Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
It's true that if you use unlockit.co.nz to use your SIM card from an iPhone. This however violates your user agreement and AT&T reserve the right to cancel you at any time. I got caught once with the original iPad. I'm still grandfathering unlimited data.

But, as mentioned above (you apparently didn't read the entire thread), it's highly likely you can get a new and unregistered SIM for iPad from AT&T (they should give you one for free, just tell them you bought a used 3G iPad without a SIM card) and use it to sign up for a PAID data plan (pre-paid or post-paid, your choice) with AT&T. That would be ENTIRELY legal and AT&T would be glad to have your business.

This is fantastic news!! Just by easily changing the APN, the Verizon LTE iPad can be used on EITHER network! You'll only get LTE on the Verizon network but if you are ever stuck in an area with just Verizon CDMA coverage, for the cost of however much data you need from AT&T, you can switch your Verizon LTE iPad over to AT&T's HSPA+ network (if available in that area, of course) which beats the pants off of CDMA. (CDMA = 1mbps HSPA+ = 4-8mbps).

It's two, two, two networks in one iPad and if done via a new and unregistered AT&T SIM there is zero possibility of complaint from either network.

jsnuff1, THANK YOU for testing it out and for the video!!

Mark

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I am sorry but I fail to understand what is the advantage of doing this?!

Seriously?

Option number 1. ATT LTE iPad

You can only use ATT's Network.
You get EDGE , HSPA Plu (4-8mpbs) speeds or LTE speeds(5-70mpbs). Considering ATT's LTE network is very sparse (only in 15 or so markets), you are limited to having only ATT has your provider

Option number 2. Verizon LTE iPad.
You can get CDMA speeds (around 1mpbs-2mpbs if you are lucky), or LTE (5-70 mpbs). However, if you are in a CDMA only area, you can choose just to buy the ATT data plan and still get HSPA speeds (4-8mbps)

You have 2 real options with Verizon LTE iPad vs. only one option with ATT iPad.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Seriously?

Option number 1. ATT LTE iPad

You can only use ATT's Network.
You get EDGE , HSPA Plu (4-8mpbs) speeds or LTE speeds(5-70mpbs). Considering ATT's LTE network is very sparse (only in 15 or so markets), you are limited to having only ATT has your provider

Option number 2. Verizon LTE iPad.
You can get CDMA speeds (around 1mpbs-2mpbs if you are lucky), or LTE (5-70 mpbs). However, if you are in a CDMA only area, you can choose just to buy the ATT data plan and still get HSPA speeds (4-8mbps)

You have 2 real options with Verizon LTE iPad vs. only one option with ATT iPad.

but will you get AT&T LTE speeds or 3G speeds on the verizon model?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I went to my AT&T store and asked for an iPad SIM and told them I was buying a used one later and they told me they need to see the device and add it to their systems -_-

What do I do? I even asked for Pre-Paid!

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
I went to my AT&T store and asked for an iPad SIM and told them I was buying a used one later and they told me they need to see the device and add it to their systems -_-

Order it online?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

go to another store.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012

Just take the ipad without the box. How will they even know it's a verizon model.

Otherwise just sign up to postpaid data online.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

That's BS. Try another store. I walked into my local store and got one (but the ba5tard5 charged me $15). You can also buy them online through ATT (for $15).

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
AT&T charges $15 for an iPad SIM if you order online. I went to an AT&T store yesterday and told them that I bought two iPads used and that I need 2 SIM cards. The rep first told me that I couldn't leave with a SIM unless it was activated on a plan, but then he checked with his manager, and I ended up leaving with 2 unused SIMs. When my Verizon iPad arrives today, I'll have to confirm that the SIMs work and that the iPad data plans show up.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Please let us know if you're using a sim from your att iPhone in a Verizon iPad and do or do not get a warning from
AT&T.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
So has anyone got HSPA+ data to work? Yes we know we see AT&T, but how about working?

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Verizon supports Sim swapping between devices, so you should be good to go. Too bad your iPhone doesn't have a sim card to swap (yet).

My Verizon iPhone actually DOES have a Sim Card. I watched the Apple Store Rep insert it into my phone.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hm.. Man why can't I just use my iPhone Sim card? I don't have unlimited, they won't care would they?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
You'll need an AT&T iPad provisioned SIM card in order to use AT&T on a Verizon iPad. I listed out the combinations above already. iPhone SIM cards are locked to smartphone data since the iPad can recognize carrier software locks. This was built into iOS. So if you're really paranoid that one provider will blow up, you can subscribe to both carriers :D. Double the pain!. Why would you buy a Verizon iPad if you were going to be on AT&T???

When I insert my AT&T Sim card from my iPad 2 into my Verizon iPad 3 it gives me an error it says that I have AT&T service in the corner but when I go to the account page it says that the device is not compatible or not recognized or something like that.

----------

$15 for a sim? AT&T is such a sucky company.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
When I insert my AT&T Sim card from my iPad 2 into my Verizon iPad 3 it gives me an error it says that I have AT&T service in the corner but when I go to the account page it says that the device is not compatible or not recognized or something like that.
You probably have to change the IMEI and ICCID on your account on the AT&T "iPad" account site. It probably is looking for your iPad 2 to which it is registered. I am unable to access that site probably because it is being swamped. It worked fine yesterday

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Going to that website doesn't work. I tried to register a new iPad SIM card that I just picked up from the AT&T store, and it rejects the IMEI number of the Verizon iPad. The error message was "The device type entered is not supported."

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I am sorry but I fail to understand what is the advantage of doing this?!

People are pretending that if they happen to not be in an Verizon LTE area, they're going to have an AT&T SIM handy and put it in their VZW iPad. Then, they'll pay for another data plan from AT&T to surf the web using AT&T's faster 3G instead of VZW's slower 3G.

99% of the people talking about this will never bother. Few will justify paying $30 for an AT&T plan (on top of their VZW plan) to save a few minutes.

The reality of the situation is Verizon's network will be mostly LTE over the life of the device unless one is in flyover country. AT&T's move to LTE is less of an urgency due to their HSPA+ network providing reasonable speed for a tablet device.

Of course, this also assumes you are far enough away from a WiFi hotspot for this to even be an issue.

Sounds great "on paper", but in practice it isn't worth it.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
People are pretending that if they happen to not be in an Verizon LTE area, they're going to have an AT&T SIM handy and put it in their VZW iPad. Then, they'll pay for another data plan from AT&T to surf the web using AT&T's faster 3G instead of VZW's slower 3G.

99% of the people talking about this will never bother. Few will justify paying $30 for an AT&T plan (on top of their VZW plan) to save a few minutes.

The reality of the situation is Verizon's network will be mostly LTE over the life of the device unless one is in flyover country. AT&T's move to LTE is less of an urgency due to their HSPA+ network providing reasonable speed for a tablet device.

Of course, this also assumes you are far enough away from a WiFi hotspot for this to even be an issue.

Sounds great "on paper", but in practice it isn't worth it.

What? I have a business plan with my ATT iPhone 4s which essentially gives me unlimited data (I don't ever see the bill). If I can pop that sim card into my Verizon iPad to get free data, then I will definitely be doing that every time I need to get online without blazing fast LTE. That would often save me $20 or more because I wouldn't need to pay for a prepaid Verizon data plan.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted

Has anyone confirmed that a post paid AT&T iPad data sim card will work in a Verizon iPad?

I have a blank AT&T micro sim and want to know if this will work before I am out of the rerun policy. I read that AT&T will not be able to recognize the IMEI of the Verizon iPad but I believe there is a way to register a sim card without an attached device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.