Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legallegend

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I got white as that was the only color in 32GB 3G that came in stock. I hate it and will trade for a black as soon as the store restocks with 3G.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
i don't get it. the white bezel does not distract at all. sure it looks bright white directly under sunlight, how often you use it under that situation? most of the time it'll be indoor and the white actually turns into an off-white light silverish color kind of like the aluminum back cover. there is no distraction at all, i've just finished watching a netflix movie on it and didn't bother me at all. maybe some ppl's visual sense are more sensitive than mine, i don't know.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I love my white 32gb. I can't see how it distracts other people. Black was just too typical and standard, glad a chose this newer design. I think it looks beautiful...

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
My initial reaction to my white iPad was weird. I didn't like it at first.

I now love it. I think it was just me being so used to staring at my black iPad 1 for an entire year.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Proud owner of a 64gb white iPad. I had the original iPad and while black is nice, I'm a bit OCD on fingerprints, which the black shows like crazy.

To me the white looks gorgeous, it's comfortable to read or watch a movie, and the bezel doesn't distract me at all.

My husband got the black one yesterday and I'm already teasing him about the fingerprints.

To each his own. Mine's perfect, no light leak, looks gorgeous, and is SOOOO much faster than my original iPad. For someone who was on the fence about upgrading to this iteration, the second I launched Infinity Blade and saw the speed/graphics performance difference I completely changed my mind.

I ordered a nice Gelaskin last night mostly to cover the aluminum back, but I'm undecided on whether or not I want to apply it to the front and cover up the white bezel. But if you're faced w/a restocking fee you don't want to pay, maybe go the skin route.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I have the white, and am on the fence. I like that it is different than my original, but the white seems to distract. My guess is that it is distracting me because I am OCD, and since I obsessed over which one to get, I keep looking at it, questioning my decision. So in reality, it's only distracting because I keep looking at it wondering. If I had bought the black, it would have been the same problem.

I do not plan on returning it at this point, because this is about the coolest thing on the planet, and the color of the bezel will not change that.

Dav1boy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Hello all new to the forums but not new to apple products. Still have my original iPad and now a 32gig white also. And when comparing the two. The black is more subtle of course and kinda gives u false sense of feeling that the actual screen is larger then it is. Where as the white bezel is very distinct and u cant mistaken the screen size. Almost making it look smaller. It's all in the perception. Definitely for some it'll take getting use to. I for one like the white very much since im transitioning from the old black iPad. The white isn't overbearing and for me, anyway, it helps the eyes focus better on the screen itself because it doesn't blend in too much with black trimming around the LCD itself like around the top where the time and batt are and the sides. :D

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I think the white iPad is purchased for two reasons which are the same as the white iPhone 3G/3GS.

1. To stand out from all the black.

2. Brings back memories of the all white Apple lineup.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Tried using a white one today while in the Apple store. I really want to like white, but to me, when you are viewing a web page, either the page looks washed out next to the white bezel, or the white bezel starts to look yellow next to the white web page. Either way, its very distracting and not a color that I'll be purchasing.

If you have a white and don't like it, just get an iPad skin that wraps the back and front bezel and you are good to go.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
I have a white one and I want to like it but just can't. I think its just because I'm used to my old iPad but regardless I'm selling this one to a friend and will get a black one instead.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If you have a white and don't like it, just get an iPad skin that wraps the back and front bezel and you are good to go.

I have the white and really love it. I think it gives the device nice clean lines that I find distinctive. And perhaps being used to reading reports on white paper, I don't find the white distracting at all. As far as watching movies on it, since it's not backlit, it's simply dark like the rest of the room.

But actually, it's a completely subjective choice, and if you don't like the white, you should return it for the black. You have 14 days without a restocking fee if you got it from Apple.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008

For God's sake do not do that. Everyone is still in the 14 day return period so just return it if it bothers you.

imutter

macrumors 6502
I ordered the white one for the reason for uniformaty. I saw someone had a white iphone and love it. Now if Apple would make all accessories black then I would have liked black better. But since cables docks etc are white I wanted white. I hated to have the black phone with the white cable and charger.
Now that said, I know 3rd party vedors will have many black accessories but have you ever hooked you phone to one (and not a cheap item) and it went ouch and was gone for good ? So since I bought white I got the blue poly cover and iphone bumper to match. Then at Amazon I went to get a matching sleeve (seems like if I want to carry it in my pocketbook a good idea from what I read). I watch movies in the theater and at my big screen at home so I was not to worried about what some are saying here. I guess when it comes down to it: It is what you like and use the Ipad2 for.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Another completely happy with white vote here. I don't find the bezel distracting at all and I'm definitely not seeing the yellowing or the washing out of web pages that some one mentioned a few posts back. I wonder how many of the "there is a reason TV's don't have white borders" have their tv sitting in front of a white wall. The poster who replied about there not being any white computer monitors may be too young to remember CRT's, but there was a time when 98% of the monitors available were somewhere between white and beige.

To the OP it sounds like you had your heart set on black but settled for white and now your having regrets. Somehow I don't see white growing on you. Return it or sell it, and man up over loosing some cash in the process. If you know black will make you happy then you need to make that happen.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
this is why i dont have an ipad 2, cause all the stores were suckering me to buy the 64gb white..... when i watch movies in the dark that shiny white bezel is going to screw up the experience

This is just ridiculous and incredibly uneducated. Do you have an iPad 2 in white? No. So how the hell can you say the shiny white bezel screws up your movie watching experience??

I am typing this right now from my white ipad, in the dark, and ALL I CAN SEE IS THE SCREEN. You do know the white bezel isn't BACKLIT right?? It doesn't GLOW. It's not bioluminescent or incandescent for crying out loud.

Seriously, just because you personally PREFER the color black doesn't mean the white is somehow defective! What is the point in bashing the other color if you yourself are not going to buy it?? It's so childish and immature.

And for the record, how many ****ing times a day are you in the dark watching movies????
Seriously.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Well they did me a huge favor to get me one. It was from Verizon store, so restocking fee would be $70 too.

Given the HUGE shortage on these bad boys I think it's fair to charge a small restocking fee when there isn't anything wrong with the device.

Given the shortage, you might be able to get a premium sale on your ipad.

cheers
JohnG

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Tried using a white one today while in the Apple store. I really want to like white, but to me, when you are viewing a web page, either the page looks washed out next to the white bezel, or the white bezel starts to look yellow next to the white web page. Either way, its very distracting and not a color that I'll be purchasing.

Do you feel the same way when using a MacBook?? Hmmmm....so strange that all these other white-rimmed screens don't inspire these made up "yellowing" "washed out" delusions.

psychosomatic anyone?

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Do you feel the same way when using a MacBook?? Hmmmm....so strange that all these other white-rimmed screens don't inspire these made up "yellowing" "washed out" delusions.

psychosomatic anyone?

There is actualy a phobia or fear of the color white. It's called Leukophobia and may be the result of long hospital stays at a young age.

http://www.leukophobia.com/

eperciva

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I am typing on my white iPad 2 right now and honestly couldn't be happier with my choice. I don't find the white distracting in the least, and it definitely doesn't show fingerprints anywhere near like what the black did. I have done all the normal playing around online and with various light apps, as well as watching a tv show in the dark and reading 35 pages of pdfs for work and have not once regretted my decision.

Absolutely no backlight bleeding issues either, I know I read somewhere that people were starting to say that the white is more prone to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.