Huawei Ad Teases 'The Real AI Phone', Mocks Facial Recognition in Clear Dig at Apple

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Correct, but the people who want these are typically young kids, such as teen girls, yet the phone's price tag is certainly not targeted towards them. So if you're positioning a phone's price point for a given demographic, then it should have features for that demographic, not for some teen girls, who use snapchat all the time. I'm not knocking that, as my girls use those sort of things, but they're certainly not getting an iPhone x.
I’m definitely not a teen and I’m looking forward to them.

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Whatever. Their arrogance is built on the foundation of IP theft that permeated entire industries in China. Wake me up when they originate something truly new and useful.
Wake me up when Apple originated something truly new and useful. I can't see that with ****** iPhone X.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Trying to pick a feature, which actually worked perfectly, as intended, during the keynote. Well done, Huawei's marketing team.
if you have to invoke Apple (even if you don’t mention by name) it’s pretty clear you know no one is interested in you and this is just a way to get attention.

Reactions: KeithBN

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
Correct, but the people who want these are typically young kids, such as teen girls, yet the phone's price tag is certainly not targeted towards them.
Teen girls are one of the most influential groups in American culture. Their use is associated with the popularization of most new words and fashions.

Reactions: Kengineer

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
If animated emojis are the main feature of the phone, then its a sad day for apple products.

apple as cool when Jobs was running it now we get this???
View attachment 718672
The person that says the above is probably not a research engineer or a staff engineer if at all.

It seems quite obvious that animated emojis is a test platform for the underlying technology necessary to make such things and other things work. The fact that animated emojis are even offered is a perk that will indeed result in billions of dollars added to Apple. The underlying technology is the real product here. In fact, it may be the case that most other companies have been caught again being behind Apple, and now everyone has to catchup to apple once again.

In any case, what any one here says will be of little difference to any of us. Bests.

swm

macrumors regular
May 29, 2013
"Huawei surpassed Apple's global smartphone sales for the first time in June and July"

ok. lets just compare the cheapest phones both player have in their range.
iphone SE (32GB) - $349 (out of 7)
HUAWEI Y3 II DUAL SIM w/ (8GB) - $99 (out of 30)

not exactly the same, right? so if one chooses to get a huawei, its probably because of the price, i guess.
some people identify vendors based on their flagship device, and in most cases their revenue comes from the lower end stuff.

Amacfa

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
D.C.
If animated emojis are the main feature of the phone, then its a sad day for apple products.

apple as cool when Jobs was running it now we get this???
View attachment 718672
You don’t seem like an Apple enthusiast, this isn’t the first time you made these type of comments, like the time you claimed Apple created fake demand/fake supply constraints to drive up sales during launch.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Ok, is nobody going to mention the fact that they claim their processors are 20 times faster than traditional processors? Sure, they made fun of FaceID, whatever, this claim is by far the bigger BS of the story.

20x improvement is a 2000% increase in performance. I don’t even know what that would look like, but a company that could pull that off would have basically cornered the market for processors for decades.

So, I guess, congrats Huawei (Hoo-Ah-Way)?

Amacfa

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Correct, but the people who want these are typically young kids, such as teen girls, yet the phone's price tag is certainly not targeted towards them. So if you're positioning a phone's price point for a given demographic, then it should have features for that demographic, not for some teen girls, who use snapchat all the time. I'm not knocking that, as my girls use those sort of things, but they're certainly not getting an iPhone x.
I’m not a teen and I can see myself using Animoji’s, even amongst professionals and clients in my field.
I trot out the corpse when it makes sense, and in this instance its apropo.
You should be removed of your moderator status for this appalling comment.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Trying to pick a feature, which actually worked perfectly, as intended, during the keynote. Well done, Huawei's marketing team.
Respectfully, you're wrong. The product worked exactly as it was supposed to work. Unfortunately the product didn't work exactly as Apple wanted it to work. There's no way Apple wanted to go on the "explain the failure that wasn't a failure" tour of press interviews.

Product worked and did not fail. Demo failed. Craig was supposed to pick up that phone and have it immediately unlock via Face ID.

Reactions: jeremiah256

PG(Austin)

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2004
Austin, TX
WHA WAY....What a stupid name...and who would actually buy these crap devices except for people who have no clue about technology and that their phone is actually routing calls directly through Beijing. Huawei can shove it wha waaaaay up their...

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Czech Republic
Respectfully, you're wrong. The product worked exactly as it was supposed to work. Unfortunately the product didn't work exactly as Apple wanted it to work. There's no way Apple wanted to go on the "explain the failure that wasn't a failure" tour of press interviews.

