iPhone X I get it you don't like the notch..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fthree, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I'm sure Tim Cook would be thrilled with your statement that ios is not for me, because that's potentially another customer lost. I'm not alone. People are leaving iphone for alternatives. If more and more become like me, their iphone business will dwindle. Is it too much to ask to add new features to os? I think for Apple it is too much. I think they're incapable.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have no idea why your interjecting Tim Cook into this argument, which isn't relevant at all. Not to mention, even if he did Care, do you think Tim Cook doesn't realize that Apple Cant appease to every consumer out there? That's not possible for him to make everybody content with every decision Apple makes with the process with the iPhone and iOS.

It's really hard to make an assessment based off what you're saying will "dwindle" the iPhone business, considering the millions of iPhone customers every single day that that are likely perfectly content the way iOS and their iPhone performs. As I stated before, perhaps you should consider another platform, if you're this disgruntled over iOS and Apple.

So, you're saying in your first sentence in this Post that "Tim Cook would be thrilled with your statement that iOS is not for you", yet you're calling Apple incapable? Do you think Tim Cook would be "thrilled" with that statement you just made? Perhaps your questions/concerns should be directed towards Apple, not me. I can't change your concerns with Apple for you.

3. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Android is and always will be junk. No one here is interested in that. Android is better compared to a Pinto, particularly the one that explodes and is banned from airplanes.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I have come to live with it. Even if iPhone X isn’t the first bezel-less phone, to me it’s the best. The fluidity in the software, the security and quality of apps will always make me come back to iPhone. Notch or no notch.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m not sure that is true. It’s a long time since I’ve owned an Android phone but viewing it on others I’d say it essentially does the same standard smartphone tasks that iOS does. It’s a matter of individual taste and Android is very capable and you’d hope so with it’s global reach.

Google Android wasn’t responsible for an OEM (Samsung) that uses its software, making a design error with a battery either. That was a hardware issue, not software. If we go down petty routes like that to have digs we’d have to take the mick out of iPhones for bending or losing signal with the incorrect grip lol. We all know that’s not an issue anymore.

6. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I own the X. I just think it's silly when people say "I don't notice the notch" or my favorite, "the notch distinguishes the iPhone X from everything else." I don't walk around judging people based on what phone they use. I did walk around looking at other X screens and got annoyed when every one I saw in the wild looked perfect and mine had pink tint and pink edges. Current one is flawless in every way, but for the notch.

Plenty are interested. If you haven't used a Pixel you haven't used Android. I know that's quite a statement but it is true, in my opinion. It's very different vs. the likes of Samsung, LG. Not talking about hardware. Apple still hasn't fixed CarPlay totally crapping out in my 2018 Audi, it has been broken since 11.0.X. Android Auto has always worked. Google Duo has some work to do re: video calling but it's adequate, FaceTime is still better. There are several other ways Android blows away iOS, as there are also ways iOS blows away Android. But I certainly would not call pure Android junk.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

Color me silly then because I do not really notice the notch and yes, for me, it does make the phone distinguishing and unique. If you don't dig it, then you don't but I do..

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The iPhone X is certainly the first iPhone I know of that has divided opinion so much amongst iPhone users. Apart from the Plus models it’s the first release I haven’t lusted after for one reason or another. The notch and price are the key features I think that have put an element of the user base off but this has meant other models are enjoying a healthy following. I think the next generation of iPhone will be a slow transition with users adapting over a few years rather than accepting things straight away, not something Apple are used to. It’ll be a hard nut to crack and it’s good they offer multiple options.

9. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

If they release a new 4" SE with internals of a 7 with updated LTE bands / carrier aggregation it will be among the best phones on the market, period. Big mistake if they choose to scrap it and proceed with 5.8, 6.1, and 6.5. I think the true "X" design will come in 2019 when they can optimize the notch. Apple is too stubborn to ever get rid of it, I predict.

10. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

By “iPhone users” you mean Macforums members. I don’t see the division outside of this community. People either think the price is ok and love it or say “that’s too much money for a phone” and leave it at that.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

First, we don't know if iPhone SE was a one time offering or not. Apple priced the iPhone SE affordably, because it did not incorporate the latest technology and it was really meant to serve those who wanted the four inch form factor and the commerce in India's market.

Second, when the iPhone SE was released, it had exact same internals as the latest iPhone that was offered at the time which was the iPhone 6s. So it is possible that the iPhone SE 2 if updated this year, they could have similar internals to the iPhone 8.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

That’s really what I meant. Pretty much every person I know thinks it costs too much and that’s about as far as the conversation goes. The only person I know who had one traded it for an 8 Plus but that was more to do with not liking it rather than the price. I would have made him an offer for it if it hadn’t been scratched and battered within an inch of its life. I don’t know anybody in my circles who has even heard of Mac Rumors however or takes the time to discuss mobile phones online. I think we’re an unusual crowd.

