Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Keep waiting. When they didn't come out at WWDC, i said screw it and bought more camera gear. My 2009 isn't exactly SLOW, just slower at some tasks. So i'm fine with waiting as long as needed. (Unless my 2009 messed up again - video card went bad back in June)

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I've been waiting all year, though I expected to buy back in May. I've really been hoping to get a new iMac before Thanksgiving, as I need to send my MacBook in for some TLC before my extended warranty expires. I've saved up for the top of the line, with a maxed out processor and graphics card. Whatever they might end up being.

My current desktop is a ten year old iMac, and while the laptops have been replaced every few years, it is time for a new desktop. I'll continue to wait, but I expect the upgrade to be significant since they are delaying so long.

Juzo Fuwa

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Was actually thinking about this yesterday.

If no 2012 iMacs come out by the end of the month (which I'm starting to believe along with some other folks :( ), I'm going to wait until Black Friday to take advantage of whatever sale Apple has going on (hopefully it'll be better than last year's $100 off crapfest) and get a refurbed 2011 iMac. Not a top line one, HELL NO, one of the cheaper ones to use as a stopgap until the new whateveritsgonnabe comes out. The refurb will be replacing a dual 1.42 G4 so it'll kick the G4's ass, plus the cheapness of the purchase won't hurt my pocket too much while I save up for the REAL imac or whatever Apple releases that'll take me through the following four years or so. The only extra loot I'll sink into the refurb will be an extra 4 gigs of ram since most of the ones I saw at Apple's refurb store only had 4 gigs. I'd prefer to not have to do this, I'd rather have the new technologies available in the new machine right outta the box since I don't have option of opening it up and adding video cards/USB 3 cards/etc., but this computer's been on it's last legs for awhile and needs to be replaced :(. Although I'll NEVER go Windoze (I'll go Macbook Pro first), the current iMac product cycle sucks donkey balls :mad:.

Last edited:

Bargle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
The Retina MBP is a good deal. At first I thought it was overpriced compared to MBP Classic, but when you factor in it comes with 2x the RAM and SSD standard, it's worth it relatively speaking. Of course I can get all the same specs with Windows for half the price, but I won't get Retina nor OS X. I don't think I would be ok with a 15" screen for doing photos.

There is no SSD standard. You get a reduced ghz processor for the SSD. To get the same SSD and the same CPU costs...500 more!

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Juzo had a good idea. Apple has the top iMac refurbished for $1870. That is 15% off the new price. If you get the extra $100 or more off on Black Friday, that brings it to about 20% off. Honestly, that is the price these should be new after over a year on the market, but at least it brings the price down.

I will still likely wait, as there have been several other good points about Apple's forced obsolescence and the already outdated specs. I imagine that this machine will be left out of the OSX 10.10 or 10.11 updates. I'll just throw out that one of those will be called PussyCat :p

angus99

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Just noticed Dell UK are offering £300 off the 27" XPS one until 17/10 assume they are selling off stock before the release of the touch version.

This could be quite tempting if no Imac is announced before then. I'd Probably go for the £1199 version and then add an mSata SSD as a boot drive as access looks quite easy.

Spec would be

Ivy Bridge i7-3770s
6GB RAM
2TB HDD
2Gb GT 640m
27" 2560x1440 display

G

goodlittlesquid

I'll just throw out that one of those will be called PussyCat :p

How about Cougar? Of course, they'd have to use a photo of a 45-ish year old lady giving a sultry look (maybe licking lips?) for the logo, since Cougars and Mountain Lions are the same thing.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
If the new iMac is not released in October what will you do ? Buy a 2011 model ? Go windows. ? Or keep waiting ?
I have come to a sudden realization that if it's not released in October i don't believe there will be a 2012 iMac, so if it is not released i will be spending my 2.5k on a nice brand new canon 5D Mk 2 and save for it next year.

Probably buy a refurbished 2011 or build a PC. If I didn't like Mac OSX that much, I would have gotten a PC again already. Apple is a weird company in some regards, but they offer great products, which is the only way they can get away with their secrecy and late updates.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I can't follow the trend and spend the money on a 5D, as we just got our T3i last year! Being our first DSLR, I couldn't convince my wife to go better on the camera. That said, I get my pick for the computer, so here I am waiting for a new iMac.

