If not October, what will you do ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, Oct 11, 2012.

  1. Jay9495 macrumors regular

    Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    If the new iMac is not released in October what will you do ? Buy a 2011 model ? Go windows. ? Or keep waiting ?
    I have come to a sudden realization that if it's not released in October i don't believe there will be a 2012 iMac, so if it is not released i will be spending my 2.5k on a nice brand new canon 5D Mk 2 and save for it next year.
  2. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2012
    Imola (BO) - Italy
    I really don't know ... I'll be very sad indeed, but still don't know : I'll prolly wait for something that will make me want to spend my money (nothing portable anyways) and if Apple comes out with that something, it better be really super magnificent !
  3. smashbob macrumors newbie

    Oct 9, 2012
    Ill probably buy another AIO. At the Moment i prefer the XPS One 27 from Dell.

    Only + for waiting on Apples AIO is that it has the GPU with most power and is in that point upgradeable, that you will be able to get GPUs running via Thunderbolt.

    But at the moment i am straight going to Dell. There aren't any other AIO Alternatives that look good and have a mid range upto high range GPU.
    What alternatives do Apples iMac do you know?
  4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Oct 14, 2011
    I've come to the conclusion if no updates are brought out this month, don't expect any updates until Haswell in spring/summer 2013.
  5. xgman macrumors 601


    Aug 6, 2007
    I don't really know either. I tried the macbook pro route already and didn't like the results. Only the most diehard Apple fanboys don't see the writing on the wall. Apple has turned it's back on us. It's basically over. Even though I do still expect some sort of update, this long wait between updates and pro apps etc, will likely get longer and eventually end altogether. I'm still pretty certain that there will be a new imac soon, but the road to it is extremely long and bumpy. So for continue to wait. Windows is the very, very last resort for me.
  6. HoopjeEllende macrumors newbie

    Jun 13, 2012
    I am going to buy a mac mini. When there are no mac's in october, there will be no macs in 2012.
  7. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

    Feb 28, 2012
    I'll continue wanting until that want becomes a need. In which case, I'll probably go for a refurb iMac or perhaps think about mini and large screen. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade on my current model and I'm going to stick with Mac. I get enough Windows on my work machine.
  8. Razorhog macrumors 65816


    Sep 16, 2006
    I'll keep waiting. If they for some crazy reason announce that there will never be another iMac, I'll go Windows.
  9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000


    Feb 11, 2009
    I'll wait until mid November then ill either buy the old iMac with a sour face or ill buy a windows save a lot of money an show apple the long finger for good... Not sure yet.
  10. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000


    May 17, 2012
    Already did it back in May. I didn't buy into the rumors then and I don't buy into them now, such as they are. I think 2013 will be a great year for Apple desktop computers however. As for me, the one I got will do what I want very nicely for years, so I'm fine with my decision. I'm glad I didn't wait.


    This year's iMacs, even if they did launch a whole year ago, are really nice computers. Don't go windows over it. You'd just be hurting yourself in my opinion. The Mac with OS X is just so much better, including the ones you can buy right now.
  11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000


    Feb 11, 2009
    I guess you are right. Just wish I did that half a year ago. I know, windows sucks.... There's nothing arguing that. I work on it every day and hate every second of it. It's strange how such a bad OS has become mainstream.
  12. HurryKayne, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    Keep waiting.

    I have a strong dislike for Windows. I don't need a laptop and don't want to pay a premium for reduced power and smaller screen. I don't want the iMac that I decided I didn't need last year. Until Apple releases a desktop that I'm interested in, nobody gets my money.
  14. mrchrispy macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2012
    been waiting over 6 months now. i refuse to buy last years hardware.
    I'm going to build a shuttle sz77g5 and get a decent monitor, least I can upgrade it
  15. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    I am going back to Windows and building a Mini ITX gaming rig if there is no good news by October 30th.
  16. Razeus macrumors 603

    Jul 11, 2008
    My mid-2010 still works so I'll keep it going. I have a 3 year Applecare on it, so I'm good until the end of 2013.

    I was planning on every other year upgrades hoping for big jumps in performance, but I guess that plan won't pan out.

    I'm hoping I won't take too huge of a bite when I sell my 2010 for a 2013 if it comes down to that.

    As I've said before, Apple has been telling us their plans all along. We just wasn't paying attention.

    1) They first said they are a mobile company.
    2) Only showing the iPad & iPhone along side their Macbooks. Their trifecta.
    3) Innovations to the design only with Macbooks (think Air's and thiness).
    4) How they've treated "pro" level software (Final Cut disaster, where's a new Aperture?)
    5) The lame spec bump of the Mac Pro.
    6) 1 1/2 years since iMac updated.
    7) Frequent mentions of being in the "post-PC" era.

