Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
A bowling ball stored on a shelf is a potential hazard. If you are worried about it don't put your ball on the shelf and return your phone. Done and done. A mass returning would be more powerful than anything the FCC can do anyway.

I did return mine. The hazard is still there even though I returned mine. Imagine the horror if someone you loved had a heart attack and while laying on the floor they look up and see someone who was too stupid to return their Iphone 4 cursing the thing because it has no service and they can't dial 911.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
It is a potential hazard. Is someone just supposed to die because an iPhone 4 owner gets excited in an emergency, holds the phone wrong, and can't call 911?

Just return your phone, there are plenty of people that are content with their iphone as well as the service. I would bet most are happy, the forums just tend to have the vocal minority chiming in.

The only thing deceptive here is the way you are asking people to go about reporting Apple. If you don't like your phone or how it performs return it!

There is no risk here, I dialed 911 just yesterday to report a fire while I was driving home. I reported it, was transferred to the fire department, gave them the info and guess what.. I never lost my signal or connection.

I have made plenty of calls with no disturbances or disconnection, I am sure the majority of iPhone users are in the same boat. Doing what you are asking people to do (lie to the FCC) or in the worst case that bonehead law firm that wants to sue them is just an example of how selfish and idiotic our society has become lately.

Kim Sux

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
It is easy to file an on-line complaint with the FCC, just go to this website:

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Use the radio buttone to select "Wireless Telephone", on the next page select "Problems completing a 911 call from your wireless phone", on the next page click on "Online Form" at the top left of the yellow box. This will open the complaint form so follow on from there. When you are done, tell everyone you know who is having this problem to file a complaint. Post it in every thread about the iPhone 4 reception issues.

It is obvious that you have a problem completing a 911 call if you pick up your phone and it loses signal, so there is truth stretching going on.

edit: Some think that it is wrong to say that it really is a problem with 911 if you have not attempted it, I disagree in that you can't even attempt it if you hold the phone wrong. If you feel that way then pick the "Deceptive or unlawful advertising" button instead.

That's great, let's just flood the overtaxed FCC with a bunch of bogus complaints. I'd prefer to not see my tax dollars wasted addressing people's iPhone concerns. Buy a case people and stop crying!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
That's great, let's just flood the overtaxed FCC with a bunch of bogus complaints. I'd prefer to not see my tax dollars wasted addressing people's iPhone concerns. Buy a case people and stop crying!

The correct term for what the OP is asking people to do is called "Fraud".

Streamer

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
Rather than return the phone he is clearly hoping that this adds to the Class Action suit and in 5 years time he will get his $3 iTunes gift card.

Me, I'm deeply concerned that my iPhone 4 sitting in my pocket with an exposed metal antenna may fry my wedding tackle. Alas, I don't see an option on the FCC site about reducing my sperm count so must be good :D

Must remember to file a complaint next time I'm in the middle of nowhere and can't call my wife, yet alone 911

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
This seems like a seruious issue and 911 is a vital number to be able to reach.

I think its a good idea to contact the FCC, so that Apple will be more motivated to fix this problem and not leave customers with a flawed phone.

When compnaies like Apple start to get big, they invariably hurt the consumer with issues like this. Apple used to have somehting called quality control. Now, its all about the bottom line and making money without efforts in quality.

Lets hope Apple's recent deluge of job offerings posted for RF and Antenna engineers fixes this for iPhone 5. Although I wouldnt hold my breath for better recption in the iPhone 4, just yet.

MNkid

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
MN
I did return mine. The hazard is still there even though I returned mine. Imagine the horror if someone you loved had a heart attack and while laying on the floor they look up and see someone who was too stupid to return their Iphone 4 cursing the thing because it has no service and they can't dial 911.

Good point. Wait, what if the same person mentioned above did return thier phone and were using the bestest newest phone out there but forgot to charge it? There is rick in everything, do your best to minimize what you are exposed too and don't depend on the Nanny State to solve all your problems.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Again, you have no basis for a complaint since YOU CAN RETURN THE PHONE FOR A REFUND. This is what people do when they are unsatified with a purchase.

The truth is you don't want to return the phone--do you?

This is true but not entirely. You are charged a 10% restocking fee.

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Good point. Wait, what if the same person mentioned above did return thier phone and were using the bestest newest phone out there but forgot to charge it? There is rick in everything, do your best to minimize what you are exposed too and don't depend on the Nanny State to solve all your problems.

Are you advocating the absolution of all consumer protections, or just the ones that in your wisdom you happen to agree with? Nanny state my foot, you'll take the nanny state protections when it suits you.

MNkid

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
MN
Are you advocating the absolution of all consumer protections, or just the ones that in your wisdom you happen to agree with? Nanny state my foot, you'll take the nanny state protections when it suits you.

Most of them yes. Watch my food and medications. Spend less time policing my expensive electronic gadgets. A little more personal responsibility in the country would turn it around real quick.