Oh, and if they were going to do Sabortooth Tiger, it would have been immediately after Tiger, as that is the trend with Leopard and Lion. OSX 10.13 is Kitty Kitty, just saying...

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
If the new iMac is not released in October what will you do ? Buy a 2011 model ? Go windows. ? Or keep waiting ?
I have come to a sudden realization that if it's not released in October i don't believe there will be a 2012 iMac, so if it is not released i will be spending my 2.5k on a nice brand new canon 5D Mk 2 and save for it next year.

Hookers and Blow!!!!!!!

On a more serious note. I think if its this year it will be a refresh and not a New totally redesigned iMac.

nagareru

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Lima, Peru
I will buy a used quad core mac pro, for not much money, upgrade the GPU with a 680 GTX or a quadro 4000 get a couple of SSD. And sell it when the new Mac Pro comes out next year without the 680 and the SSD. Should get a bit more than the half of what i paid for it and still have my SDD drives and GPU.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I gave up waiting and built a hackintosh shortly after ML came out. It's incredibly easy, and $1000 gets you an ivy bridge machine that will blow every apple mac out of the water.

I never minded the apple tax, but I wasn't willing to suffer with old hardware. Now that I've tried a hackintosh I don't see myself ever buying a mac desktop again.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If I can't get an updated iMac by thanksgiving them I am going to get either a Samsung or hp windows 8 ready pc. Samsung is doing some cool stuff with UI and NFC for windows 8. HP has a great iMac rip off coming out.

I want an iMac but the lady and I can't wait forever. I was expecting a new iMac in the summer.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
The bottom spec in uk is £529 ($800) 2 gb £699 ($1100) for reasonable spec 4 gb etc add then the wireless keyboard, track pad and or Magic Mouse for £110 ($180) you are upto £810 ($1300) so for £919 ($1460 incl student discount) I get all the above including screen/monitor

In the US, an entry level Mini costs $599, and an entry level iPad costs $499 (current tech, not iPad 2). That's just $100 more for a fully fledged Mac. The moment you start talking about 'reasonably specced', all bets are off, go dump some kilo pounds on a retina MBP and be done with it.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
If its not out by the end of October with no new rumors of a slightly later launch then I'm going for the RMBP.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I worry about getting my hands on Windows 8 Pro x64 Retail Upgrade then a new iMac in October right now... I have no need for a iMac for a long time. will wait and see if they come out with a Retina Display iMac and will think about it then.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
I must admit the best dell 27" AIO at £1399 with 2tb hd and small SSD bluray drive 2gb graphics 8gb memory etc is starting to look pretty appealing.

Are apple likely to put in a 2tb hdd and small SSD at this price point? Probably not....

There are only 2 things holding me back:

1. It's a dell
2. It's a windows pc...

My wife and I are due a baby in the 2nd november so I will be on paternity leave and need a computer to work from home as my laptop hard drive has gone and the d button has fell off.. Yes you heard me the d button... Gone!

Apple have till baby pops out or I have to buy something else or a rmbp

Still keeping my fingers crossed for October.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
I've been looking at adding another iMac for my business for a few months now.

My current 2011 iMacs are working great, and I would be fine with another refurb. However, my plan was to wait and see what the new iMac would offer. Along with a spec bump, I'm most interested in the rumored anti-glare screen.

Fortunately I found a cure for the iMac glare problem. So, if the new iMac doesn't show up by the end of October, I'll just pick up a refurbished 2011 iMac and convert it like my other iMacs.

Ekuk

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I've been waiting 9 months, i can't wait much longer, i need it for work. Come black friday i'll buy something regardless. Either a 2011 refurb, a 2011 from ebay or a retina macbook pro and thunderbolt display from ebay depending which is better value. I have £2500 which i was going to give to apple, need the big screen, i7, ssd, 16gb ram and large hdd at least 2tb. I still have hope a new one will appear, everywhere i look it's out of stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.