Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit purchased one of Apple's new iPhone 8 models in Australia, and has already started ripping it apart in one of the site's traditional teardowns.

Inside, the iPhone 8 looks a lot like the iPhone 7, but there are some notable differences, like the wireless charging coil that enables Qi-based inductive charging.

ifixit-teardown-iphone-8-800x565.jpg

The iPhone 8 features an 1,821mAh battery, smaller than the 1,960mAh battery in the iPhone 7. Despite the change, the iPhone 8 continues to offer the same battery life as the iPhone 7 due to processor improvements. Battery capacity was first unveiled last week, but has now been confirmed.

iphone8batteryifixit-800x533.jpg

Included on the logic board is the A11 Bionic chip, which is layered over 2GB of SK Hynix LPDDR4 RAM. There's also a Qualcomm MDM9656 Snapdragon X16 LTE modem and an NXP 80V18 Secure NFC module, among other chips.

iphone8logicboard-800x470.jpg

Other small tweaks and changes in iPhone 8 include a new Lightning port bracket that seems to reinforce it, a new interconnect/antenna cable over the speaker that iFixit calls "strange," a lack of gaskets on the pentalobe tabs used for the display, no tri-point screws holding down the display cable bracket, and additional adhesive strips holding the battery in place.

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus launched today at Apple retail stores in the United States and other first wave launch countries, coinciding with the first deliveries to customers.

Article Link: iFixit Teardown Gives First Look at iPhone 8's Guts

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
As usual smaller battery size compared to previous year's model.
So instead of increasing battery life thanks to the new SoC they keep the same life reducing the size.
When Qi mats will be everywhere I'll stop caring about battery life, but it is a long way to go. For now, I guess the only way to improve battery life is buying the plus.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I am wondering why they are not using LPDDR4X ram like the Samsung devices (note 8) instead of the less power efficient and older LPDDR4. Looks like they once again took the cheaper route. At least they are using modern modems (Qualcomm LTE X16) which wasnt known at first.

Update: Once again with Qualcomm MDM9656 Snapdragon X16 LTE Modem that Support Gigabit speed but is disabled by Apple due to the Intel modem in other variants which max peak at 500Mbps.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Quick... how do these compare to any leaked parts?

I've always wanted to go back and check the leaks... but I never have.

Anyone want to try? :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I am wondering why they are not using LPDDR4X ram like the Samsung devices (note 8) instead of the less power efficient and older LPDDR4. Looks like they once again took the cheaper route. At least they are using modern modems (Qualcomm LTE X16) which wasnt known at first.
Not really needed when Apple is putting in half as much RAM (3 vs 6 GB), and running iOS instead of Android can get away with it. But another GB would have been nice with this generation of iPhones, and that is one of the reasons I decided to wait until next year instead of jumping on the iPhone X.

Reactions: NamE_O

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Wow that SIM card slot looks enormous nowadays. How has Apple not pushed to remove it entirely and go the 'digital SIM' route?

It would save so much space inside the device and allow them to make the device even more water tight as there'd be no need for a SIM slot.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Wow that SIM card slot looks enormous nowadays. How has Apple not pushed to remove it entirely and go the 'digital SIM' route?

It would save so much space inside the device and allow them to make the device even more water tight as there'd be no need for a SIM slot.
Because it would be a much bigger pain for people like myself who opt to swap a SIM card from an old device to a new one, and don't want to go through the hassle of activating.

I remember doing this when going from my iPhone 5s to iPhone 6s Plus two years ago and couldn't believe how easy it was. Old SIM worked perfectly in the iPhone 6s.

Reactions: OriginalMacRat

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Wow, Qualcomm instead of Intel. That's a positive surprise. Just a little bit of nitpicking that they could have put latest and greatest X20 instead X16, but that's fine...

Edit: Looks like X20 is announced, but maybe not yet available, so X16 is the best. Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The note 8 smokes the current iphones with ram management. You may load a game a second faster but you can't hold anything in your memory according to this and other videos. So you guys actually do need more than 3 GB ram.

Not to worry Apple will tighten up the ram Management so that any apparent slowdown from Youtube serial app openers is addressed.

just21

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Snapdragon X16 has Gigabit Class LTE so we have 1 GB chip

Big win for Qualcomm over Intel. Apple must be going for less models this year and a world phone unlike last year when intel got the gsm business and Qualcomm the sprint/Verizon version.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Who the hell came out with the name “bionic”? It sounds retarded :)

I know, it's embarrassing.

I did wonder if this is a UK vs USA type of thing, or it is "Just Apple"

For a professional company to use terms like

Genius
Lightning
Bionic
Retina
Firewire

These are the type of names given my people still at school to try and impress your mates in the playground.
Not for multi billion serious company.

Going to see the "Apple Genius" is really cringeworthy. But perhaps that's as I'm from the UK ?

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Wow, Qualcomm instead of Intel. That's a positive surprise. Just a little bit of nitpicking that they could have put latest and greatest X20 instead X16, but that's fine...

Edit: Looks like X20 is announced, but maybe not yet available, so X16 is the best. Enjoy. :cool:
I doubt the gsm carriers in the states would get this chip

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
In before the ifixit repair-ability rating of -10 because I miss the days when I could self repair my Razor after it snapped in half.

With a self repair rating so low, soccer moms are sure to buy an android.

Reactions: AlphaHumanus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.