iFixit Removes Galaxy Fold Teardown at Samsung's Request

IRockThat828pScreen

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Tennessee
Say what you want about Samsung... at least they are innovating.... what’s Apple doing besides adding a freaking camera lense

It’s no way I’m upgrading from my mid spec XS Max this year
Making a phone fold isn't innovation, it's just a novelty. And it will die off just like Windows Phone.

Suttree

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Say what you want about Samsung... at least they are innovating.... what’s Apple doing besides adding a freaking camera lense
Exactly. Better to try than not try at all. I laughed so hard when Apple released APFS. REALLY? A stupid file system? True Tone? Force Touch? 3D Touch? When Apple gimmicks they gimmick haaaard.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
If you give me a CMaier X1000 Turbo Max Pro pre-production model for review and I turn it over to Timber Tear It Open for a teardown, you have every right to get all up in my colon and tell me to 1. get your property back and 2. get that teardown off the internet. You didn't give the X1000 TMP to Timber, I did. If I want to keep getting access to your products then I will correct my error because it wasn't my right to give your property to Timber. I want to remain in your good graces and Timber wants to remain in my good graces. The teardown gets torn down.

When you ship the X1000 TMP, Timber purchases one for teardown... as they normally do for all their teardowns... of products on sale... which your X1000 TMP was not.

To answer your AirPower question... ifixit would not be allowed to tear it down and publish unless they got explicit permission from Apple. Otherwise the would be in possession of potentially stolen IP and subject to legal action. AirPower? That legal action would be swift and unrelenting.
69Mustang. I usually line up with your thinking -- but not this time.

iFixIt did not receive stolen goods. [We do not know the T&Cs signed by the intermediary, who did.]

Either way, iFixIt did what it does.
Maybe, just maybe, Samsung should have contracted iFixIt for a teardown before the fold's public release.
They did find the weaknesses a-priori, after all.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
fightthenewdrug.org
Exactly. Better to try than not try at all. I laughed so hard when Apple released APFS. REALLY? A stupid file system? True Tone? Force Touch? 3D Touch? When Apple gimmicks they gimmick haaaard.
I’m sorry, but I think Samsung’s engineers and PR department would disagree in this instance. That’s a great mantra in many instances, but not after you mock others’ missteps and then have the stones to charge $2000 for broken prototypes.

Do you really wanna take Samsung (of all the brands) down the “gimmicks” road vs. Apple?

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
While this is another blow to an already troubled product. We need to see what Samsung does and not say what they should do. I'm not defending them because they launched a product that is faulty, but I'm sure they thought it would hold up. I doubt they wanted what is happening now because that's a lose-lose situation for all.

That said, we don't know what their plans are regarding an upgrade/fix. Maybe production and development wise they can do it fairly simply. What the end result will be we can only wait to find out.

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
If you think a file system is stupid then you’re in no position to comment about tech issues. At all.

A file system is one of the most difficult things in an OS to implement. It’s also one of the most important.

Let me know when Samsung or Qualcomm catches up to a 2 year old A Series processor.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
69Mustang. I usually line up with your thinking -- but not this time.
Smart man... usually. Not this time though.:p:D

iFixit did not receive stolen goods. [We do not know the T&Cs signed by the intermediary, who did.]
Because we don't know the terms and conditions signed by the intermediary I stated: potentially stolen IP, not stolen IP. ;)

Either way, iFixIt did what it does.
Maybe, just maybe, Samsung should have contracted iFixIt for a teardown before the fold's public release.
They did find the weaknesses a-priori, after all.
What iFixit does is teardown products that are on the market. It's why they buy what they teardown. They don't destroy other's property... especially without permission. In this case they did, and they did it to property they had no right to destroy.

Samsung should have found the weaknesses in their product through their own quality testing before releasing review units. iFixit would not be the answer. There are multiple companies that specialize in product testing. Any of those would have been sufficient. That isn't iFixit's bailiwick.

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Is that really how long they’ve been working on this phone?
Yes, well the screen at least. They started hyping potential prototypes around that time, so yea pretty much.
[doublepost=1556286258][/doublepost]
In other words, completely redesign a product they’ve been working on for years, and then figure out if people will want one?
Yes, create a new design that doesn't break easily and actually adds some value. I think it's completely ass backwards, but that's where they are at.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
zorin.org
Considering that despite everything the (current) Galaxy Fold won't be used by anyone I think it is fair that Samsung asks for the tear up removal.

But from a PR perspective it would be smarter for Samsung to just let it be. It is not like anyone won't notice what a screwed up almost launch that this was. In fact with this request they are just helping everyone remind even better.
Yeah, I hadn't even seen the original teardown, but now that I heard Samsung wanted it down, I went to archive.org to read it because I got curious.

Streisand effect is real, companies don't seem to understand that.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth

It’s no way I’m upgrading from my mid spec XS Max this year
I'm designing a triple fold phone down to a post-it note size, it may suck and haven't work out the details yet, want to buy one? It's very innovated. ;-)

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The saying in politics is "never let a one-day story become a two-day story." This turns a one-day story into a two-day story, as there will now be articles like this one that remind us of the screen debacle. I'm a case-in-point, as I had not heard about the teardown at issue. Now I have, and now I know it was unfavorable to Samsung.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
fightthenewdrug.org
The saying in politics is "never let a one-day story become a two-day story." This turns a one-day story into a two-day story, as there will now be articles like this one that remind us of the screen debacle. I'm a case-in-point, as I had not heard about the teardown at issue. Now I have, and now I know it was unfavorable to Samsung.
To be fair, though, this was already going to be a 2-day story, as it was supposed to go on sale today.

Firstgreen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Atleast Samsung recalls there products lol. Crsppy apple with their keyboard failure and still refuse to recall their products sigh

danuff

macrumors member
Like it or not, even though Apple seems not to be innovating like it used to, some companies are still afraid of them and want to beat Apple to the punch.

When news web sites (such as MacRumors) even hint at something that Apple maybe thinking about, other companies rush to be the first, and unfortunately, quality is suffering and Apple may still be to blame for that.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Besides fixing the design, Samsung should also change the name to "iFixit Folded".

Now, iFixit will be also be pressured to remove unflattering Apple reviews on new products.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I'm designing a triple fold phone down to a post-it note size, it may suck and haven't work out the details yet, want to buy one? It's very innovated. ;-)
Build it, And maybe I'll give it a go :p

gotta try new things to form an opinion.

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
I still don't understand how the testing process works in those companies (Samsung, Apple). Just put those devices into pockets of the employees and analyze the results after few months. Every new device is just so secret they can't even test it in real life... and here are the consequences.
Except then the employees just going to leave it laying around at some random bar, did you forget the iPhone 4 fiasco?

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
repair.org
I do not get it, iFix it did not do anything wrong, so while Samsung can Ask to take it down, they cannot "request", unless it was a demo unit with NDA.....
Samsung can request anything they want. I
Another rush job, another fail. If only they'd announced it at the end of 2017 and still been unable to release it

/s
[doublepost=1556277992][/doublepost]

In the words of Ian Malcolm...

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
I look forward to the day I can have a roll up screen

Reactions: Darth Tulhu