Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bru90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
London. UK
Hey

Picking up a 20inch G4 iMac today and I’m keen to convert it into a Hackintosh.

I’ve seen a few guides online on how to do this but if I’m honest, they’re too text heavy on the modification “experience” and I’m getting lost/confused trying to follow it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide which is more along the lines of

shopping list:
X
Y
Z

Tools required
A
B
C

Steps

Or is anyone in the U.K/London. able to do the project as a Commison?

Thanks in advance
B

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hey

I’ve seen a few guides online on how to do this but if I’m honest, they’re too text heavy on the modification “experience” and I’m getting lost/confused trying to follow it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide which is more along the lines of

shopping list:
X
Y
Z

Tools required
A
B
C

Steps

Thanks in advance
B

does this 20 inch iMac G4 still work?

if so are you up for selling it?

I much rather just buy it off you then watch a working one get butchered :)

especially as I could do with a 7445 Based Mac to help @dosdude1 me and him are trying to upgrade a 7445 iMac G4 (PowerMac6,3) to a 7447B CPU to replicate DayStars 1.92Ghz iMac G4 upgrade from back in the day :)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
If the iMac is in a working condition install Tiger or Leopard, set up another fast intel-Mac or a Windows-machine to be accessed via ScreenSharing/RemoteDesktop/FileSharing/Dropbox etc. through your iMac and preserve that beautiful, unspoiled and unmodded iMac G4!

Reactions: LightBulbFun

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Hey

shopping list:
X
Y
Z

Tools required
A
B
C

Steps

Thanks in advance
B

Well I can't help you on Hackintoshing this beauty, as it would end up like something from the rogues gallery or those 'worst facelift' photos that one sees from time to time. Tantamount to puting a large pair of lips and then adding a Michael Jackson nose on the current Miss France, sacrilege imho.
Take the OS for example (Tiger or Leopard), beauty also comes from within.
I too have a 20" iMac and under my ownership it will never go under the knife, either externally or internally (with the exception of an SSD which I installed). No butchering required, either inside or out.
With OS 10.5 fully optimized (link HERE), the latest version TFF7450-FPR8 loaded - and then tweaked (Ref link HERE), you will have an iMac to cherish. Enjoy it for what it is - a classic, not for what it isn't.
As a plain standard 20" G4 iMac, if it doesn't hold a special place in your heart sell it to LBFun....... or myself!

If you MUST upgrade a G4 iMac with an Intel i5 or i7 (it's been done before as proof of concept), do so with a very sick and unserviceable 17" G4 iMac. They are generally easy to find and cheap - unlike the very collectable 20" version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.