Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
California
Here’s my problem: while booted into OS X Tiger install disk (1/4), I cannot get Disk Utility to successfully recognize the new SSD I installed. It hangs with a spinning wheel. At times, it might display the manufacturer name of the SSD (OWC Mercury), but hangs still. I have to power the iMac off. What is going on?

Now here’s some backstory:

I have prior experience with a similar project with a G4 Power Mac, and I did not have this issue. Which leads me to think I may have just missed something silly....

I decided to give myself a new project, to finally own something I’ve always wanted: a vintage iMac G3, model 5521 from 2001 (Snow color). I ordered it from eBay. It powered up and was working great with 10.4.11 having been installed on it, so I know we have a baseline. Everything appeared to work fine.

Long story short, I wanted to upgrade it for my own enjoyment and reminiscing. I ordered an OWC Mercury Legacy Pro drive for it (since it came with the SATA->PATA adapter I needed). This the only hardware I have installed in it at this point.

I installed the drive successfully, I didn’t format it before installing it (maybe this is where I went wrong?). I observed that it *appeared* the jumpers were set for master. Put it back together, plugged in, inserted Tiger CD, launched DU, hang; and that is as far as I can get.

My next step I’m trying, soon as I can, will be to remove and format the drive (Apple Partition Map) on another Mac and try again.

Let me know what ideas you have, workarounds, or if anyone else has had experience with something similar... it would be extremely helpful and insightful. Thanks!

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Most likely it's the adapter - some work very well and others are just crap, no matter what price they are. I have two 'MANHATTAN 158282 SATA 300 Drive to IDE Host Converter' in use and they work just fine in my eMacs. But others here have reported that even some 5 bucks device is working well.
First you might want to set the jumper to 'cable select' instead of master

bb426

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
California
Most likely it's the adapter - some work very well and others are just crap, no matter what price they are. I have two 'MANHATTAN 158282 SATA 300 Drive to IDE Host Converter' in use and they work just fine in my eMacs. But others here have reported that even some 5 bucks device is working well.
First you might want to set the jumper to 'cable select' instead of master

Sweet!! It looks like it was certainly the jumper. It recognizes the drive after I set it to cable select!! Thanks for that.

On a separate note, I’ve been trying really hard to get the adapter needed to plug in my Airport card. But it seems that many places no longer have them in stock when I try to order them. I’ve tried both eBay and dvwarehouse online, and both have said they’re out of stock, even after they said they have stock (of course they both tell me this a week after I order it).

Do you or anyone happen to know somewhere I can find one, or point me in the right direction? I know they’re hard to come by...

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
According to everymac no adapter is needed, what are you referring to?

an adapter is needed on imac g3's. i know this because i had to get one and install it. didn't know they were hard to come by now.
[doublepost=1512664235][/doublepost]wrong thread. sorry.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
an adapter is needed on imac g3's. i know this because i had to get one and install it. didn't know they were hard to come by now.
I used to have these iMac g3 adapters. It's a slotted sled thingie. eBay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.