Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ibaorus

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
I checked mine using the SSH method and I am happy that I have MLC NAND on my iPhone.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Theory - B

It's all about the cash flow for Tim Cook, pleasing the customers and giving them what they want. In the backend, figure ways to reduce the cost for higher profits.

This is what happens when the CEO is a bean counter.

Steve Jobs was a visionary; Cook is an accountant.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have both 6 and 6 Plus units with both having 128GB of RAM and as long as they do no exhibit any problems, I do not care which RAM they have on board.

The important thing is the device works and the user enjoy it without going crazy in worrying about stuff like this. But then some got to worry.

Enjoy!

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I have both 6 and 6 Plus units with both having 128GB of RAM and as long as they do no exhibit any problems, I do not care which RAM they have on board.

The important thing is the device works and the user enjoy it without going crazy in worrying about stuff like this. But then some got to worry.

Enjoy!

We're not talking about RAM here and you do not have 128 of RAM

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just got my new 6 Plus 64 GB today and I'm happy to say that I got MLC. Last one I had was TLC, but made an exchange due to cosmetic defect. And the phone is Week 47 if that matters.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Is there a free version? All I see is "plus" and, while it only a buck, not terribly keen on paying for something I plan to use once.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is interesting! It basically says that TLC is what they put in cheap sh** products, and SLC is the best. MLC has a much longer life cycle than TLC. So, even if your TLC iPhone is performing ok, it still has inferior hardware compared to iPhones with MLC.

http://centon.com/flash-products/chiptype

----------

Oh, and just what we need....TLC flash uses more RAM apparently! So my £729 'premium' phone has slower, less durable and more-memory hogging flash in it. Gee thanks Apple.

It goes without saying that the Note 4 uses MLC...#

http://www.androidorigin.com/apple-iphone-6-benchmarks-tlc-nand-mlc-flash/

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Maybe I should start another thread, but have any of you who have TLC devices contacted Apple?

I think I'm going to. I've had a few too many crashes. Phone. App. Safari. Etc. I love my phone. When it's not crashing.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Got my 2nd IP6 tonight and it's a TLC, had my first crash.

My launch day IP6 is a MLC

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    297.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    388.4 KB · Views: 170

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've got an iPhone 6 64 GB, manufacture week 45/2014, MLC nand.

No issues at all.

Buringcoals

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
iPhone 6 + 64gb

Write = 263 MB/s
Read = 754 MB/s

I am glad I have TLC, because I don't care what you say, faster is ALWAYS better period. Now if they are having issues due to crashing that is entirely different, but no MLC is NOT better because its slow.

I have never crashed, or had any issues with safari or games, apps crashing and I don't even monitor what open apps I have. I also do not have any lagg on my phone using Spotlight or other GUI issues people have reported.

I heavily use my phone. I would have been disappointed if my write speed was under 100 MB/s.

A lot of people in this thread making baseless claims, like TLC uses more memory, etc. And it's funny people wishing they had MLC and slower memory.

Thanks to the OP for the link to the app and the idea behind testing different memory.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Maybe I should start another thread, but have any of you who have TLC devices contacted Apple?

I think I'm going to. I've had a few too many crashes. Phone. App. Safari. Etc. I love my phone. When it's not crashing.

Not yet. But if they don't fix this pretty soon via firmware, I'm going to have to. The crashes, bootloops, and the really spectacular BSOD kernel panic that took ten minutes to resolve have me wistful about my lovely stable iPhone 5. Which is sad.

I do suspect it isn't just that it's TLC; over on Reddit at one print a couple of weeks ago, one crashing jailbreak tweak was narrowed down to only happening on devices that had TLC chips from specific manufacturers (SanDisk, mostly). Problem is, it's hard to find the manufacturer unless you're jailbroken, as near as I can tell. Still, that would explain why some people with TLC have problems and others don't.

And yes, mine is SanDisk. I'm not sure how to tell Apple that I'll gladly take a refurb...but that if it has TLC again, I'm handing it right back, and we'll repeat the process until I get a 6/64 that doesn't have this hardware fault. I didn't shell out the better part of $1k to have a phone that honestly isn't reliable, and so far, this one isn't even with moderate use. It positively loves to crash while playing music backgrounded, which frankly is a pretty basic use case for most of us.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Not yet. But if they don't fix this pretty soon via firmware, I'm going to have to. The crashes, bootloops, and the really spectacular BSOD kernel panic that took ten minutes to resolve have me wistful about my lovely stable iPhone 5. Which is sad.

I do suspect it isn't just that it's TLC; over on Reddit at one print a couple of weeks ago, one crashing jailbreak tweak was narrowed down to only happening on devices that had TLC chips from specific manufacturers (SanDisk, mostly). Problem is, it's hard to find the manufacturer unless you're jailbroken, as near as I can tell. Still, that would explain why some people with TLC have problems and others don't.

And yes, mine is SanDisk. I'm not sure how to tell Apple that I'll gladly take a refurb...but that if it has TLC again, I'm handing it right back, and we'll repeat the process until I get a 6/64 that doesn't have this hardware fault. I didn't shell out the better part of $1k to have a phone that honestly isn't reliable, and so far, this one isn't even with moderate use. It positively loves to crash while playing music backgrounded, which frankly is a pretty basic use case for most of us.

I don't even want a refurb. I want a new unit with MLC. I think I'm going to call support today. I paid full price for this phone. This is fairly ridiculous.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I don't even want a refurb. I want a new unit with MLC. I think I'm going to call support today. I paid full price for this phone. This is fairly ridiculous.

Please do post a follow up. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
From what I have seen in other reviews, the TLC crashes are severe, reboot type crashes (not sure of the correct terminology). Is there any reason to think they might also be related to the app crashes (like the occasional Safari crash)?

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
My iPhone 6/64 has TLC and I didn't had any crashes or reboots or things like that.
I like my iPhone like on day one and if it gets issues after some time, I'll send it back and wait for a refurb.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
They pretended it wasn't an actual issue.

Crap. That's exactly what I was afraid of.

I think odds are a bit better trying to exchange it in person. Of course, at this time of year, going to the Apple store in the mall is pretty much the last place on Earth I want to go...

What will you do at this point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.