It’s not been an iPhone widely loved in my experience or a must have like previous versions and that was the point I was making.

13. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

Maybe a few years ago but it has improved out of sight.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. As an iPhone user, android has come along way from where it was, which I had a Galaxy S4 years back, which today, its so much better. But android in general is not enough to sway me from iOS.

15. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

My point is, and it's very sinple really:

1) The head honcho of a company would not want to hear news that his company's product is not for a certain user, when that user has been a company customer for 10 years. In other words, do something about it Cook because the user is getting a little bored with the same old same old.

2) if more and more continue to drop Apple, then eventually there will be no more iphone business. When is it acceptable for Apple to say enough is enough? At what number of customers lost will Apple and Cook say right, we gotta do something?

So to simply dismiss it as "oh well you're not for iphone" is something Cook needs to address so it is for me and millions like me.

16. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Has it? Because last time I checked the install base is all over the map in terms of Android versions and most ship with bloatware on top from either the hardware vendor and/or the carrier. It’s everything that is wrong with Windows scaled down for a phone. Throwing as many features into software is not innovation; it’s desperation.

17. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Lenses are round. Every lens creates a circular image.

But then every camera crops the image into a rectangle, because that's more attractive to the human eye. But taking your argument, all cameras "limit the visibility".

Fact is, something things just look better. And screens without a chunk taken out of them look better than the ones that do. If the notch really was a good idea, we'd see iMacs, MacBooks and iPads all adopting the notch.

18. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

But you’ve touch on exactly why Android phones are awful. It is a mess of different software versions and hardware made by different companies. Apple makes the whole device; software and hardware. Android will never be that and will always have this fragmentation. People will have their preferences, but I have yet to see an Android that didn’t look like a poor-man’s knock-off iPhone. Sorry. From day one, Android has been imitating iOS and doing so poorly. Sure they try to hide this by throwing in as many half baked features as they can dream up, but this doesn’t make for a quality product. Again, my opinion. Some people buy that **** and that’s their right.

19. mrochester macrumors 68000

1) Send your feedback to Apple. They may or may not pay any attention to it.

2) We’ve yet to see any sort of decline in iPhone sales. Apple will start to worry if/when iPhone sales start declining. Until then, I guess they will continue with their very successful approach.

20. russelljg macrumors member

This.

The notch is a compromise, other than a few diehards on this forum no one said ‘I’d like to see a notch on the next iPhone’.

21. freepomme Suspended

The bezels on the old iPhones don't count because you have a whole screen.

iPhone X, you don't have a whole screen, you have a screen with a notch.

This is not rocket science, ITS NOOOT

It was a deal breaker. I'm not going to stand for that. Apple is getting more and more wild.

Putting a notch right in front of your face.
    Having a battery pack with a hump.
    Having Airpods that look like tampons. Slowing down their own phones.
    Getting rid of the jack.

This isn't moving forward. Apple has lost their way.

Innovation has turned into complaints.

I've stopped buying Apple products. I have no choice right now. This is where they're headed.

22. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

I needed a good laugh. Thank you.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

At this point it does not matter if you like the notch or not, it is here to stay!

Deal with it or move on to Android.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

You may be right with exception to the Google Pixel devices.

I’m an iPhone user at the end of the day because I prefer it. User preferences differ and many have the same opinions as us against the iPhone but prefer Android.

25. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Exception being the Pixel line as Real Deal stated. I'm running Android 8.1 and Feb security update. It is as smooth as my iPhone X, sometimes smoother.

One can also argue the iPhone X has half-baked features. Face ID is not perfected yet, say what you will, it is still in beta form. It can't distinguish Asian twins (happened to my girlfriend's friend's twins 2 weeks ago, was entertaining). It can't ID you from a horizontal position. And it doesn't automatically take you to the home screen, you have to swipe.

The notch by itself is proof that the X is half baked. Apple hasn't found a way yet to pack all that power into a bezel without interfering with screen real estate. You can bet that come 2019, the notch will either be gone or drastically reduced. Likely the latter, given it is Apple.

CarPlay is also half baked. Maps is a beta as well, horrible compared to Google Maps. It hasn't worked in my car since the first iOS update after 11.0. This is what caused me to try a Pixel 2 in the first place.

Apple's OLED is half baked. It can't show notifications without waking the entire screen. Notifications in general are a joke compared to Android. There's no "always on" display like Android has done for several years. Basically they haven't done a single optimization for OLED, it is treated the same way as an LCD screen on the iPhone 8.

Living wallpapers are half baked. Whoopee, I can press on my phone screen and the image moves for 3 seconds! The Pixel's living wallpapers are great.

Again, I own the X and Pixel 2, and am having a blast with them both. Love dissecting both with people in a constructive manner over my morning coffee. As of now the Pixel 2 XL is a notch above the iPhone X.