How to increase vRAM for HD3000 graphics

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vista980622, Aug 19, 2014.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

So is this actually changing the vRAM? or just updating the text to look like its changed?

2. macnewbie2015 macrumors newbie

how did you use this override in terminal? I'm going through the same issue but I can't get this to work. what am I doing wrong?

3. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

you don't need to use terminal. A decent text editor will work

4. macnewbie2015 macrumors newbie

What's a good one to use to accomplish this task?

5. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

testing the gpu benchmarks, it does in fact look like it gives a boost to the gpu. You have to follow the additional steps listed following the OP's initial instructions.

6. graywolf212 macrumors newbie

Let me get this straight... I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. By entering some terminal commands I can double that? How does this work? I don't understand how you can change your videoram with a command. Also, if I change to 1gb, would it continue to be 1gb if I booted over to windows for gaming (bootcamp)? Is this overclocking, or just magic? Thanks

Keep in mind I want to do this for gaming, where I will be using all of that 1gb.

7. Pockett macrumors member

Pockett

Thank you very much, I noticed that I had considerably higher FPS during gaming, and fewer FPS drops as well. But just one question, how would I revert back to the 384MB of vRAM that I originally had?

8. piponero macrumors newbie

Hola GusMac hoy llegue a este foro siguiendo la posibilidad de subir a 1024 la vram de mi mac, he intentado varios metodos pero no me ha resultado. Tengo una MacBook Pro Early 2011 con 16 de ram con ssd samsung evo 500 y necesito mejorar video para unos trabajos de diseño (soy arquitecto) me podrías guiar de lo pasos que debo realizar???

Gracias de antemano

9. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Well graywolf212, this is not overclocking but it is magic. Black Magic! :oops:

Pockett's question is the big one! Before you use this command you have to know. How do I revert back to the original RAM allocation scheme? o_O

It is also important to use restraint with this command. There have been cases where unfortunate souls have assigned ludicrous amounts of memory to the display adapter. That choice causes a Mac to go into a coma. :eek:

10. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

you run the kext recovery utility as discussed (Also any OS update will revert it back) running the terminal commands listed by the OP alone does not complete the increase in vram. There's a couple more small steps to complete it listed in the thread. I definitely would not recommend raising the vram any more that what's described, based on the amount of memory you have. You can test the before and after to see the difference. Definitely not going to turn your old mini into a sick gaming machine but it does give it a boost.

11. MFMCPDX macrumors newbie

MFMCPDX

Here I modified the kext for MBP early 2011, just copy the files inside the zip file to your desktop and run kextbeast and restart, you'll have 1024 mb VRAM. Doesnt matter what it was before, make backups of your originals. You're Welcome.

Attached Files:

12. piponero macrumors newbie

that hurts has not worked

13. fabioroberto macrumors regular

It's possible to do at 1st generation HD graphics (i7-620m)? if yes, what method? Thx

14. goodiesguy macrumors newbie

goodiesguy

How would I go with increasing from 256MB to 512MB on a GeForce 940M on a Macbook6,1(White Uni-body), similar process to go through?

15. cristianvaldez macrumors member

Can you elaborate a little bit more on that? where is that "AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*" ? please give me a step by step to do that... thanks!

16. echoestheone macrumors newbie

echoestheone

Ty man! It worked. Do you know if there's a way to increase to 2gb vRam?

Attached Files:

17. hermon macrumors newbie

hermon

where is this " AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C* " ???...would've been mush easier if it was written clearly that everyone understands.

18. Kinematron macrumors newbie

Kinematron

I also run El Capitan, do I have to disable this before the terminal inputs? And then how do I enable it again? or there is no problem if I leave it disabled?

19. ArielEnam macrumors newbie

ArielEnam

I need to do this, but I don't get yet how to. Can someone puts some EASY to read steps please? I will highly appreciate.

20. MFMCPDX macrumors newbie

MFMCPDX

You have to have SIP disabled, Google for instructions on disabling SIP in OSX

21. ArielEnam macrumors newbie

ArielEnam

That works with macbook pro late 2011 too?

22. MFMCPDX macrumors newbie

MFMCPDX

I dunno I only have a MBP early 2011 i5 2.3Ghz 8GB RAM, it worked for me
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2016 ---

Have you disabled SIP? (System Integrity Protection)

23. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

I want to thank the original poster for the "hack".
    Another success on Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15", from 512MB > 1024MB.

Cheers!

24. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Every time that I try the terminal hack, I can not get it to work. I can get it to work if I download the pre-modded kext files. I would like to get it to work, so that I can mod the newest versions of it.

25. grcar Suspended

grcar

Guys, guys, VRAM only holds the frame buffer. At one time VRAM was really a special kind of memory chip, but now it is just like the DRAM and is often in the main memory chips. Provided the space called VRAM is big enough to hold all the pixels at max color depth (millions of colors) there is no benefit to reserving extra space, and there is a downside to taking that space away from the rest of the system.