Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I ordered mine about 1:30 pdt. At 6:30 I received confirmation and it's prepared for shipment. Not sure if any machines are going out... It's already 8. Maybe one super shipment.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Because you want the customer's money ASAP. You don't want to inconvience them. And hell, if they don't redeem it, good for the company.

What I was trying to say is, just because it's all Apple product's, doesn't mean that they can talk to each other. I don't think the iTunes developers would let the Apple store tell it to credit an account. ALSO, what if I had my mom buy it for me? I still have my own Apple account, but then she would get the $100. And that would have been the case if I was under eighteen, just a few months ago.

Again your lossing me. You said "because you want the customers money ASAP." I buy online, Apple charges my credit card, they ship me the gift card, or I buy online, Apple charges my credit card and credits the gift card to my acount. Either way Apple charges my card when the sale is made. Regardless of how Apple geta me the gift card they have already charged me for it, but in the shipping it scenario lost a small bit of that sale to cover the shipping cost.

OK, I'll conceded that for the four or five users out there that need to have their mommy buy their computers for them this would be a problem, but an easily solved one. Give the buyer the option of getting a physical card, or getting an electronic credit. Apple is moving towards an online only, or at least an online focused distribution system. They have to ship hardware since it is by definition physical. The gift card, much like software or music, does not need to be distributed physically. To take it a bit further its already possible to gift apps, so even when mommy's the one with the credit card it should still be possible to credit the gift card to your account electronically. You do trust mommy, dont you?

As for the inconvenience, how is having the gift card credited to your account any less convenient that waiting for FedEx to deliver it? If your talking about inconvenience durring the ordering process I doubt that anyone who is savy enough to order a MBA online will be hardpressed to check a box that credits the $100 to their acount rather than having it shipped to them.

The argument about not redeeming it being good for he company is flawed on two counts. First, there's no difference between not using the online credit and not using the credit on a physical card. Second, not using the credit actualy hurts Apple because from an accounting perspective the $100 has already been credited to the customer. This leaves the unused ballance hanging in their books, which is why many companies put a limit on how long a gift card ( electronic or physical) is valid for.

Last edited:

TheEmpty

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
NYC
Again your lossing me. You said "because you want the customers money ASAP." I buy online, Apple charges my credit card, they ship me the gift card, or I buy online, Apple charges my credit card and credits the gift card to my acount. Either way Apple charges my card when the sale is made. Regardless of how Apple geta me the gift card they have already charged me for it, but in the shipping it scenario lost a small bit of that sale to cover the shipping cost.

As senior web developer I deal with a lot of "A/B testing" which is really, what is really: "what is the most effective way to get the user to do this?". And there are many sites that I have not ordered from because I needed to create an account. It's just too much of a hassle for me. Then I have to unsubscribe from their lists (if they don't ask), etc. It leaves less room for the user to go "Ugh, this is too hard, forget it" which many older people would do, which is also a growing demographic of Apple users. Things inside of corp. coding are... like politics some times ;) I'm afraid of getting downvoted so I'll probably go quite now ;)

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Mine finally switched to prepared for shipment. Hoping it will be here tomorrow now - paid for the next biz day delivery.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
Despite my better judgment (waiting for more reviews) I've just ordered myself one... *sigh* When you check this site every day for three months waiting for news of a new product you don't have much choice.... You see it there and you have to buy it!!!

I know i'm not going to be disappointed, but there goes all my moneys. ;)

Same day shipping is a steal :)

Last edited:

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
went to the reno apple store to buy a 13 inch and was told that "we aren't putting those out right now" ..... asked when they were going to put them out for sale and was told " we don't know " ... its this kind of "head-swelling" and errogance that I personally don't like.... guess I will wait or order online...wish they were nicer and had some on display.... guess when your stock goes to $400 you can be an ***** and get away with it ???

Billy Mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Short time lurker, first time poster. Took the plunge on the 13 " i5 256 GB SSD. My first Apple. Sprang for the one day shipping, hope to have it by Friday. Can't wait!

dpg256

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I bought old macbook air three weeks ago...

...had no idea this new one was coming out. dammit. is there any way i can trade up? under warranty? bueller? apple's gotta let me know that kind of thing as i'm shelling out $1300.:mad:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Apple never announces any new products or makes word of them until they announce/release them.

jbolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Apple never announces products until they announce them?

Last edited:

vnr111

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Anyone know what setups of the 11 inch they are going to have in the Apple store tomorrow? I'm camped out for in the middle of Detroit and there are alot of thugs around my tent and am debating if it's worth it. I want the 11'' 256gb.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Not sure if this counts but...

I set up an appointment for 7:30 tomorrow at my LAS, plan on buying a base 13 and then having them help me transfer some stuff (iphone stuff). Also will be picking up some basic periphs and accessories to help the cross over.

Strobe

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Anyone know what setups of the 11 inch they are going to have in the Apple store tomorrow? I'm camped out for in the middle of Detroit and there are alot of thugs around my tent and am debating if it's worth it. I want the 11'' 256gb.

Camping out?! Holy ****. Didn't think this update was camp worthy lol. Glad I ordered the overnight for 16 bucks haha. Don't need to get my 1600 mba stolen from me on the way out.

That said, mine is still prepared for shipping and 1AM EST already. Considering west coast time being so late, I fear it won't make it to me tomorrow. Most likely will ship tomorrow though to meet their 7/22 deadline.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
...had no idea this new one was coming out. dammit. is there any way i can trade up? under warranty? bueller? apple's gotta let me know that kind of thing as i'm shelling out $1300.:mad:

When did you buy

I agree that it is unlikely I will see mine before Friday. 10pm and still prepared. Unlikely!

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Well almost 1:30 and no tracking number. I'm guessing I won't get mine until Friday. Hope that isnt the case tho.

Adgeman

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2005

Someone in another thread said he bought JUNE 14th so he called apple and he's able to replace it with a new one. Don't know who he called.

Metzgermeister

macrumors member
May 27, 2007

First pray for steve's mercy... Then contact Apple and ask for the possibilities, offer to pay restocking fee (believe me, it's worth the $$$) Maybe they will be willing to offer a deal.

Yet another wise lesson learned: before buying apple hardware first check the buyers guide on this site!!!

Samwise13

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
ordered a 13in i7 at 9am. Coming next tuesday. Hard to wait as the i5 could've come tomorrow!why no one day shipping on bto? :confused:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

lol. duuuuuuuuude. this has been all over the internet since last spring. you gotta do your due diligence.

look at it this way: you've still got a great computer, and you got about a month of usage out of it, so i don't see it as anything to lose sleep over. you could always sell it if it's gnawing at your insides. you won't lose a terribly large amount of money.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Woke up this morning and no change, it hasn't shipped. I will be cancelling as soon as the online store opens today.

Ticks me off that it took 11 hours to acknowledge my order when I placed it earlier than others that already have ship notifications.

Guess I will be making the 2 hour drive to the apple store today so I have it for the trip tomorrow.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009

Loser

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
My credit card has declined the order and I'm now waiting for Apple to get the payment before it will ship!:mad:

snabela86

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
My Air just arrived! 22 hours after I ordered. TNT didn't call me before but I'm free from work so I was home anyway.

Now I have some unpacking to do! Tjohoo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.