HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Grow up a little and stop calling them Samesung, makes you look childish.
Sure single me out and act like no one else has ever used the term.

Also how does calling them that "look childish"

We going to call terms like "Fandroid" childish too? I am quite Grown thank you. One has to question how grown you are though nitpicking with me?

Go call out someone else and maybe enjoy some cheese with your whine

Reactions: WWPD

armin89

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I bet the phone feels like a Chinese fake iphone that you could buy for $50
I remember that HTC was a real phone maker (obviously before original original iPhone era)

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
look out lawsuit...

it *does* look like an iPhone, if it wasn't for the wrong camera position/LED and the HTC logo.

Whats with the flashy ad's? HTC wants to become just like Apple with them.?

Apple will find a way in on this one... but it's an android phone :)

Last edited:

Markshall

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
England
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

On another note, the picture caption should be "The HTC One A9 compared to the iPhone 6 and 6s Plus, via The Verge"

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Because the iPhone 5 had the unibody construction and antennae bands 6 months BEFORE the HTC One M7 came out that's why. Not to mention the other blatant ripoffs of chamfered edges and color schemes.
I didn't mean just unibody. I meant all metal & bands. The HTC One had the bands across the back before the iPhone 6. No, the ipHone 5 and 5S only had bands on the side. The back of those phones did not have the unsightly bands running across. The 5 and 5S did not feature all metal, just some metal in the back with top and bottom glass panels. Either way, I see the HTC One A9 an evolution of their design theme since the M7.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
Am I missing something? 11 pages of nonsense, maybe I'm missing the point. Besides another incredibly moronic "hur dur someone copied apple again" thread, hasn't HTC done the metal back/antenna lines designs for the past 5 or 6 years? Didn't Apple pretty much copy this from them? I know I'm missing something, I just cannot fathom someone being that stupid, yet here we are 11 pages in. But I guess we had what 30 or so pages on the morons who said the S6 was a copy of the iPhone.

Edit: Man, I can't believe some are saying HTC copied the iPhone 5, a completely different phone. Antenna lines were necessary due to the metal housing, kind of obvious. It's like saying hey they have a camera on the back, they copied Apple. The iPhone 5 is completely different, smaller, MUCH more squared off, chamfered edges instead of rounded, etc. Seriously guys, I'm losing my hope for humanity. Anyone see the movie Idiocracy?

bgr-htc-one-m8-27.jpg

Last edited:

Tjex

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
Do you realize that Apple copied HTC initially for the iphone6? HTC has had this design for years!

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
Yea I was a bit confused about all these "copy" comments, when honestly HTC did the antenna bands through the top/bottom on an all metal design before fall 2014..

Reactions: jedifaka

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
"I hereby declare HTC as an iPhone copier!! Heck Samsung and Sony copied them also. Time to nuke them!!! Wait is that Starbucks? Mmmm hold on a minute, look at the shape of the cup and the rim looks like an antenna line, Starbucks copied Apple also arghhh!"
untitled (2).png

Reactions: apolloa

LXC101

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
This phone is legitimately hideous.

I don't know how you can blatantly rip off the iPhone's back and manage to make it ugly (or uglier, depending who you ask). HTC should have evolved their original design, not create the rip-off frankenstein.

EDIT: I just saw the front. Are we sure this is HTC and not a iFonne 6C?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
... that can be expanded to 2TB with a microSD card.

This sounds good to me - I wonder if Apple will ever go for SD cards in their phones.
lol - And give up the fat upgrade $$$ from having squat in the base model? Why do you think the base has remained 16 Gigs for so long? The lemmings here will say it's because Granny doesn't need more than 16 Gigs. As I said before - lol

Reactions: shady909

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I liked the design of the M8. Why would they change it to look like iPhone 6 for? lol

KALLT

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2008
We're really saying HTC copied Apple?

There are dozens of distinctions beyond just ‘lines’, but even the lines are different on the iPhone 6. These are two largely different phones from a design perspective.

Metal body with antennae lines is HTC design language. There's no doubt about that. One could easily say the iPhone's design was inspired by the M7. A9 is HTC mid tier offering. Their flagship still offers the brushed aluminum and curved back. If anything, the design language of HTC's and Apple's phones reminds me of an ouroboros.
Design aspects will always be borrowed and they will always overlap. That’s not the point. But nobody can honestly deny that HTC has copied the look and feel of the iPhone 6, even if they had metal bodies with lines before. Look at the difference between their other recent designs, it’s a clear departure. HTC actually has a very nice design language for a couple of years now, which makes this matter even more disappointing.

So HTC are the new Samsung.

What is the point of patent laws? This blatant copying of the antenna bands and protruding camera shows that the laws are impotent. Whilst I don't care for the design of the iPhone 6, what it means is that design is devalued. Designers will be deterred from creating brilliance, knowing that if they do, their designs will get ripped off with no penalty.

We can therefore look forward to bland design in the future, all because of the inability of the American courts to carry out justice.
Patents are not meant to protect companies’ product designs beyond technological implementations of inventions. What this is about is industrial design and trademark, which are protected in their own right.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Thermo Nuclear War on HTC in 3,2,1...BOOM!
Also, the centered camera is not actually centered if you look closely. It is slightly to the right. LAME.

Archty

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
look like a prototype iPhone 6 lol. I don't get it, do designers really thinks that the new iPhone form is ideal? it is pretty simple apart from the stability and security.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Not bad but uglified by the logo / huge void above the home button. Are they the only ones who need it to 'put stuff behind there'?.

And the 2,150mAh battery is a worry. Can't see that working out as anything but insufficient. Of course, quick charge can help but I've been there/done that and it gets annoying quickly. There's always days when you just want to use a phone without having to put cycles on the battery early afternoon.

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
Just wow. This def wins an oscar for most iPhone lookalike ever.

Though, I wish Apple would do away with round home button (small squared one would be nice) and move the front facing camera to bottom the right of the ear speaker. That way, it would not stand too tall (saving half to 1 inch) and still maintain the large screen factor.