I returned my iPhone 3G!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruce916, Jul 27, 2008.

1. bruce916 macrumors newbie

After almost two full weeks of the battery dying by 2p, echo on the bluetooth, hating the way I call my contacts, I am back to my crackberry! Don't get me wrong the iPhone is a wonderful phone for regular people who aren't on the phone a lot or send a lot of emails. But for power users: stick to the crackberry.

Things I liked about the iPhone:

Appstore
    Urbanspoon
    Google search
    ICE
    Dial Zero
    The way email looked
    The way attachments looked
    AT&T customer service

Things I hated about the iPhone:
    Battery
    I turned off wifi set email to fetch
    Left 3G on to download email attachments
    Still dead by 2p every day. Ever been in a meeting and have to plug in your phone because there's less than 10% battery remaining. Annoying + Out the window goes the cool factor if you're attached to the nearest power port.

Echo - How can a product be released with this flaw?
    I live in California, so I had no choice. Apple store told be to un-pair and
    re-pair the phone.

Dialing contacts
    Touch here - Touch there - Touch here. Flick finger. Go back because I skipped it. Blackberry: Just start typing a name from the home screen!

Voicemail: Speaker is horrible! I got pulled over for trying to listen to my voicemail. Had to show the CHP what I was doing and that the phone is hooked up through the bluetooth.

Apple customer service: Went to return the phone to the apple store and was told I would lose my AT&T account and phone number! I've had Pacbell/Cingular/AT&T & the phone number for 10+ years. AT&T was quick to squash that information.

Apple customer service: Was told I would not get a refund on the $45.00+ I spent at the app store the morning I purchased the iPhone.

That is the short list of my rants. I could go on, but I'm done typing.

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Oh well see ya! hopefully you will feel like an a$* when apple releases 2.1 and it fixes all those issues!

3. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

2 Weeks? Well done mate. You've wasted so much of your time getting your old phone back.

I think it would take anyone more then 2 weeks to get used to a new phone.

4. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Eh you just did what you had to do to make yourself happy. Not like you can't get another iphone later if you want. I am going to get one as soon as I can. But since I have not apple store I have to wait till ATT has them in stock so I am sure 2.1 will probably be out by the time I ever get one.

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Who cares!

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, 2.1 Firmware addresses most, if not all those issues (not sure about the CS issue). Oh well, you know you are welcome to come back to MR and listen to the rest of us GLOAT!!! :p

7. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

interesting...did you ever shut-off location services (I got this great tip from another thread)? that would have helped immensely with the battery issue...I had the same issue in the beginning, I shut the service off and the iphone battery issue was gone...the iphone is not perfect, but it's way better than the crackberry, c'mon!!!:D

And the way Apple treated you seems weird, if you returned it in 2 weeks, that means you had the 14 day clause, they should have exchanged it for a you, no questions asked

Sounds to me like you had a defective phone and just gave up on it

8. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Well said....... He is probably better off just staying with his blackberry and staying out of Apple Stores! Maybe he should invest in the Zune Phone when it comes out ;)

9. Rigsby macrumors regular

Erm. So you switched off the most power efficient way of connecting and switched on the battery-eating 3G, you do know that's the wrong way around if you are concerned about battery life, don't you?

10. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Why the snarky responses? All of his complaints are legitimate, especially the one about battery life. I don't use my phone too much, and the battery is close to dead at the end of the day. If I relied on my phone for my living, I'd probably go a different way as well.

Also, he gave pros and cons, he didn't just bash the thing.

As to who cares, others in his situation might like to know there's a battery-life issue, or other concerns.

Do the iPhone forums seem a little immature compared to the rest of MR, or is it just me?

11. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Just you... if he wanted to have a legitimate complaint he would not have named his thread "I RETURNED MY IPHONE 3G !!!!!" it would have been iPhone 3G concerns? or Returned my Phone.. you know something more.. whats the word mature!

12. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Actually, I browsed through the other threads in the iPhone section, and it seems to be just this thread... it must have been the four exclamation points in the title... carry on.

;)

13. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

I use my phone all day and have no problems what so ever with battery

14. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Me neither. I use my iphone very much throughout the day and the battery easily lasts 3-4 days without charging.

To topic-starter: Sometimes you get a defective device. It happens. Did you try to have it exchanged or did you just assume that everyone was feeling ok about those same issues and that it was how the iphone was made?

