I'm NEVER EVER giving up my UNL data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aa521490, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Way to take a stand there. Was this linked article not getting the steam in the other thread(s) you're posting it in?

For those who wish to actually discuss and not have to go visit another site, here is the short article quoted, something the OP could have done as well. ;)

PS OP, keep that unlimited data (unlimited is another word for UNL), but I believe people will find wifi is more accessible all over by the year 2018. And yes, I have unlimited data.

2. aa521490 thread starter macrumors regular

WiFi..hmmm. The only place I feel safe using it is at home. Even if my workplace offered it, I still won't use it. Don't want my employer to know I'm watching....:p. As long as T-Mobile is offering UNL data, I see no reason VZW or AT&T will take away unlimited data from grandfathered users. Now if those 2 see millions of subscribers leaving for T-Mobile because of UNL data, then who knows....they might offer UNL data again:eek:.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have 7 devices (3 iPhones and 4 iPads) on AT&T with a 6GB plan
    We never even come close to using the data... WiFi at home and work
    It is a non-issue for me and many others

But then again, we don't stream Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, etc.

4. aa521490 thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention...I have pre-teens so unlimited data with no overages will help my wallet.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have a 2GB plan for myself and I've only ever gone over once when we were traveling cross country and I was streaming music for about 4 days straight.

I have WiFi at home, work, and pretty much any other place I go. I don't care who sees that I'm streaming music, and I don't care to watch videos on my phone. IT doesn't care that I stream music at work, so that isn't a problem for me either.

I'm not saying that I DON'T want unlimited, unfortunately it isn't available on a carrier with reliable service where I live, so I do without(and I do just fine.)

6. steveh552 macrumors regular

I have not had an internet connection at home as I had an agreement with a neighbor to use their wifi but they moved and iv yet to sign up. I could not go without unlimited data, I did for awhile and it hurt monthly.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

It all depends on your access to wifi.

I have been traveling most of the past 7 months and consume around 10-20gb data each month just on the cell phone alone. (I have both ATT and verizon unlimited) cause I didn't have cable internet and hotel wifi just sucks even though I get it was marriott platnium and hilton diamond.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, Verizon has indicated that at some point it may force people off grandfathered unlimited plans--so enjoy it while you can. :) AT&T just throttles people at 5GB (sometimes) so its effectively already done this--though 5GB of data for $30 is still a deal.

At some point, I think its possible that better tiered data pricing might cause me to leave unlimited on my own considering how competitive it is out there.

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Do you have any kind of link? I'd be interested in reading that. They shouldn't be able to do that because of their 700mhz spectrum, so I'm curious of how they would have worded it. Thanks!

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my dad has unlimited data and I'm pretty sure he only uses about 1gb of it.

11. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

I won't be giving mine up either. Verizon is making a killing off overages on those share plans. All it takes is for someone's kid to stream YouTube throughout the day or "accidentally" download a large file and you are hit with $15-30 in overages. I'll keep my blazing fast UNLIMITED Verizon LTE and use my phone however I wish without monitoring data.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

I have Unlimited on my and my wife's iPhones. But face it, somewhere down the line AT&T is going to say you can't switch device without switching from the unlimited data plan. And then you'll be either buying devices unsubsidized (which, to be fair, might happen anyway...), or be stuck with your old device with unlimited data.

Heck, AT&T could easily say that if you buy your own device, they'll STILL bump you off unlimited if a handset change is detected on the account.

I'm as glad as you to be able to have unlimited, but I wouldn't count on it staying this way for too much longer.

13. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I have 'unlimited' data on 3 iPhones with AT&T, but in my opinion, when they run short of bandwidth, they will just kill off the 'grandfathered' plans. (Our days are numbered...)

I never even get close to 1GB on either mine or the wife's iPhone, but my teenage daughter runs near 5GB every month. Seriously looking at the new 10GB plan to save some cash...

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

I had 4 lines on Verizon early last year and tried to "share" data thing. 4 iPhones. I found myself having to increase the data allotment constantly. 6GB, 8GB, 10GB, 12GB, it was ridiculous. Blazing LTE that you have to be afraid to use.

I went over to T-Mobile and got unlimited and now I just use my iPhone as I please and know that my bill is a set price every month no matter what.

AT&T/VZW are pushing those plans hard for a reason. Either you use your data and pay them overages every month or be afraid to use it and pay them for more than you actually use each month. It's ingenious on the business side of things. I like the fact that T-Mobile has the option of throttled data for those who don't need unlimited. There isn't anything stopping AT&T/VZW from doing the same except for the fact that those overages are oh so profitable.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhmmmm…yeah. I guess this is cause for some concern if you're not on Sprint.

16. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Or if your on tmobile it's not an issue, though something makes me think that sprint will no longer offer unlimited data soon.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Really? Its not hard to figure out my average data usage based on the previous 6 months, and buy the best plan to fit that. I have my family(5 people currently) on the 10GB AT&T share plan and according to my math, we'll use 8-10GB. If we go over it's only by 1GB and that only costs an extra $15. We'd have to use more than 24GB extra every year before it would be cheaper to switch up to the next plan.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Unlimited data sure is a nice thing, but I can't say I've needed it. I've got a 10GB plan and won't come close to using it, even with 3 smart phones. Two weeks left on my plan and we've only used 1.2GB. And that's just when I'm trying to use data with downloading apps and not using WiFi - things I could easily not do.

19. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I guarantee you will have to give it up in the near future. Like others have said either through an upgrade, bring your own phone, they will knock you off of it. I predict it will happen within the next 18 months. Tmo and sprint can offer it but at the end of the day their coverage/service sucks, and they too will end it in the name of the almighty buck.

:apple:

----------

Good for you! it's nice to see that there are other families that don't have their head plastered to a phone watching movies and videos all day long.

----------

Not forever, maybe another 18 months or so.

20. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

We will all give up the grandfathered unlimited in the future. The one thing that is constant with technology is change. There are things coming to the phone that none of us can envision. What will it be? You can bet for sure it will involve the use of more data and the capped or throttled "unlimited" plans won't hack it.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I gave up unlimited to save money with the new shared plans. Unlimited throttled data has no value to me. My wife and I use no more than 2GB a month. We're typically in WiFi coverage so I don't know how we even use that much.

In regards to overages it's a matter of discipline and buying the service level that meets your needs.

22. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I have 2 Att iPhones with unlimited and right now switching to 10 gb shared plan does not make it worth $20 savings a month. Down the road when children will ask for their smartphones? Yes

23. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

For each person with unlimited data who actually BENEFITS from it, i.e. uses 10GB+ each month, there are 10 people who have been paying over the odds because they think they MIGHT need more data down the road, and so far have not.

It makes me chuckle. The telcos can take it away any time they like.