Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If I had verizon unlimited and paid for my phone outright (not bad if you travel a lot, because it has those europe lte bands and it comes unlocked) I'd tear through data on that puppy.

And tether a lot to an iPad.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
All carriers have pros and cons.

AT&T wins on voice & data, Verizon on coverage and Sprint on plan price.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
(Puts on and zips up flame suit)

I am in the extreme minority on this, sorry, but I don't mind at all that ATT limits Face Time over cellular. How they are pricing it / forcing certain plans I do NOT like, however. The number of people doing "non smart" things with their smart phones is insane. It's the reason why data prices are going up and why people can't even check an email in certain cities during peak hours. I get that we all pay for data and should be able to use it as we please. But there have to be some limits, in my opinion. I know everyone disagrees and that is fine, to each his own.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
If I had verizon unlimited and paid for my phone outright (not bad if you travel a lot, because it has those europe lte bands and it comes unlocked) I'd tear through data on that puppy.

And tether a lot to an iPad.

Does Verizon still offering unlimited data when they got on board with iPhone? If yes, I wish I made the switch at that time. Oh we'll, never thought I'll ever go back again to CDMA that time as I travel a lot internationally.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Verizon is not your friend.

They ONLY give you facetime/tethering because of a condition of their 700MHz spectrum auction win.

Also be aware that Verizon is more than happy to take spectrum off the cable companies's hands, in exchange for agreeing not to compete with them in markets where they don't already. FiOS is one of the fastest and probably best data/voice/video services for the home, and it's also quite profitable, yet Verizon is not building it out any further, leaving cable companies to keep prices high in non-FiOS areas.

Why? Because Verizon will make more money this way in the long term. While there's money to be made in fast, uncapped fiber-to-the-home, there's much more to be made in selling people capped wireless voice and data services that charge much higher prices for on a per-gigabyte basis. At the same time, the cable companies hand over much needed spectrum to Verizon at a low cost, while at the same time eliminating the specter of those companies entering the wireless market and competing there.

It's a "win-win." Just not for you.

Don't ever think for a second that anyone at these wireless carriers "cares" about their customers. What they care about is getting paid on a monthly basis. That is what they act on.

Likewise, you should act based on what carrier gives you the best service for your money. Nothing else.

Neither AT&T nor Verizon are evil; the aren't people.

No, but they are run by people, who are also motivated by their paychecks and how big their bonuses are. Their decisions on company policies and practices are governed accordingly.

I wouldn't go so far as to call that evil, but no one should delude themselves into thinking that they make any decision purely out of the goodness of their hearts.

By the way: that also goes for Apple, Samsung, and just about any other company. Even when Steve was alive.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Will never happen.

I agree but just a large number of people on a holiday like Christmas could have an effect. Regardless AT&T is discouraging and will continue to do so as they know it could take them down.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
But you have to pay for it by not getting discounted price for upgrades. Not sure why people pretend VZ is giving them some bonus.

Actually, if you break down the math, if you use about 5+ Gb a month, you save more money paying for the ridiculous subsidy on an annual basis (that is, if you MUST upgrade annually :rolleyes:) and using the unlimited and unthrottled Verizon plan.

CDMA is not sucky....they just stopped updating it in favor of migrating to LTE.

I agree. It's actually more reliable for call quality and latency. Granted, overall speeds are a little slower than GSM.

Tick tock ... Testing iP5 Verizon using AT&T nano SIM card ...

But not on LTE.

Verizon is not your friend.

They ONLY give you facetime/tethering because of a condition of their 700MHz spectrum auction win.

True, but the fact is that they still do it. They can't throttle either.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
(Puts on and zips up flame suit)

I am in the extreme minority on this, sorry, but I don't mind at all that ATT limits Face Time over cellular. How they are pricing it / forcing certain plans I do NOT like, however. The number of people doing "non smart" things with their smart phones is insane. It's the reason why data prices are going up and why people can't even check an email in certain cities during peak hours. I get that we all pay for data and should be able to use it as we please. But there have to be some limits, in my opinion. I know everyone disagrees and that is fine, to each his own.

I don't mind no FaceTime over cellular too. When I had jailbroken iPhones I never used FaceTime over 3G app.

We have 4 grandfathered unlimited lines and are very happy with AT&T. AT&T works well in the Philly metro area. When we were in NYC LTE was pretty good and so was voice.

The only thing that I don't like is throttling. We never been throttled even though 3/4 lines uses 4+GB/month.

Last edited:

beowulfPKR

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
In my house & workplace At&t has great signals which is the biggest factor for me. At&t also gives more options to save more money on corporate discounts and family plans compared to Verizon. With Verizon you will pay more and usually have better coverage in rural areas. Recently At&t customer service has been fantastic for me. Verizon is great if you don't mind paying through the nose to get access to their network imo.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
The coverage issue is always going to vary by consumer. I switched to verizon and gave up a grandfathered unlimited plan on ATT in the process and have no regrets. My VZW signal is consistently stronger and more reliable than my ATT one ever was (and I keep my phone in field test mode, so I've seen the actual attenuation on ATT vs VZW where I live and work). This is the first time in a while I've gone more than 10 days without having to reset network settings, and it's great.