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Sorry to hear about your tumultuous adaptation. People flooded the interweb when the iPhone had 2.5G data in a 3G-era. Apple obliged, now we're not hearing a positive word from the earlier naysayers; we get 'battery this, battery that.'

I agree with others that you should have given things more time. Perhaps you could have learned to use the 3G more wisely. The wonderful thing about the iPhone is radical changes can happen with a FREE firmware update. Us first-generation adopters learned to ride those waves. For me, they've paid-off immensely :)

16. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

What information do you have the 2.1 firmware addresses his main concern of battery life?

p.s. I found the OP's post informative and prospective enterprise customers will too.

17. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

thanks for letting us know??
    i don't see why anyone would care that you returned yours?

18. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

with those issues I would have returned mine as well. I'm keeping mine till the xperia phone or android phones come out. Assuming they are any good, I already find the xperia spec to be unbeatable.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We are on MacRumors.com. It has been suggested that a more intelligent 2.5/3G software solution could be in the works. Where it would auto-switch to the optimum data connection.

20. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Some people are too nasty, if he's not happy with the iPhone he's as allowed to complain about it as we to sing its praises.

21. aosman macrumors 6502

I am sorry the iPhone did not suit your needs. I had a bunch of blackberry phones, but I am very happy with my iPhone. As for battery life, I am a power user (eg. surfing the web/emailing/ect) while I do everything, and it lasts me the entire day and then some.

Oh well; iPhone still has many flaws. I hope Apple fixes them in the upcoming OS updates.

22. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

What a bunch of pissy fangirls. If the iPhone doesn't suit the guy and he took it back who cares. He did the right thing in his mind.

23. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

24. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha bruce916,

People like you should never consider the iPhone, because it sounds as if you're simply attempting to make the iPhone a "cool" crackberry. For example, you rant about battery life, but turn off WiFi and use 3G to download email updates. Anyone that's been anywhere on the 'net since the iPhone's release will KNOW that 3G is still much more of a battery hog than WiFi - constantly using 3G will run your battery down far faster than using WiFi. You did set your email to fetch, but failed to note your fetch interval. Did you set it to every 15 minutes?

As for Bluetooth echo, I've never had that issue, either with my 1st gen iPhone or my iPhone 3G - I have the Apple Bluetooth headset myself. Maybe you should replace your Bluetooth headset before starting a rant against Apple.

You actually complained about Contacts dialing? Did you fail to notice the Contacts icon on your Home Screen? That app provides for contact search, but perhaps, in your haste to blast Apple for your own failure to actually learn how to use your iPhone 3G (which is extremely simply, BTW), you simply overlooked the Contacts app, on the Home Screen.

You also complained about the speaker volume in your new iPhone. While the speaker volume in this version is a lot better than in the 1st gen iPhone, ambient noise, especially when driving, would probably be enough to negate the increased volume. You also probably have better things to do while driving than listening to your voicemail though, right? That being said, I'm quite satisfied with my speaker volume. With respect to to Bluetooth, you have somewhat of a point here - Apple should provide for output through at least their own Bluetooth headset.

In conclusion, please don't come on these boards with such non-sensical arguments your Crackberry against the iPhone without first even attempting to determine the basic operating differences between the two phones, or even the basic operating specifications of the iPhone 3G. You've been trying to force a square peg (iPhone 3G) into a round hole (your unfounded expectations of how the iPhone 3G should operate), then getting frustrated when not everything you envision goes actually as you desire.

Guess what? Nothing works like that. The two phone are different, and the user has to learn those differences. Just like when I switched from the PC to the Mac, I had to adjust some of my workflows as the two platforms are different. You can NOT expect the iPhone to perform like your Crackberry and ranting about your failure to make it so serves only as an argument to justify your flawed decision, to return your iPhone 3G, to yourself.

Yes, the iPhone 3G has its flaws, but your have to learn how to deal with both its features and its flaws, just like any other device. No, it won't perform exactly like your Crackberry - some things are done better, while other things are either done differently or have yet to be implemented, such as copy/cut and paste. If you can't adopt your workflow around, or fail to properly research, your new cell phone, why go to a forum dedicated to it and expose your ignorance?

HawaiiMacAddict

25. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Crackberry? That is sooooo Y2K.
    HMA: This continues to surprise me. The general rule of thumb I've always read is that the faster the data connection, the greater the drain on the battery. This comports with my experience on other 3G devices, which seem to drain more quickly when surfing, streaming, etc. over wifi.

That said, it's hard to argue with the iPhone-specific data and experience of others...