HP's New Dual-Screen Gaming Laptop Takes Apple's Touch Bar to the Next Level

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

HP today unveiled its first dual-screen gaming laptop, the OMEN X 2S. The notebook's primary 15-inch 1080p display is complemented by a secondary six-inch 1080p touchscreen integrated above the keyboard.

[​IMG]

Like the Touch Bar on recent MacBook Pro models, the second screen on the OMEN X 2S is designed for multitasking. For instance, while gaming, players could use the screen to message teammates in Discord, browse music on Spotify, or stream Twitch or YouTube, complete with support for dedicated hotkeys.

One compromise of the second screen is that the trackpad is positioned to the right of the keyboard, rather than in a center position, but HP believes that most gamers would prefer using their own mice, according to Engadget.

[​IMG]

As far as specs go, the OMEN X 2S is equipped with up to a ninth-generation Intel Core i9 processor, up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 graphics, up to 2TB of SSD storage, and up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM. The notebook uses an advanced thermal solution with three-sided venting to enable five-way airflow.

The notebook is 20mm thick with a full metal chassis, but weight and battery life have yet to be disclosed. HP expects the OMEN X 2S to be available by June, with a starting price of $2,100 in the United States.

Article Link: HP's New Dual-Screen Gaming Laptop Takes Apple's Touch Bar to the Next Level

2. Master Atrus macrumors regular

Well, the concept is interesting, and I don't game enough to know if this is valuable ... but ... if I needed an extra 6" screen, would I just use my phone or iPad? That feels better and more useful.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

That trackpad looks like a delightful experience waiting to happen.

4. ramallite macrumors regular

Because one thing hard-core gamers (the target customers for these machines) have yearned for is the ability to play Spotify and stream YouTube videos while fully concentrating on mowing down their opponents?

5. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

6. Simplifier macrumors member

Simplifier

This seems so useless I don't even know where to start. Complexity precedes simplicity, it doesn't follow it.

7. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

8. darkcompass macrumors member

darkcompass

It will be long before keyboard area will be all touch screen, all purely customizable for whatever need.

9. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

10. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

12. chipb macrumors member

13. Ateam043 macrumors newbie

Serious question, who does hardcore gaming on a laptop?

Wouldn’t it be better to build your own rig at a fraction of a cost?

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Neat but who else is cringing at the hinge?

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It is but the concept is amazing. Makes the touch bar seem very poor.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because comparing Apple's **** implementation to a legic second screen makes sense. I'm not sure why you even bother to try and make the touchbar look good, MR.

Plenty of PC gamers use a 2nd screen for YouTube or Spotify; this is an obvious feature to add.

I can't think of any professional users who ever went "Hey, I know, lets get rid of the [ESC] key!"

17. Goompa macrumors member

Goompa

Someone tell apple and HP that those overpriced screens are WORTHLESS and most ppl don't care!
    I'm tired of the foolishnovative designs apple has made in the last years.

I want a nice computer with no compromises which means: NO MACS at all.

18. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

You have not met my son, he's got three monitors, the middle one is the game, the left is you tube and the right is chat of some description.

19. madrag macrumors 6502

20. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Looks far more useful than Apple's Touch Bar. I can imagine a lot of adolescent gamers liking this.

21. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i agree, but it's very poor as is - apple is not working with it at all, at least they haven't in a while.

22. BipolarAnt macrumors newbie

BipolarAnt

People already do that. And besides, a lot of gamers have a desktop PC with dual monitors. This is for the gamers who want the dual setup, but at the same time want a laptop.

23. frostiex macrumors regular

frostiex

24. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

Based on the article, they don't seem to think a lot of people will use the trackpad and will instead use their own pointing device. Of the ones that do use it, they are assuming most will be right handed, which may be true, but sucks for those that are lefty's.

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone