iPhone X I get it you don't like the notch..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fthree, Jan 28, 2018.

1. 920R macrumors member

920R

I like the notch. The only time I see it is when I pick up my phone and am deciding which way to hold it. Other than that it disappears into everyday use.

I prefer to look at the space beside the notches as extra space for the signal strength meter and clock. Think: The space at the top of the phone is half full of pixels, not half empty.

2. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

I like the glass half full approach. Way too many Debbie Downers (myself included) that view it as glass half empty and pessimistic about it. I'm really trying to embrace it, but as soon as I go to the gym and work out + watch 18:9 optimized content, I just can't. Where did Will Byers go? He was taken by the notch, not the monster!

3. mrochester macrumors 68000

At least the space has been used well.
    Exactly. The notch gives us extra screen space, not less. Without the notch, the black bar would have to run along the whole top of the phone, pushing the time and notification icons down the screen and reducing the amount of available screen space.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But that's not how everybody's going to view it. They don't like the notch for what it is because it's not uniform, that's where the problem is for others. I don't have an issue with it personally, but I certainly do understand the opposing argument how it can be intrusive, it's just a matter of others take notice of it or not.

5. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

6. jazzimat macrumors newbie

I love the notch. It makes it so easy to align a glass screen protector on. Just line it up with the notch and lay it on. No more crooked screen protectors for me!:)

7. b.lance0823 macrumors newbie

Congrats. That’s your preference. Let other X owners enjoy their device.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I often watch video on my 6s holding the phone with my thumb on the bezel. I've tried a grip mimicking what I'd need to do on the X. It's just not as comfortable.

9. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

An how is he keeping you or others from enjoying their device?

10. RattDawg macrumors newbie

I was a little concerned about the notch before getting the X but after having it a few days I don’t even notice it. I agree I’d rather have the notch wit it’s nooks for the indicators than have a full bezel that would push them down into the screen.

11. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

When was the ladt time you checked?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    I'm not saying they still won't sell, but they will lose significant market share if they continue to churn out a lack of innovation. Eventually we may see only first time phone buyers buying Apple and then moving to Android after 2 years when they realise "is this it?". Iphone's existence will be reliant on the naievety of first phone buyers and stubborn loyalists.

I emailed Apple. Called them unoriginal and boring. They didn't reapond.

12. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

Notch is bad and ugly because:
    1. On movies, the english subtitles cannot be viewed if you decided full screen
    2. You have to choice movie with subtitles but less screen area making it letterbox on sides with huge black bars left and right or No subtitles at all but full screen, even it the notch blocking few screen area.
    3. Japan has a smartphone that has invisible speaker that is located on top of screen somewhat sort of vibration, while iPhone X cannot easily remove its notches where the top (phone) speaker and camera is located.
    4. Now that iPad Pro had No notches, iPhone XS max next to the iPad Pro seems tiny and unattractively ugly even worst!

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

Apple never reply they know everything
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    The NOTCH is ugly and many people like me will keep the the old iPhone as long as we can, no wander Apple still sell the iPhone 7 and 8 thing they never did before

14. Fusionskies macrumors member

Fusionskies

I really don't mind the notch as I'm still getting a larger display coming from my iPhone 8.

15. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Apple has always sold older models of their phones when the newer ones come out. They've always dropped the price by at least $100.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    I'd wager a bet, most people against the notch haven't actually used it for a week.

16. nouveau_redneck macrumors regular

nouveau_redneck

It's not "here to stay". All things change, including iPhones. Apple will do away with it one way or another, either by using a thin bezel or using technology to hide the cameras and sensors under the screen.

I'd give the notch as we know it maybe 2 more years, 3 tops. Apple knows there is a significant number of iPhone users that won't buy a phone with a notch, and they want us back.

As for the notch itself, it is ugly, and destroys any attempt at making an ergonomically balanced look.

17. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

I just bought the new IPAD PRO Apple didn't put a NOTCH I bet if the make new iPhone two models one with a NOTCH one without NO ONE WILL BUY THE ONE WITH NOTCH

18. mib1800 macrumors 68030

Flawed reasoning.
    Top bezel is not counted in phone screen size. Notch is. Therefore notch eats into your screen area

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Not really, they don’t cut into a video.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It is what it is. I don’t see the point in moaning about it because it’s not going to disappear. The only time it was an issue for me was when I had the x and I was watching a video. On the x the viewing area was so tiny because I came from the 7 plus but when I filled the screen the notch was in the video. Now I have the Xs max which has a big enough screen for viewing videos I don’t have this problem.

21. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Why would the iPad have a notch? It’s bezels are already bigger than the iPhones notch. Only times the notch is in the way is when watching full screen video. I never view videos like this though as it cuts the top and bottom. It therefore looks like an 8 which no one has a problem with so what’s the argument?

22. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Notch? What notch?

Oh, that notch! If you didn't remind me, I'd absolutely forget that it's actually there...

As for those using their phones as handheld theaters:

23. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Lol.

24. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

iPad's bezels are much larger, that's why they didn't have to make a notch.

25. Matz Contributor

Matz