How to prove to my parents they're getting ripped off.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dixie8123, May 21, 2012.

1. dixie8123 macrumors member

WARNING: This may seem like a rant, but it's not.

Well, recently my parents decided to purchase AT&T Internet, of course I wasnt too happy, considering I hate AT&T. Before, we had 12MBPS Comcast Internet, now we "upgraded" to "save money" to a 1.5MBPS ATT DSL. This is the fastet connection they have, which is considered "Blazing fast, better than anything else" according to them. We pay about $100/month to AT&T for the Internet and phone. Personally, I think this is a little too much, considering if I got the same thing though comcast I would be saving money.

Now, I need your help to convince them they're getting ripped off.

Thanks,
    Dixie

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

1.5MB/s isn't *that* bad but 1.5Mb/s is.

But I think you're right. I'm not sure why people bother using AT&T home internet. Your reasoning is sound, so there's not much else you can say besides pointing out the obvious.

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have Comcast and had att internet. Terrible. Comcast wins 100%. The price to performance is unbeatable in this comparison.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't know if Verizon FiOS is available in your area but I just got 35MBps up/down, unlimited phone, and a bunch of HD cable for $114 a month through them.

5. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

Only problem is they think they areSAVING money. Idk why

----------

Yeah, I already checked. It's either comcast or AT&T. Sadly, thats all. If only FIOS was here. Also, do you know how UVERSE is, thats not even offered here yet so

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

How much were they paying for Comcast internet. Saving money may not be as simple as cost per Mbps. They may actually want to lower the absolute total they pay per month regardless of rate.

What you may want to do is convince them to go voip. Pay more for a higher speed internet connection to accomodate voice over IP but less for phone service. I pay $57/month for 40Mbps DSL + voip service.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think Uverse is similar in speed to FiOS--needs upgraded switch near your house--not offered where I live either but is offered a few streets over--just depends on where the switch is I guess. I doubt it is better than cable though--I'm very happy with my Bright House Internet and would not switch to ATT unless Bright House really pissed me off. Personally, I agree with you that moving from cable to ATT DSL is a big downgrade and not worth the money.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For the OP, sorry no real advice to give your parents other than to check out competitive pricing. I thought they passed a law years ago allowing subscribers to pick any internet provider regardless of where they live? It was not that way in Minnesota last year and it is not this way in the Houston Area, although I CAN pick any electric provider I want. This is what they need to do with cable to get real competition.

Yes you can pick DSL vs Cable, but for cable I have one choice, Sudden Link. Right now I pay about $200 per month for internet, premium channels (HBO/Showtime), DVR, and security monitoring. I think it's too high and am exploring alternatives.

I looked at Dish Network a year ago and after all the special intro rates expire, you are about the same as Cable. Is that still true? I'm frustrated...

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I believe where the ripoff is, is the AT&T land line telephone. I think AT&T internet alone should be cheaper.

I used to have 1.5mbps DSL from AT&T, and it was under $20. Where they got me was the landline.

I'm not sure if Comcast offers a "double play" with internet and phone (on their website it shows TV+phone or TV+internet).

If your parents have Comcast cable, tell them to get the triple play, they won't regret it.

Comcast internet is definitely a lot better than AT&T.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You're using your parent's Internet, so you need to convince them that they need the speed advantage offered by cable. If not, then you have to either deal with the slower speeds until you can have your own or chip in the difference between the two. Your parents want to save money and DSL will do that.

Dale

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

WOW that is expensive, and I was always under the impression that things like this were cheaper in the US.

I pay €59 per month for Cable TV (82 channels including HBO),plus cable internet.
    [​IMG]

12. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going more at the aspect that they're getting ripped off, not that it is too slow.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what was the total they were paying for phone and internet before the switch?

what would an internet & phone bundle from comcast cost?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are they?

They may have opted for the cheaper alternative as they decided that a faster internet connection is not a priority for them (while it may be for you).

If its not cheaper, do the leg work yourself and present to them the alternatives, giving both the pros and cons to each choice in a mature manner.

Finally since you're unhappy with their selection, why not offer to help pay for the internet cost. The bottom line is, its their money and they have decided that ATT is a good choice.

15. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Comcast will give you TV/Internet or TV/phone, you can't get phone/Internet. The current price is around $70 per month for one year. More then.

We have the Triple Play package. The price breakdown goes like this:

Phone: $44
    Internet: $53
    TV: $103

This is full price with no applicable discounts.

Dale

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It should be relatively simple to do the cost/benefit calculations....

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

How can you have different electric providers? Or do you mean marketers? There's a situation in the Atlanta area where you can choose your gas "provider". But really, you are just choosing a company to bill you while Atlanta Gas/Light is the actual provider for everyone. And part of the bill is a seemingly randomly generated "pass through charge" which can vary wildly from one house to the next, even with the same size house. And that charge is made whether you use gas or not. And when there's an issue, I've heard that many people can't get an answer from either, because each one says it's the other's problem. That doesn't sound like an awesome situation, and why I will avoid gas service in the Atlanta area.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In Houston, there is a company (can't remember who, an electric company) has responsibility for the poles and wires in the neighborhood, however my company Green Mountain, feeds it's electric into the grid and I pay them for my electrical usage. I'm sure the company that is responsible for the neighborhood infrastructure gets their cut for maintaining it.

This is the way it would have to work for internet with freedom to choose. I doubt multiple internet providers would run duplicate wires through each neighborhood.

19. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah I'm on a deal like this. The local provider for my area is Dayton Power & Light, and they're who sends my monthly bill. The actual electric is "purchased" from FirstEnergy (who owns a nuclear reactor near Toledo). I signed on with them for a guaranteed per-kilowatt-hour rate for two years, which as of now is cheaper than the rate I'd be paying DP&L. I think it's all paperwork though, no actual power transfers (at least here).

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In Texas, Oncor provides the electrical infrastructure (the transmission lines, etc.) while the utilities (TXU, Reliant, etc.) provide the actual electrical power. You're free to choose your utility here.

OP, how is it any of your business where your parents get their internet service? They're the ones that write the check for it each month, no? Wouldn't you agree that they're in a better position than you are to know exactly how much it costs them?

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obviously your son is too young for you to have learned that kids know everything.

22. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Let your parents make their own mistakes. That it the only way they will ever learn.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I could have sworn that some Federal law was pass years ago that was supposed to open the internet to this type of competition. Guess I was wrong...

BTW, this is just one of the multitude of reasons why we want a Federal/State government, that is if we have elected people who actually want to solve problems even if it means they must compromise...

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would love this. Right now where we live our only option for broadband is U-Verse, and I think competition from either Verizon Fios or a cable company would force them to step up their game.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Go get a job, pay for your own internet and then show them how much faster yours is for less money.