Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm still waiting for the MacBook Pro to get a current generation hard drive. 300g is too small. It's time Apple kept up with the market. There should be a 500g drive in the 17 inch pro.

Apple you're losing SALES.
:eek:

No, they aren't. Anyone intelligent enough to want/need a larger hard drive is intelligent enough not to buy a hard drive from Apple.

mc.stever

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
There is quite a premium on 2TB drives at the point.
1Tb is 139; 2Tb is 319. I would be surprised if there was not a price increase.
I wonder what a 1Tb drive cost when the 1Tb Time Capsule was introduced.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Um...

Don't know if this has been said before on this thread or not but we found out that, at least with all of our distributors, the product info rarely comes from the actual vendor. All the information comes from a third party source that the vendor tasks with providing the information. I know that sounds strange but we have had numerous issues with incorrect specs from our distributors and once, after a real big screw up, got to talk to one of the agents from a description provider. They would check out the inconsistency with one of the vendor's sources and fix it. The problem was never fixed but the product did go 'disco' shortly after. (Discontinued)

Mistakes are more common than people might think.

Now, is this a 'screw up', a leak, or is this 'bait' for sites like this. I wouldn't put it past a reseller to fake a picture just to draw eyes...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yep...

No, they aren't. Anyone intelligent enough to want/need a larger hard drive is intelligent enough not to buy a hard drive from Apple.

Seagate has the Momentus ST9500420ASG 7,200RPM with G-Shock protection... I'd bet my data on that one.

Has anyone done a comparison on how different drives effect battery life? Would this drive be a good choice for keeping battery life? (Which has never been what Apple claims it should be)

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
From looking at the source, clubmac appears to be a shop window for http://www.pcmall.com. The image certainly comes from pcmall, and essentially the same Time Capsule pages, including the 2TB box image, are found on their site. And, on both clubmac and pcmall, the 2TB image appears on both the 500GB and 1TB pages (dual band, not single band).

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/d...nd 802.11n Wi-Fi-NAS Network Attached Storage

Edit: Sorry, link doesn't work for some reason - you can find the Time Capsule pages easily enough though.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
If this is two 1TB drives striped then I'd be a little concerned. A back up should not have twice the failure potential built in.
Maybe I worry too much.:confused:

No you don't. A RAID0 stripe can only be considered a backup by people who don't understand the implications of what that kind of disk config means. If that's what the product is going to be then it's coated with hot spicy failsauce.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't see the point of Apple even putting a disk inside the Time Capsule box. Why not just have a FW800 port and let users buy their own disk? Then if you like, hook up a Drobo unit that is stuffed with 1.5 TB SATA drives. Disk drive technology moves quickly.

make it a SSD apple

That would be pointless. There is no need to save power, the device is plugged into A/C mains. These is no need to make it faster is wireless is slower then even a slow disk drive.

What you really need is the ability to use redundent stoarge or storge that is larger than the largest available disk drive. In other words RAID5.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
"Automatic wirless backup for your Mac" ? Looks like they need a tidy up of the page

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Awesome, now just for a 2TB Apple TV?

This is great stuff but can we also have a 2TB Apple TV mr Jobs? Having to hack them is just getting boring...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So far...

Western Digital is the only company that I've found with a single drive 2TB product. It's of the Caviar Green series.

Reviewed here: LINK

Apple doesn't seem to use any WD drives but who knows...

Can you imagine a Time Capsule twice as thick as the current one to house 2 1TB drives? Imagine the heat too. They would also need some kind of controller in there too, to do the raid. I'll pass on that one... I'm already nervous enough that the TC doesn't have a raid option...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I would love to see Apple make the TC compete with Drobo in that market by making the HDD/HDDs hot swappable.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
That is an entirely different product!!! The TimeCapsule is not a server but a wireless router and access point with a built in hard drive!
P.S. the HP setver starts at 600 for the 750 GB
Well this is what Apple should build the unit into, right now its purpose is too limited, I feel they are going that way with the new additions they added in the update.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
This is great stuff but can we also have a 2TB Apple TV mr Jobs? Having to hack them is just getting boring...

Why?

I have no need for anything bigger currently in my Apple TV. I stream everything from my PMG5 in my home office. Sure somethings are on the drive but I just looked and I have 4GB of video, 4GB of photos, but the rest is empty space for rentals.

I guess if you don't have a computer networked you might want larger but still, what's wrong with streaming?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Steve wants us to live the dual band lifestyle.

Where do I get that furniture, anyway?

Rocketman

Attachments

• 7761289_MC4.jpg
    7761289_MC4.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 126
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.