Imac killer is here!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by illtype, Jun 10, 2008.

1. illtype macrumors member

Any one see the new HP TouchSmart IQ506 PC. This thing looks nice. What you guys think? Looks like it could be an iMac killer!!!

2. Garemz macrumors regular

The best thing about any mac is OS X

Enough Said!!!

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Not wanting to sound like a fanboy, here but it's a HP, in my experience with HP computers, I have found the build quality to be dubious at best.

4. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Not really, dell has had the XPS one out for a while now, and sony has their 'imac' aswell, can't remember the name though, people buy the imac because they want an apple computer, and imo the imac is much better looking than that HP computer
    the dell XPS one:

Attached Files:

5. aosman macrumors 6502

+1 Mac OS X FTW!

6. Alloye macrumors 6502a

:eek: I wouldn't trade my iMac for that. Not only is it ugly, but it comes with Vista too. :p

7. illtype thread starter macrumors member

I have an imac and love it. I just wish it was touchscreen. This thing could be amazing running my house.

8. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

Very well said Elven. After my last experience with HP, I will never use HP again.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Correct, people don't buy the iMac for design, they buy it for the operating system, the iMac is the primary consumer OS X running desktop. If the "HP TouchSmart IQ506" ran Mac OS X then perhaps it might stand a chance, but not a lot of us really want touch screens on desktops... too much work involved with actively using the computer... outstretched arms and all.

10. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I watched the demo of the touchscreen on that thing and it was terrible. I don't even see why they included the touchscreen if it's that slow and clunky to use.

11. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Agreed. Terrible computers. That's why I build my own and then hackintosh it. I already have a MacBook Pro though.

12. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

WTF :confused:

13. G-Com macrumors regular

iMac killer my eye! :rolleyes: It's still a PeeCee and it still runs Windows. Reasons enough to not even give it a second look.

Didn't Gateway have something along the lines of that?

14. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Oh well, we had a good run. Would the last person left on the forums please turn off the lights?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree! I don't need neck and shoulder fatigue to go along with my advanced CTS! Who'd-a-thunk that computing could be a hazardous sport? :cool:

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

X3100 graphics. Rather have a mini with a Dell monitor.

17. illtype thread starter macrumors member

18. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

+1

Remember all the hoopla over Gateway's all-in-one PC? Surprisingly, neither do I. These names are just not nearly as ubiquitous as Apple's brand name - that's all that matters in the end. 

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That thing is uuuggly (to paraphrase Steve Jobs during the original iMac launch)

The only thing it's got going for it is the touchscreen, apart from that it's not even worth mentioning. the iMac is far, far better looking, better designed and runs OS X. Nothing more to say, really ;)

20. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

uh, apparently im suprised no one mentioned the updated XPS One which actually seems even just as good as or even better than the new iMac

it has a 2.8 Extreme Core 2 Duo w/ blu-ray and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 512 MB for the price of $1599 w/ their special goin on right now
    obviously the battle of the OS's with OSX vs Vista is another story

21. illtype thread starter macrumors member

The new xps one is very nice for the price. I am all about the touchscreen.

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Since no links were posted Im wondering how many people are assuming the Dell that was posted is the HP. The Dell looks like a redneck dressed for the ball but the HP isnt ugly and is comparable to high end electronics in style.

Either way its just a toy for the rich. It would be great for a "kitchen computer" or something to have around the house ontop of a drawer or something, but not as a regular computer.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yawn, the real iMac killer is going to be the Asus EEE all-in-one. No one is going to compete with Apple when you are comparing machines "in the same class" (that is, in the $1200-2000 range) because of OSX, iLife, and the fantastic iMac design...

The EEE all-in-one, though, is going to be slower, smaller, and most importantly CHEAPER than the iMac. I read it'll have 1.6ghz Intel "atom", GMA950, 120gb HDD, 1gb RAM, a 19" widescreen display, USB/ethernet/wifi/etc for about $400 or so. Runs Linux or Windows, and I'm sure OSX will get shoehorned on there soon after release.

That's going to be a tough market for Apple to compete in - I've long felt they are "over building" their lowest end machines - most people just don't need that much power.

24. illtype thread starter macrumors member

mrgreen i agree the eee line up is going to be very nice. The eee tv and the all in one and the desktop all look great. I also agree its not all about power.

25. KristenM macrumors regular

Owning a top of the line HP was what finally pushed me to Macs. I had lousy experiences with Dell and Gateway but the HP was horrific. It was the "perfect" machine for the first 4 months. I was blissfully happy and didn't even mind the almost $3000 I laid out for it. Then it all slowly went to hell. One thing after another. It completely died after only 13 months. I said goodbye to it and PCs in general, bought an iMac and MacBook and haven't looked back.