Product worked and did not fail. Demo failed. Craig was supposed to pick up that phone and have it immediately unlock via Face ID.
As intended from production, I've never mentioned the demo.

weien02

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
This is why I sometimes despise some Android manufacturers. They only feel validated when they mock Apple. Get into your own league and prove yourself to be better instead of playing these games.

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Before: Everyone on the forums slams Apple's new Face ID, without having tried it.
Another mobile manufacturer slams Apple's new Face ID, without having tried it.
Now: Everyone on the forums defends Apple's new Face ID, saying you shouldn't judge it without having tried it.

You can't make this stuff up... :confused:

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Your pic of old white dudes laughing about the threat of Huawei is quite appropriate is it captures the blissful ignorance of a narrow cultural focus.

Let's see Huawei is
  • #3 smartphone manufacturer in the world
  • #1 in their home country - luckily for Apple that country only has 1.4 billion people
  • growing faster than any of the competition
But keep laughing old white dudes, I'm sure they are no real threat.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
@LovingTeddy
Yes, we know you may live and work in Canada currently, but are all about the greatness of the collective hivelike synergy between citizens, business and government, over any sense of individual rights. You've spoken about how your government engineered a rapid transformation from agrarian poverty to industrial greatness. I can understand your pride in that, however...and I'll get to that "however" in a moment.

And while you personally have not spoken of achieving domination of Chinese business in all industries, plenty of your countrymen have in many honest and public interviews, by whatever means necessary, such as copying and adaptation of pre-existing IP. (I do commend their honesty, though it is fueled by raw arrogance because they know their methods are tried and true and will succeed because our companies are killing themselves with their raw greed. Our top executives are the worst. Unfortunately it's our workers who suffer).

Our companies really are stupid and deserve to fail if they persist in giving away everything that makes them what they are, in order to get access to your vast market. Time and time again, we have seen western companies attempt to do business in good faith in China, only to emerge battered and almost bankrupt with nothing to show for it, but a new adversary ready to enter OUR market with concepts, designs, and products that look oddly familiar, but are less expensive. And just crappy enough to necessitate us coming back for more, as everything breaks down and clogs our landfills and recycling centers months and even years before it really ought to be breaking down.

...and now the "however"...

I could respect your country's growing dominance and amazing progress IF all of that wonderful rapid progress had not depended so heavily on THEFT and betrayal. But I don't hold my country blameless. Nor Apple. Any of our businesses who do business in your country do tend to exploit the labor of good people, even children, struggling to make a living wage. Your government allows it to happen because it's fueling your growth and economic engine. Some of our businesses turn a blind eye to it for the same reason and it's left to socially conscience consumers to demand better for your people and ours.

The key difference is that I know many people who genuinely care about the people in your country. We recoil from tales of worker exploitation and boycott products we know are produced in unsafe conditions. Consumers pressured Apple to do everything in their power to ensure humane working conditions when we became aware of the suicides at Foxconn. We care. We work hard to try not to say anything that could be construed as racist even when it costs us in jobs. But I really don't know if your people return that care. I hope so, but I have yet to see any indication they do or could, when individual identity is so tightly woven with business and government identity.

Anyway, you have some nerve coming on to an Apple forum and calling it overpriced crap and calling us fanboys. I own an HTC and a Samsung, so I'm hardly nationalistic or a fanboy, by the way. And since my iPhone is manufactured in China, if it were crap, then China can take some of the blame for that. But the fact that it is not crap is testament that Chinese workers are pretty damned good. They have my respect. Their government and their industry leaders do not.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
As intended from production, I've never mentioned the demo.
You never mentioned the demo? Uh, I guess I completely misinterpreted what you meant by this:
"...which actually worked perfectly, as intended, during the keynote.
So what exactly do you think they intended during the keynote? Something other than the demo?

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Czech Republic
You never mentioned the demo? Uh, I guess I completely misinterpreted what you meant by this:

So what exactly do you think they intended during the keynote? Something other than the demo?
Again, I was referring to the R&D and production, not to the actual keynote / demo. Yes, the demo failed, no the Face ID didn't fail but thank you for being picky.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Again, I was referring to the R&D and production, not to the actual keynote / demo. Yes, the demo failed, no the Face ID didn't fail but thank you for being picky.
Picky? Please tell me you're kidding. There is absolutely nothing in your quote referencing R&D or production. Literally nothing. But there is implication in your quote that you were in fact referencing the keynote. Actually there's more than implication, there are actual words in your quote referencing the keynote.

Please help me connect the dots from what you wrote to R&D and production. No snark. I don't see a connection at all.

Reactions: sinsin07