If nothing good comes on the 15th...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fluidedge, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

...I'm going back to Windows.

I'm amazed Apple have not updated the MP for sometime now, they're still using 7 series nVidia cards for gods sake. If there is no big update at MW then i'm off.

I actually can't see any reason to stay with macs for my needs. I run animation software that runs better on XP64 bit, i can run Adobe CS3 and i can play DX10 games on a Quad Core system with a 8800GTX card that costs less than a low end iMac.

I can use Safari and iTunes on Windows.

Leopard is nice, but isn't all that "AMAZING" - What reason is there to stay with Apple? Convince me!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There isn't any reason if you don't care about OSX.

3. Sir Pancakes macrumors member

Sir Pancakes

To the OP. Its obvious you want attention by posting such rubbish, so here it is-

You are loved, and we care about you. You are good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it people like you.

:)

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

If the desire to claim bragging rights about owning the absolute gnarliest hot-rod hardware trumps all other requirements for usability, transparency, stability, security, and let's face it style, then it's a wonder why anyone would choose a Mac Pro running OS X that, in terms of raw benchmarks, is bettered by one of the hundreds of configurable high-end commodity Windows setups; and to be sure XP64 probably was Microsoft's high-water mark before they threw their credibility under the bus with Vista.

But for those of us to whom usability, transparency, stability, security, and style do matter, the seconds or more commonly fractions of seconds we may pay by running CPU-bound apps on a just-shy-of-bleeding-edge processor is well compensated for in an OS that is free of the hassleware, shovelware, spyware, adware, malware, crapware that shadows Windows wherever it goes.

You can liken it to the comparison between one of those modded street-racing import-scene cars (a la Fast and Furious) to something like a '71 Dodge Charger. Sure it may be faster than the Charger, but it doesn't change the fact that in the end it's still a p.o.s. Honda Civic.

That being said, I sympathize with your impatience for an update (particularly the graphics cards), but I don't think it'll happen at MacWorld. The first Mac Pro was revealed at the WWDC in June (more of the Mac Pro's target audience than the consumer-oriented MacWorld) and it's in June when I believe the line will be updated. In the meantime, if you don't care about OS X (or what it gains from being a UNIX flavor), then no, you really don't have any reason not to switch back to Windows.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm guessing you just use your computer for music and the internet. Either that or you are new to Macs. The Mac Pro is a couple weeks behind the newest technology for a processor. The 8-core processor should be MORE than enough to handle the internet and music. They are only maybe a year (give or take a couple months) behind on a graphics card. How could you ever say that you want to go back to Windows because of that?

That's exactly what's going on. He gives it away when he ends the post with "convince me!".

6. timestamp macrumors 6502

You sure are good at making it sound like it isn't so bad.

They are nearly two months behind on the Harpertowns. Also, they could have adopted Clovertowns across the whole line as the prices matched that of the Woodcrests. So in that regard they are a but more than two months behind. Clovertown was released in November of 2006.

In terms of graphics, Apple was behind when they released the Mac Pro. So it is well more than a year.

The current eight-core is a beast, of course. But as has been said many times around here. Why buy a $3500 machine when you can pay $2500 for the same thing when it is released?

7. Sir Pancakes macrumors member

Sir Pancakes

Becuase using Windows gives one the same pleasure as repeatedly beating one's face against a solid metal object.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Macs are not specifically a gaming computer...

9. ideasman69 macrumors member

ideasman69

you've already made up your own mind.. a pc would do you better, get a pc. why would you get a mac when you know that a pc will do exactly what you want.

10. mr.light macrumors 6502

If you have not found your own reason yet then by all means go back to windows. Enjoy.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

*mmmm*

*munch munch munch*

(sound of troll eating)

12. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Is it me, or has anyone else noticed that these people start these treads... AND NEVER REPLY BACK? To me, it's a form of trolling a forum.

And to the OP and all others coming on here to start new flame threads about topics that are already covered, we already have about 10 threads on the first page. Be smart, read first or at least do a search. Otherwise you look like an idiot.

~Crawn

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Windows gives me the same pleasure as scooping my eyes out with a spoon and putting it in a blender.

14. zdobson macrumors 6502

Most companies that have announced Harpertown machines are just now shipping them. Nobody shipped before late December. So even if they don't announce until MWSF, they're only a month behind (if shipping right away).

Whenever someone mentions MWSF being all consumer, AidenShaw always replies...

Originally Posted by AidenShaw
    http://support.apple.com/specs/

MWSF 2006 - MacBook Pro announced
    MWSF 2004 - Xserve G5 and Xserve RAID (SFP) announced
    MWSF 2003 - PowerBook G4 announced
    MWSF 2001 - PowerMac G4 and PowerBook G4 announced
    MWSF 1999 - PowerMac G3 announced

It looks like the pattern is every other year for a Pro announcement - so MWSF 2008 is due!

15. timestamp macrumors 6502

You do realize I am talking about buying the new Mac Pro when it is released right? And that it made no implication of getting a Windows box? And that my reply was in return to someone else? Just making sure.

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Um, no. You couldn't be more wrong. They are WAY behind in the graphics department. Way behind. The midrange x1900xt is FOUR generations behind, not to mention EOL'd, and I hear the Quadro has been EOL'd as well. The 7300?? I won't even comment because that card has no business in that machine.

Apple have always lagged behind in the graphics department, but they can no longer use the PPC excuse. And they can't use cost as an excuse either since they are sitting on $15 billion in cash. And their BTO pricing is archaic at best and an insult to informed consumers everywhere.

17. Sir Pancakes macrumors member

Sir Pancakes

You do realize that you have no ability to ingest sarcasm? :rolleyes:

18. timestamp macrumors 6502

Nope sorry. Sarcasm doesn't save you from the clear misunderstanding of my post. I suppose you don't have the ability to ingest words.

19. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

ladies, ladies, you're both pretty....

20. Sir Pancakes macrumors member

Sir Pancakes

Timestamp, or "Turbo" as your friends call you, please realize that I hold your posts in the highest regard, even if they are completely unintelligible.

Thank you. I am well aware of my jaw dropping beauty.

21. timestamp macrumors 6502

A reply that makes no sense. Hooray!

22. Blogger macrumors 6502

23. bov macrumors 6502

if nothing happens on the 15th, i will have a good, long, laugh. :D

24. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I haven't replied, because i've been sleeping. I didn;t know there was a minimum post requirement I had to reply too.

I'm not trolling - i'm putting forward the blasphemous view that maybe Apple Macs aren't all that and a bag of chips. At least where their hardware is concerned. I've played around with leopard for a couple of weeks and i really like it, i do, but Is it worth having to spend an extra £600 on a system that will run it? (The words hackintosh are springing to mind) maybe thats the answer. Dual booting XP and OS X.

I'll shut up now as i suspect that this thread will be locked for expressing the view that there might be life outside Apple

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

OSX on a generic PC won't bring you nearly as much stability or compatibility as a Mac Pro which is needed for advanced stuff a MP is used for over an iMac...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.