    The writing is on the wall.
  17. Scrub175 macrumors 6502


    Apr 25, 2012
    Port St Lucie FL
    Wait or
    Mac air and tb or
    Mini and tb or
    Mac Pro c and tb

    Just not sure
  18. LorenK macrumors 6502

    Dec 26, 2007
    Awww, c'mon, let's not be too melodramatic. Ever hear of something called "product cycle"? When Intel makes the changes to their processors, that forces changes to the whole architecture of the machine. I assume that rather than rush those changes, Apple makes sure that the machine is going to work with the existing OS. Rush that and you end up with crappy Wintel boxes. I would much have a machine that works out of the box and will work for several years, rather than replace it or stop using it because of system crashes or hardward incompatabilities.

    I say just be patent, and if you need something right away, you won't do wrong getting a Mac, it's just that the one you get won't be the newest and best, but you'll be sure to get a number of years of good, steady performance from it.
  19. tyche macrumors 6502

    Jul 30, 2010
    I have a 2010 iMac as well and I'm very happy with it still. I got the 3.6GHz i5, upgraded the memory to 16GB over time. Just the other day, I realized just what power and capacity this thing has. Even if a 2012 model appeared, I doubt if would have anything compelling for 95% of buyers that a 2010/2011 model doesn't already offer.

    My car is a 2012 and the 2013 are on the lot now with new features. Doesn't make my 2012 useless and I'm still going to get 5+ years out of it.

    Unless you consider yourself in that 5% elite, just get a 2011 model and be happy.
  20. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

    Aug 17, 2007
    Mountains of N. California
    I'll wait. My early 2009 still works very well for what I do. I believe the new iMac will be revolutionary with something new we haven't seen yet.
    Did I tell you I am an eternal optimist? After 30 years, Apple still surprises me from time to time.
  21. xgman macrumors 601


    Aug 6, 2007
    Product cycle? How do you explain the processors in the Mac Pros? Apple has made a decision to slow the cycle on the desktops, not Intel. And you will go "wrong" if you pay full price for technology this old. I do agree that if you are so inc,lined and can get a low price on a current imac, that can be a good purchase, but not the retail prices the current imacs are selling for.
  22. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601


    May 10, 2010
    Right now I develop a severe love to VMWare ESXi; a free hypervisor; very small and lean. Do bad no OSX runs on it; for that I would need XServe. But my other stuff like pfSense, Ubuntu etc runs well now on that virtual box. Next I will upgrade the CPU to i7 2600 with vt-d support and passthrough the graphic card to Win 8. I'm sure I have to get used to Win 8 as my company will switch.

    My iMac27" 2010 is still the main system; and will remain as such. Also runs Fusion.
    I'm flexible ... And therefore can wait
  23. Shane1905 macrumors regular

    May 21, 2012
    What makes you think either everyone is in the same boat as you or elite? How about I sell you a 2 year old car for the same price as that nice new one? And what about people who aren't upgrading a 2 year old machine, maybe they are upgrading their 5 year old machine and want to get the same lifespan out of a new one, save your judgemental opinions for a forum that isn't full of people wanting the same thing, a fair deal that isnt advertised falsely on their website from apple.
  24. itsLouieV macrumors regular


    Oct 21, 2010
    Kind of happy that there hasn't been a refresh yet. I've had the money quite a few times, but spent it on other things i need. Personally I'm fine with no 2012 upgrade if that means that the 2013 upgrade is going to be well worth the wait, and it does give me some time to save for High spek'd BTO since the last thing i want to do right now is open up a iMac for any kind of HDD swaps.

    If they are taking their time, addressing heat issues, and making a top quality product then I'm find twiddling my thumbs while we wait. If its just going to be a processor bump and nothing new then when they announce it i will be purchasing one on craigslist and waiting for something more then just a processor spec bump.
  25. CrankyMonkey macrumors newbie

    Sep 26, 2012
    I'm going back to a PC.

    My PC died in January and thought that was a good time to migrate to the Mac world. I got a Mini to keep me functional (barely) until a new iMac comes out.

    I like Apple and I like the idea of my iOS devices sharing data with my desktop. But I can't wait any longer. This is for a small business and the Mini isn't powerful enough, USB 3 is needed, and not all software is available on Mac. I think I have to cut my loses and go back to PC. Makes me sad.

Share This Page