Sure am missing simultaneous voice and data though...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I still have a 4S so it's not a big deal but I don't like how the 5 can't do data an voice at the same time on Verizon's network even with LTE. Will this always be a problem even when Verizon's network is 100% LTE?

I use data + voice MUCH more then FaceTime over cellular.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
HSPA+, faster 3G, faster LTE. Plus voice and data. But a pro of verizon is signal almost everywhere, facetime over celluar, and the comfort of knowing the company actually cares about what consumers want most of the time. Making everything a shared data plan was kind of stupid but it was also stupid of at&t to make it so facetime over celluar you had to be moved to the same plan.

Not faster 3G....faster LTE is really based on your location...in most of LA verizon is faster, I can't think of the last time I was on the phone and cared so little about the conversation that I needed to surf the internet too.....Verizon is all pros. Better service, better reception....better everything.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
They're both evil. In different ways. That's why I go based on features I need, not whether I think they're being mean to me. Because all of them will in the end

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
When I was AT&T my data speeds were slow, my calls did drop quite a few times, sometimes I didn't get texts at all and my signal kept fluctuating from 2 bars for 4 bars at home. On verizon it is somewhat consistent now, 2-3 bars at home, 4-5 bars outside, 2-3 bars of lte in school. So now if I want to show someone a video I don't have to pray to god that my signal is working. And I travel alot so coverage is really important. I had grandfathered unlimited.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I still have a 4S so it's not a big deal but I don't like how the 5 can't do data an voice at the same time on Verizon's network even with LTE. Will this always be a problem even when Verizon's network is 100% LTE?

I use data + voice MUCH more then FaceTime over cellular.

As I said in an earlier post, this is the result both of Verizon's network and Apple's decision to only use one cellular antenna instead of two (like some other phones have and which therefore allow voice and data on Verizon). Assuming Apple sticks to it's current design, you will need to wait for VoLTE, which is likely quite a ways away.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
But you have to pay for it by not getting discounted price for upgrades. Not sure why people pretend VZ is giving them some bonus.

Tell that to my alternate upgrade on a line without Unlimited. Subsidized price and unlimited/un-throttled/unlimited hotspot. AT&T? No thanks. ;)

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Verizon doesn't throttle you yet AT&T let's you keep subsidized pricing. Which one is the lesser of the 2 evils? And I'm saying that Verizon atleast cares more about the consumer that AT&T does, why else would they spend all this money trying to deploy cell towers and increase reception? I even heard they waived someones upgrade fee on this site.
voice and data isn't really that big of a plus to me, if I need to look something up while I'm on the phone I'll just hang up or I'll probably be near my laptop. It's not a killer feature but its convient for those rare phone calls for me.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Verizon doesn't throttle you yet AT&T let's you keep subsidized pricing. Which one is the lesser of the 2 evils? And I'm saying that Verizon atleast cares more about the consumer that AT&T does, why else would they spend all this money trying to deploy cell towers and increase reception? I even heard they waived someones upgrade fee on this site.
voice and data isn't really that big of a plus to me, if I need to look something up while I'm on the phone I'll just hang up or I'll probably be near my laptop. It's not a killer feature but its convient for those rare phone calls for me.

ATT waived fees for me and anyone I know with iphone5/att. I use to be on Verizon before and I didn't find anything about better care. Same. ATT provides you with cheaper data plans, rollover min, earlier upgrade option, GSM vs dead old CDMA. I could use hotspot to my laptop and browse web and talk over my phone same time. HUGE ADVANTAGE!!! Also I differently feel as ATT advantage is when I travel Europe and my phone works in any country I stopped including data over 3g.
Better signal and no call drops for Verizon? Maybe somewhere in Arizona or Montana but not in NY/NJ/CT area. Same dead spots for any of them.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No voice and simultaneous data makes Verizon useless IMO. Plus AT&T does have a superior 3G network to fall back on when not in an LTE area. They're both sky high on price so if I were going to pay that much for service I would pick AT&T.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Tell that to my alternate upgrade on a line without Unlimited. Subsidized price and unlimited/un-throttled/unlimited hotspot. AT&T? No thanks. ;)

If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines and VZ will be phasing this out as well.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Every carrier has it's down sides. To those saying FaceTime calls would bring carriers to a halt ... I say they need to take the money they are raking in and spend on infastructure! Bandwidth demand will only go up over time.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
You certainly can't expect them to use some of the 94% net profit they are earning and put it back into the business?? That's unamerican!

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines and VZ will be phasing this out as well.

the entire idea of grandfathered means it will stay the same unless i choose to switch over to shared data.

if i cant add a line to my existing grandfathered family plan... then it wouldn't be grandfathered because my original plan i can add lines to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.