Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IKEA today has launched a new "tribute campaign" to Apple and the inductive wireless charging features of the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, playing off of popular Apple catchphrases like "This changes everything" and "Think different" (via DesignTAXI and The Verge).

ikea-apple-ads-6.jpg

The campaign is called "This Charges Everything," and includes multiple other references to Apple's advertising campaigns of years past, as well as a few jokes aimed at the internet's wish for AirPower to be called "Apple Juice."

ikea-apple-ads-4.jpg

The new IKEA ads are aimed at the RIGGAD LED lamp with Qi wireless charging, which runs for $69.99, and the VARV Table lamp with Qi wireless charging, which runs for $79.99. Other Apple references include: "One more thing... it's also a lamp," "Link different," and a question asking Siri "what lamp should I buy?"

IKEA has quite a few pieces of furniture and home accessories with Qi pads, including bedside tables, floor lamps, and individual charging pads (single and triple) that you can place anywhere.

ikea-apple-ads-1.jpg

IKEA teamed up with advertising agency ACNE to build the campaign for "This Charges Everything." According to Morten Kjær, Creative Director at IKEA Creative Hub, "IKEA has been very progressive with wireless charging, and we are thrilled that new iPhone owners finally can make use of one of the most powerful lamps we've ever made."

ikea-apple-ads-2.jpg

The new campaign has been shared to time with today's launch of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, which are the first of Apple's iPhones to ever support wireless charging through the Qi standard. When it launches in November, the iPhone X will also support the feature and will be able to charge through IKEA's furniture. For a look at current and upcoming Qi-supported charging pads, check out our roundup here.

Article Link: IKEA Launches New Apple-Inspired Ad Campaign for Qi Charging Furniture

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
This is for those who underestimate Apple's marketing pull.

Qi charging has existed for years (it's built into my Note5!) but now that Apple puts a phone out with it built in, then people take notice.

Amazing.
I couldn't agree more with what you said, it's not about being the first to the party.

Last edited by a moderator:

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
IMO we still don't NEED wireless charging. It's just a luxury spec.

no you do, it makes life 10 times easier. Try it, you will never use anything else. I have a wireless charging case on my SE since day 1. I knew Apple was full of it when the wireless charging furniture came at the office.

you can even get a Dell monitor with the pad on the base.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Would this lamp work with the Apple Watch or is that a different type of charging?
The only Apple Watch that will work with Qi is the Series 3. So, if you are getting one you should be able to use this lamp to charge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.