iFixit Removes Galaxy Fold Teardown at Samsung's Request

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

Not getting anything confused, I know the difference between the two units. Now let's get to the facts.. No company on the planet is going to release their new "breakthrough" products to a competitor before getting use out of it themselves unless that competitor came up with the idea of folding screens and had Samsung make them which they didn't. No competitor is going to buy brand new tech without knowing it works well. So Samsung will make invent the screen, showcase uses for it (the Fold), and try to get other companies interested.
    If Samsung can make this work well it'll be more business for their Samsung Display unit but first they need to show off how it will work.
    And of course there are small OLED screen makers but it's been proven over and over Samsung makes the best displays so you can buy from any Joe Blow screen maker but will it be quality and can they produce at the capacity of Samsung, No!
    So back to my original comment. Samsung will have to make it work first before this goes to anyone else being they manufacturer the tech.

2. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

That's what I thought originally, be it any material, not just plastic.

I did read that there are some metals that won't fatigue.

I also thought that you couldn't get glass to bend and looks like corning have shown that. - amazing if true and has a small bend radius. But still remain a bit skeptical.

3. timber, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

timber macrumors 6502a

The first examples aren't even appropriate equivalents.
    Having an Galaxy Fold device that was lent to select reviewers and no one else under certain conditions is not the same as a public sport results or (usually heavily camouflaged) cars on public roads.
    Samsung could probably use some sort of restraining order on iFixit but at least they had the common sense of not doing that.
    In case someone got an AirPower prototype it would certainly be against some NDA agreement (or just plain stolen like in the past with iPhones) and I am pretty sure Apple would seek to protect that especially if it showed up around now, in 10 years as some sort of memory lane they would probably just don't care. Even if Apple didn't do anything (probably the smart thing to do as with Samsung) they would certainly have the right to ask or enforce taking down work done on their property without consent.

4. GadgetBen macrumors 65816

GadgetBen

I've always thought that iFixit were one-sided, they constantly berate Apple products and now we know why. They are clearly highly affiliated with a Samsung partner.

5. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

If only the head came thru and the rest of the body disappeared you'd be hailed as the pioneer and everything will be based off your research with changes to the process, you would not be called a failure. Look at Space Travel, Cars, etc. Before there were projects that worked there were projects that failed, then either the originator or people after him/her built off those ideas to refine the project.

6. Sodium Chloride macrumors regular

How long would it take before the web archive article would be taken down too?

7. bluespark macrumors 68000

I'm talking about the teardown specifically, but I take your point. Samsung also no doubt had other considerations in mind, such as what would come up in an internet search when the new-and-improved Fold is released. It's very possible they thought the damage caused by the teardown was so severe that it was worth the cost in PR that this move would cost. My point was simply that there is a cost to a move like this. The fact that they did it anyway illustrates what a debacle this release was.

8. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Wow! That MUST be true then! :eek:

9. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

Agreed. Furthermore, because the internet is the internet, the pictures and documentation will remain floating around regardless of the takedown request.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.” -Abraham Lincoln.

10. leman macrumors G3

I expected more from iFixit. Then again, I suppose that business is business. Still, very disappointing to see a major player who advocates for repair rights etc. play favourites like this. A major credibility loss for iFixit.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

“Plays favorites”? Please explain.

12. bluespark macrumors 68000

There are some issues with these analogies, but the big difference between these situations and what happened here is your use of "not allowed." iFixIt was clearly allowed to post its teardown, but it is also allowed to retract it upon request. That's what happened here: it decided to honor the request notwithstanding that it could have said no.

13. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

Yeah I wasn't dissing Apple, I was basically said what you said. The person I replied to said "Apple probably junked the idea", I said they didn't but they'd have to wait until the manufacturer (Samsung) makes it work first before they can proceed since they (Apple) can't make it themselves. Which like your comment said Apple is not a display manufacturer. That's all.

14. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Oh look. Another Galaxy Fold article and another post (of many) trying to somehow bring Apple into this.

15. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Agree 100%. If this had been Apple, people would be shouting from the rooftops about how Apple is trying to cover up a failure and so on.

16. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

And LG is still behind with their crappy phone displays. Ask Google and the Pixel 2/3 crowd

17. IIGS User macrumors regular

18. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

It’s not unclear.
    It’s very clear.

19. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

I get what you’re trying to say, but bad example. Yes, time travel would be considered a break through regardless of missing limbs.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Ben, do you actually know what's going on in this situation? I ask because your quote reads as if you really don't.

And iFixit does not berate Apple products. Their iPhone repairability ratings are testimony that you're wrong. They judge products regarding their ability to be repaired DIY. If a product is hard to DIY repair the score will be low, whether it's Apple's or someone else's. In fact I'd be willing to bet that any category where you think Apple is unfairly judged compared to Samsung, you'll find similar iFixit repairability scores.

21. mytdave macrumors 6502a

What Shamesung should really be saying is "thank God for iFixIt and others that brought this flaw to light, and saving us from another massive smartphone rollout failure."

22. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Look at any recent iPhone vs Galaxy S scores. The S8/S9 scored 4 while the S10 scored 3. The iPhone 7 scored 7 while the 8, X, XS and XR all scored 6.

I don’t think they’re biased against Apple.

23. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

No, I know it because it never got released

Are you saying that the AirPower was fully designed and announced, but they just decided not to release it?

24. jeyf macrumors 65816

flip phones will make a come back!
    they still are trying to sell MBP's

25. rpe33 macrumors regular

Is making crappy products an innovation now?