8mpg

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

now what the hell did people ever do before cell phones. Next thing you are going to blame ATT for bad coverage... the cell tower was to far away... your battery died... you dropped your phone and it shattered and its Apple's fault.

Grow up...and hold it different

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Most of them yes. Watch my food and medications. Spend less time policing my expensive electronic gadgets. A little more personal responsibility in the country would turn it around real quick.

That is just foolish. So it is each individual's responsibility to buy an RF meter and make sure that their expensive gadget is not pumping out 15 watts next to their head? If it throwing RF energy like a microwave oven then there is no one to turn to because it is your responsibility so the best thing is to throw it away if you didn't catch it within the first 2 weeks, right?

Of course not, you'll take the nanny state FCC making sure the expensive gadgets are safe, the antenna is away from the head, and so on, but you throw up Individual rights and responsibilities if someone complains about your precious iPhone 4.

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
now what the hell did people ever do before cell phones. Next thing you are going to blame ATT for bad coverage... the cell tower was to far away... your battery died... you dropped your phone and it shattered and its Apple's fault.

Grow up...and hold it different

Look, I bought an iPhone 4 with MY OWN MONEY, I returned it because I need a phone that works as advertised.

I'll ridicule it or defecate on it in public all that I want to.

8mpg

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Look, I bought an iPhone 4 with MY OWN MONEY, I returned it because I need a phone that works as advertised.

I'll ridicule it or defecate on it in public all that I want to.

sig check

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009

Great point, in fact isn't there a chance under certain circumstances that ANY phone could, under the right conditions cause cancer due to the radiation they give off?

Lets launch a mass complaint against all mobile phone manufacturers and have them all forcibly shut down to avoid the slightest possibility that everyone might die of cancer.

Oh wait a minute, then your hypothetical person needing a 911 call might have to wait for someone to find the nearest fixed line phone before calling the ambulance.

But yeah good point anyway!

MNkid

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
MN
That is just foolish. So it is each individual's responsibility to buy an RF meter and make sure that their expensive gadget is not pumping out 15 watts next to their head? If it throwing RF energy like a microwave oven then there is no one to turn to because it is your responsibility so the best thing is to throw it away if you didn't catch it within the first 2 weeks, right?

Of course not, you'll take the nanny state FCC making sure the expensive gadgets are safe, the antenna is away from the head, and so on, but you throw up Individual rights and responsibilities if someone complains about your precious iPhone 4.

My precious iPhone? Mine is working just fine and I am happy with it. You on the other hand sound like a lover scorned. My iPhone wasn't perfect, it rejected me and now I am going to tell my big brother on them and bring them pain. You returned it. Move on with your life and if you have faith in apple once they fix it buy a phone then. If not move your money somewhere else. It's pretty simple really. Just remember its apple not you ;)

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Oh I forgot, Don't forget in the comments section to ask the FCC to decertify the iPhone 4.
edit: This will do two things if they decertify it. It will force Apple to stop selling them and force AT&T to turn the service off to the phones in the wild.

Is there an option to snitch in one go to multiple institutions (HL, FBI etc.) as well and if yes, have you done it? And don't forget to contact the local authorities to turn off water supply at their HQ at Cupertino. Might help as well.

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Great point, in fact isn't there a chance under certain circumstances that ANY phone could, under the right conditions cause cancer due to the radiation they give off?

Lets launch a mass complaint against all mobile phone manufacturers and have them all forcibly shut down to avoid the slightest possibility that everyone might die of cancer.

Oh wait a minute, then your hypothetical person needing a 911 call might have to wait for someone to find the nearest fixed line phone before calling the ambulance.

But yeah good point anyway!

If you have a different phone than the iPhone 4 and it also goes from showing full signal to no signal when you pick it up then I would recommend filing a complaint against that one as well.

The problem is that there is too many people from too many sources saying this about the iPhone 4 that have never complained about any other phone before.

If you are happy with your iPhone 4, PLEASE DO NOT file a complaint, all others go to: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

8mpg

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Is there an option to snitch in one go to multiple institutions (HL, FBI etc.) as well and if yes, have you done it? And don't forget to contact the local authorities to turn off water supply at their HQ at Cupertino. Might help as well.

He sounds very butt hurt with a vendetta. He is trying to lead an army of one and will never succeed.

There is no way the FCC will ever tell ATT to stop service to Iphones. Hell, I bet half the FCC has Iphones. The man wants Steve Jobs to kiss his little hands and say sorry...not gonna happen.

kresh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
He sounds very butt hurt with a vendetta. He is trying to lead an army of one and will never succeed.

There is no way the FCC will ever tell ATT to stop service to Iphones. Hell, I bet half the FCC has Iphones. The man wants Steve Jobs to kiss his little hands and say sorry...not gonna happen.

How much does Astroturfing for the iPhone 4 pay anyway? Let's see, join this month, rapid defense of the indefensible iPhone 4, yep classic Astroturfing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.