I think I made a big mistake with white

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerbook911, Mar 11, 2011.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I Was very excited that I managed to get a 64 GB white iPad Verizon tonight!

However, immediately the white bothered me. I just doesn't look right. I guesss the black really makes other things you see on screen look better. Furthermore, when it is turned off, it looks even worse I think.

What should I do ? It was so much money. Verizon data works great. It is almost perfect, if not for the white.

I'm considering putting it on eBay an offering free fedex shipping. Of course, I will then have to wait until more are in stock, and I will lose money on it.

Anyone else hate the white?

2. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

this is why i dont have an ipad 2, cause all the stores were suckering me to buy the 64gb white..... when i watch movies in the dark that shiny white bezel is going to screw up the experience

3. slicecom macrumors 68020

4. JayInNJ macrumors regular

Can't you return it?

5. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

why not just return it for all your money back?

6. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well they did me a huge favor to get me one. It was from Verizon store, so restocking fee would be $70 too.

7. foodle macrumors 6502

How about using it for a few days and seeing if white grows on you...

8. foodle macrumors 6502

You realize that the stores don't have mind control powers over you, right? They can't make you do anything. If you don't want 64GB, don't buy it.

9. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

It's funny to see such a difference in opinion regarding the white. After picking up a white one today, I couldn't imagine going back to black. I think the white just looks slick.

Yet other people simply despise it. I am sure you could sell it for a profit, or simply return it if you'd rather not deal with that.

10. iserian macrumors 6502

Yep. Give it a few days to see how you feel. I too am not sure about the whitties I acquired this evening. I don't watch movies on the pad and actually don't surf because I got sick of the checkerboard so perhaps white will work out.

11. jason1790 macrumors member

I love my white one. I can't tell too big of a difference. Maybe you just think it doesn't look right because of what everyone else has posted about the black one?

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Didn't apple get rid of the restock fee?

My first reaction was white looked odd when I unpackaged...but I think it's nice now..took a bit after so many black devices.

Oh..and turn the brightness up

13. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree...just give it some time. I think white looks sweet. White and silver is a great combo. But if yiu decide to re-sell it, use craigslist and get cash. Ebay has a lot of fraud.

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

well that almost happened to me, and I was actually just sitting here thinking maybe I would have rather had white, so thanks for this.

what did happen to me was after waiting for hours outside the apple store on west 67 street in NYC, they were out of black 64 att 3g's, and my only option was a white one so I was going to take that. The apple guy told me I had 2 weeks to exchange it for a black one, no restocking fee.

They ended upfinding one, he said he had to wrestle it away from one of his co-workers, but now I'm thinking maybe they are running short of black and are told to push the white by initially saying they have only white. I wouldnt put it past them.

So it would seem to me that Verizon would and should have the same policy as Apple. If they do not I would complain to the manager at the store, call your credit card company, do whatever you have to.

If apple will take it back so should any other reseller.

Also, Verizon did you no favors, you did them a favor by purchasing it from them and not some other reseller or an apple store.

15. cyper2002 macrumors newbie

I bought white at walmart so couldn't see it in person. I really wanted white, but I can't describe just how much I hate it. It seems to reflect the color of lighting in a room too, making it look kinda yellow at times, its hideous to me. Also when logging onto this site it randomly rebooted. This is something none of my iOS devices have ever done, so I don't think it like me either. I just ordered a black one online and will return this one and wait.

16. berrylicious macrumors newbie

I feel the same way. Purchased a white one and after I brought it home it just didn't look right to me. Way too distracting in my opinion. When I brought this up at BB that I wasn't sure about the white the apple rep told me just take it don't worry you have 14 days to bring it back if it doesn't work out. Now not sure what to do. Probably going to end up taking it back tomorrow. Ugggh :(

17. advan031 macrumors 6502

I tried the white one in store and I definitely think the black one is better suited for me.

18. cyper2002 macrumors newbie

My white iPad definitely has something wrong with it anyway, hopefully my black one will be defect free when it comes in 2-3 weeks. For some reason the screen goes all crazy and it reboots itself constantly after a couple minutes of use.

19. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm surprised I feel this way because you think of all the great white Apple products of the past: iPod, iMac, iBook. I loved all these. Even Airport Extreme today looks great white.

iPad is just different I guess.

Verizon $70 restocking fee sucks.

20. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

There's a reason you don't see white bezeled TVs.

21. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

As I have never held the new black, I can only compare to my original iPad.

I wonder if some of my disgust is just how it feels and looks different.

When I pick back up my iPad original, it just feels higher quality and more luxurious to me. Odd I know.

Perhaps, it's not the white bothering me, but the change in design until I get used to it?

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

23. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

To each his own, I guess. Maybe I'm biased towards white, because I love white Apple products, and because I never got my white iPhone 4, but the black, in my opinion is hideous compared to the white. However, as soon as the white was announced during the keynote I knew I was getting it, so my opinion is full of bias.

But yeah, if you don't like it, don't try and make it grow on you. Just return it and buy a new one.

24. HORTENSE macrumors newbie

I was driving home with a white one thinking I was lucky enough to even get one. Then I realized I was sold the 32GB when I stood in line all day for a 64GB. I've spent the last 4 hours with it and I am so glad u was able to get a black one at Best Buy when they were already supposed to be sold out on them. With the black, it just floats!

25. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

After reading this thread it now made me rethink my white... Great.