HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Considering the iPhone 6 took it's design cues from Android phones, it's hard to claim the HTC is a "copy." It's just where the phone industry is now. I get sick of all of this everyone still's from Apple garbage on this site and in these forums.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
You have the nerve to break site rules and accuse me of trolling after your disgusting tasteless joke comment:

Using your logic then, that big HTC logo and entered camera lens makes the A9 look nothing like an iPhone 6. But that doesn't fit in with your tasteless joke threads then does it?
You said iPhone 6 is a copy of ATIV S.

Your trolling co'z you know it looks different..

Reactions: FFR and Max(IT)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I can just see their web admin guy...

"Boss, are you sure I should upload this page to put this phone up for sale? Are you sure? Cause.. well.. I just feel like... it's familiar... and... uh... "

Reactions: Max(IT)

mel823

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Why did the mods remove the A9 thread from Alternatives, where we were having a civilized discussion, and merge it with this embarrassment of a thread?

Reactions: MRU

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Wow.. HTC has lost all credibility with the Android Community. This phone will be one that everyone will look at for 2 weeks then wish they had another phone.

It’s funny actually, the One A9 landing page has the quote “Design worth imitating” on it. It’s like HTC admitting to Apple that they were onto something the last few years.

Well, not my concern. Nexus or bust is my mantra.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
I don't need to have my eyes checked to see they went from a drab plastic case to an iPhone 5 knockoff:
  • Aluminum unibody construction
  • Beveled polished edges EXACTLY like the iPhone 5
  • Antennae bands Exactly the same as the iPhone 5
  • Black, White, and Gold Exactly the same as iPhone 5

Yes, there are some obvious differences I agree. Most notably the front speakers and no home button and the fact they couldn't match the thinness so they added those ugly curves. All of which they have abandoned in the A9 for a complete iPhone 6/6s replica!!!
You do need your eyes checked if you think this and the 5 look anything alike.

Reactions: jedifaka

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Why are people saying they copied the iPhone when the HTC has been doing a metal unibody phone with "tacky" bands since the m7, which came out before the iPhone 6. When the iPHone 6 came out, all I thought was "that's an uglier HTC One"

Reactions: shady909

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Pretty much every other company has shamelessly ripped of Apple website design, wording, and advertising. Pisses me off.
You couldn't be more wrong. More sites are going Material design with the hamburger menu. This was first developed by Google. And no one... I MEAN NO ONE.... will ever use apple's advertising except apple. You will never hear google or their hardware manufacturers say "Our device is Magical!" "When you touch the screen, you really feel it!" Sorry, you're pissed off for something that doesn't exist, except in your head.

darkSpace

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
South Florida
Incoming speculation:

Maybe HTC isn't serious about this phone. It could be using it to get people talking about HTC. If Apple sues, the legal fees may just be factored as HTC's cost of advertising. If Apple sues it just legitimizes the phone and gives undeserved attention.

Just a clever marketing plan. ;)

Reactions: shanson27

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
As mentioned before, Apple iPhone 5 had these UGLY antennae bands a full 6 months before the HTC One M7. Throw in the other designs that were also copied like the unibody aluminum shell, chamfered edges and exact color matches and you can can see why people think HTC has a LONG history of copying Apple design ideas.
The bands are attractive, though, on the iPhone 5, because they are better proportioned in relation to the rest of the body. On the 6, they look plasticky and out of place.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Taking design features and elements from another company's product and putting it into your own is one thing, but this is just blatant, shameless copying
If you look at their previous phone, it's really just a flattened evolution of their previous design.

antisocialzone

Suspended
Oct 7, 2015
aha
Well, considering Apple rippied off HTC's design in the first place for the iPhone 6. Then this is just HTC perfecting the design Apple ripped off.

I love your comment because it is the only one with true validity. You see this is something I really respect HTC for, they never came out and said.. Apple bought off one of our people here at HTC design labs and how Apple paid BIG bucks to get the design and then raced last year to be the first ones to release it. HTC did not complain at all... kind of just let it go. Hmmm

Now HTC releases their own design and the sheeple "of course" say Oh look Oh look copy cat this and that. Of course how are the sheeple to know anyway? It does not matter because everybody copies everybody... because humans are just hairless monkey's anyway. The reason HTC is king for me is because they don't b*tch and complain like little b**ches! Does Apple? Well you be the judge of that one, once they start the whole court feud real soon. ;)

After all this though i still have an iPhone and only Apple products but it does make me wonder that the company I love is just a big bunch of babies along with their fan base.

PS: I have never owned an HTC and probably never will. But respect is due. Nice phone btw LOL

Last edited:

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2013
Not a fan of iPhone 6 back at all,and this one looks even uglier than 6.
I will be replacing my iPhone 6 with a gold Note 5,until next year to see iPhone 7.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Why are people saying they copied the iPhone when the HTC has been doing a metal unibody phone with "tacky" bands since the m7, which came out before the iPhone 6. When the iPHone 6 came out, all I thought was "that's an uglier HTC One"
Because the iPhone 5 had the unibody construction and antennae bands 6 months BEFORE the HTC One M7 came out that's why. Not to mention the other blatant ripoffs of chamfered edges and color schemes.

techwhiz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Reactions: kdarling