X is I remember correctly?

I've always had issues with symmetry in day to day life (ocd levels). Not a fan of the Android phones with uneven bezels at top and bottom too. That's why I feel like I'm stuck with upgrading to pixel 3 because almost every other phone have a notch. Not a fan of the Samsung curved screen either.

Reactions: DNichter

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Makes sense. I am certainly not saying voice assistants aren't useful to certain people in certain situations, I just don't see them becoming as prominent in the future as some people do.

What do drivers in the freight industry do when they have their hands on the wheel behind a semi-trailer and need to reply to txt, find directions on maps, make a call by name in address book, etc.? Voice assistant is the first to come to mind but you know the freight industry better.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
What do drivers in the freight industry do when they have their hands on the wheel behind a semi-rig and need to reply to txt, find directions on maps, make a call by name in address book, etc.? Voice assistant is the first to come to mind but you know the freight industry better.

Unfortunately, many still answer the phone or do all that you mention while driving. We are a broker though so that liability luckily falls onto the contracted carrier, and not my company. We have our own mobile app though to help a bit with this sort of thing. It provides real time directions, while also transmitting their location back to our system every 15 minutes, resulting in less check calls that the driver needs to take or make. Driver-less trucks is something we are preparing for in the industry, but with the amount of regulation in the trucking industry, we are at least a good 10 years out from that becoming reality. Voice assistants would be a solid way to help with all of this though, I agree.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Nobody is expecting you to switch platforms. But surely it isn't difficult to praise features not available on iOS/iPhone and admit you would like to see it on your chosen platform, rather "why would I do/want that"?
Seems the latest feature Apple will be copying, sorry implementing is the ability for Siri to run a string of commands with a simple "Good morning" type phrase. Thank Bixby for that :)
[doublepost=1535750832][/doublepost]
You're right, that's cool...in a picture on the web, but in real life the galaxy has less bezels. In pictures the X seems to have less. I agree 100%.
I noticed the picture used was clever in not showing the impact of the notch :)
[doublepost=1535751550][/doublepost]
That particular poster just seems intent on arguing with people. Seems to have been inactive since the intervention of the moderator yesterday, given that there has been plenty of stuff he would normally react to :) Or maybe I have just missed posts.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Nobody is expecting you to switch platforms. But surely it isn't difficult to praise features not available on iOS/iPhone and admit you would like to see it on your chosen platform, rather "why would I do/want that"?
Seems the latest feature Apple will be copying, sorry implementing is the ability for Siri to run a string of commands with a simple "Good morning" type phrase. Thank Bixby for that :)
[doublepost=1535750832][/doublepost]
I noticed the picture used was clever in not showing the impact of the notch :)
[doublepost=1535751550][/doublepost]
That particular poster just seems intent on arguing with people. Seems to have been inactive since the intervention of the moderator yesterday, given that there has been plenty of stuff he would normally react to :) Or maybe I have just missed posts.

I agree with that. If you saw my next post, to a similar response to yours, I explain more why people react that way. It’s just a defensive mindset because iOS users are regularly told their products are inferior due to not having a certain feature or speck, when in the end it’s just not all that critical whether we have it or not. Your example of Siri Shortcuts is a perfect example. I’ll be happy when it comes, it’s a nice to have feature, but it’s not necessary and doesn’t make or break the platform. Your last response is kind of a bummer and proves my original thought as to why people get defensive, because you need to throw in that we are somehow copying Bixby. I know that this happens on both sides of the fence, I’m guilty of it, and I am working to change my approach to these discussions.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I agree with that. If you saw my next post, to a similar response to yours, I explain more why people react that way. It’s just a defensive mindset because iOS users are regularly told their products are inferior due to not having a certain feature or speck, when in the end it’s just not all that critical whether we have it or not. Your example of Siri Shortcuts is a perfect example. I’ll be happy when it comes, it’s a nice to have feature, but it’s not necessary and doesn’t make or break the platform. Your last response is kind of a bummer and proves my original thought as to why people get defensive, because you need to throw in that we are somehow copying Bixby. I know that this happens on both sides of the fence, I’m guilty of it, and I am working to change my approach to these discussions.
Do you think Siri Shortcuts would be coming without Bixby?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I don’t know anything about Bixby and it seemed like a logical next step considering some of Apple’s work when it comes to scenes and automation in HomeKit. So for me, yes I think it would come regardless of Bixby.

Just like bezelless, big screen, waterproofing, widget, pulldown notification shade, folder etc are all also a logical progression that apple has planned 20 years ago :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.