I finally snapped. (Destroyed Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djdtm, Jul 3, 2010.

1. djdtm macrumors newbie

I signed up only to share my story about my experience with Apple Care and Macbook Pro's common issues.

First it was the Fan, then the Superdrive went, then my mouse and keyboard just stopped working.

14 total days of Apple Care bull, and 2 repairs, my laptop came back in worse condition than I had sent it in, and who is going to be patient to wait longer than half a month when they're very life depends on it.

Now I think I've ruined my life.

*Video Removed*

Updates:

- Life not ruined. I'm operating on a machine I built a year before purchasing my Macbook Pro.
    - Talking with Apple Custom Support on Monday.

2. Don Nguyen macrumors member

I feel your pain (to a lesser degree). I sent my less than 1 month old MBP to get tests ran/done on it to determine what was wrong (graphics card ended up being the culprit), and received it in worse condition than I had sent it out.

Although it was only a couple of loose screws that they didn't even bother fully screwing back in, and a small ding on the bottom of the case, it's kind of a joke. Who really half asses fully securing the screws down on the case?

I feel like Apple's quality overall has gone down quite a bit lately.

3. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, it's a shame really, I just got off the phone with Kevin, some technical manager, and sounds like things will be taken care of for the moment.

It really makes me feel like building a website specifically to collect all the bad press, and bad reviews of Apple products and services.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

u should of sent it to apple to begin with, NOT a 3rd party so thats your fault. genius bar for a reason.

5. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

How was I supposed to know they were going to not only take longer, but after 2 go-a-rounds, leave me with used parts in worse condition?

Do they just give out certifications or what?

I mean sure I'm to blame for punching my own screen, but the frustration's through out are completely logical.

1.) Go to local apple certified tech people
    2.) Get told it would take a couple days
    3.) Sending it to apple would take over a week.
    4.) It ends up taking half a month.
    5.) Nothing was fixed.

Am I still to blame?

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't like using the word "Blame", however you're just creating a scenario with Apple as if you already know how they were going to handle the situation. I'm talking about numbers 3-5 on your list. I agree with number 3 as that makes perfect sense, a week in service is about right, however you're sending it directly to Apple and they wouldn't let things get this far out of hand and do shotty service like you've received from that 3rd party. Sure, why shouldn't you be able to trust a 3rd party, they are certified after all, but after they screwed up the first repair then you should've sent it to Apple.

Man, you effed up that screen out of anger and honestly, you'd best pull out your credit card and get a new Macbook Pro if you're using it for work, because that's what Apple would've done for you had it not been fixed properly by them. Sorry though, I do your frustration in your video. Good luck.

7. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

Your absolutely right. The first go around was enough of a sign to tell me to send it directly to apple, but an additional week was not at all possible, I was already losing money, and desperate to have a barely functioning laptop, they prompted me my laptop in that condition a couple days after the first 12 day wait.

Yea, the screen's done for, I would get a whole new one if I wouldn't have to spend more time transferring my life from one hard drive to the next, then trying to get Apple to repair my Macbook pro for reals this time.

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

sounds like quite a lemon. sorry to hear it and I hope you get it all fixed up soon. Glad I never had any issues with my unibody MBP.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Man I could have done a better job repairing this. Sorry bud.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Thats one bad looking MacBook Pro. I was gonna say maybe find the topcase on iFixiT, and a new display on ebay. You can sell your MBP for parts on eBay too. Just keep your HD, and buy a refurbished MB or MBP from Apple.

11. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing too, the unibodies came out like a month an a half after I bought mine...

Get certification. :)

Those are all very good solutions. Thank you very much. :)

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15"

Just look at the bottom to find what model your is (eg. A1226 or A1260) You can also try eBy, and type your model and then the part. (Eg. A1260 topcase or A1226 Display assembly)
    If/When you get the parts, iFixit has a set of repair guides for your computer. So you will get step by step directions of how to install the part.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/MacBook_Pro

But depending of how much it costs for the parts, I might suggest selling it on eBay for parts and buying a new/used/refurbished MacBook/MacBook Pro from Apple or eBay.

Good luck, and sorry about your MBP.

13. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

If Apple refuses to take in my Macbook Pro in its current state to repair it, then I will most definitely use this website. Thank you.

14. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

in the video you said you sent it some some random third party in your OP you said you sent it to apple.

EDIT

OP are you joking? why are you complaining about apple care and shi**y macbook pro when you haven't even given apple a chance to fix it.

hahaha wtf? why would apple fix it now that you let some random group of clowns jack it up?

Sounds like you got upset had a hissy fit and now your screwed. why did you put duct tape on your laptop?

EDIT 2

No one wanting to help you? Help Yourself! It's called apple care, and they help you for 3 years. lmao. but i guess its too late now.

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

To be honest it is your fault for sending it back to the third party after the first repair and not getting Apple to fix it.

You say that you couldn't do this as you where already loosing money and it was going to take a week to repair but now you have smashed the screen how much money are you going to loose until this is fixed ?

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I was certified before I went to pharmacy school lol. Was an Asus repair technician :cool:

17. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Prehaps you should see how much Apple is charging to replace the top case and display, and compare it to some other prices like iFixit or eBay. Using the repair guides, its not to hard to replace the parts your self, but Apple guarantees that they will fix it because you are paying them, and they make the computer.

18. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Damn. There was real frustration in this...! Dang....you shouldn't have punched it in the face...you should've kept trying....they probably would've replaced your laptop! :(

19. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Nothing works in that machine now. He would need to get a new computer.

optical drive out
    lcd broke, lcd cover broken, top case probably broken
    i'm thinking he needs a new mobo too...

20. kaheiyeh macrumors member

Anyone should be able to bring it to any Apple Certified Repair shop for a repair and expect the same level of quality in the repair job as if it were brought in directly to Apple. Afterall, Apple certifies them. Quote from Apple Support, "Apple Authorised Service Providers have trained technicians in-house to ensure that your Apple computer gets the best care. Their highly-trained staff possess an unparalleled level of technical knowledge about Apple products, allowing them to supply total quality care."

OP should complain to Apple about shoddy repairs to see if they can revoke the certification from that pathetic shop and gain any compensation.

21. unamused macrumors 6502

thats a shame... apple has really started slipping in their QC dept... apparently their certification program isnt too much to talk about either...

hope for the best!

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Of course it's Apple's fault, it's always Apple's fault on this unforgiving forum. :rolleyes:. Just couldn't be a well qualified lazy-ass 3rd party technician huh? :rolleyes:

23. djdtm thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually was not so random because Apple lists Secant Technologies as a certified Apple service providers.

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/ (Search "Kalamazoo, MI")

No I'm not joking, Apple Care is responsible for this because of their loose qualifications for Certification.

I put duct tape to keep the top case connected to the rest of the laptop, because the guys at Secant half-assed the job, and gave me an older topcase in worse condition than my original one.

I have a good half a year left on my Apple Care, thank you very much. So I'm still covered should they choose to provide me with the quality services they've been promising to provide me.

Again, Secant Technologies, was listed as a CERTIFIED Apple service provider right on Apple's website. *See Above*

Luckily I have a PC that I built about a year before I bought my Mac (What I used to learn everything that is currently making money), that has been outliving it since. I'll be able to operate on this box as efficiently and effectively if not more so than while I'm on my Macbook Pro.

I have to remind myself sometimes that Apple products are "accessories".

Nice dude. :)

Ah I understand, well I'm hoping they could do it for free, since I'm still have Apple Care.

Yea, I should have just sent it to the Apple guy's instead of believing a certified Apple service provider telling me it will only take a couple days.

Yea, it's pretty much an expensive paperweight.

Exactly, I appreciate the fact that you understand my frustrations. I honestly believed that Secant would have provided me just as good service as they were certified by Apple.

It is definitely a shame. Thank you. :)

Which is most likely the case... Lazy, or shady... Why else would he swap the new top case from the first repair with a top case in worse condition than I had originally.

24. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I feel horrible for you dude, that "fix" you received from the company is nothing short of criminal.

But punching your screen... You might has well have set $2000 on fire. Twice.

25. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...so you got a **** repair from a 3rd party vendor you were trying to cut corners with in the first place...

...that was a gamble you decided to take on your own to "save time" then you lost it and destroyed your machine...

wow so that ='s all apples fault for listing that 3rd party vendor as a repair place, sorry but take responsibility for your own actions = no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions any more = its sad...