Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

they haven't ran them in awhile, so... Like I said, I'll look into setting one up at some point.

2. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Rules have been reworked again, and allowed device list has been created. Feel free to update or add to allowed device list if necessary. If you change the allowed device list or add to it, please make a post stating your changes.

3. Kliee macrumors newbie

Kliee

I'm in!

I couldn't do it this winter but this time I'll gladly participate.
    I may seem noobish, but how do I add my username to your list?

4. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

If you're on the actual MacRumors website as opposed to an app, on the bottom of the post, click edit and then just type in @yourusername

5. Kliee macrumors newbie

Kliee

I guess I must not have the appropriate permissions because I see no such "edit" button.

6. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

ah I see, you're still a newbie. I'll add you

7. bobesch, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Oh, this time maybe I'm not in...
    During the last challence I could max out my PPC's capabilities to it's best being lucky to find some clues I'd been looking for a long time:
    - VPN-access to my Win2008-Server with WinXP-Fundamentals
    - file exchange between my PowerBook and nearly every other source cheating with the iFiles-App on my iPhone
    I'm currently looking foreward to an iLife'06 Retail package to run iMovie'06, which is said to be the last iMovie version for semi-professionals offering a lot of options, which soon later were removed from iMovie'08/'09.
    Scanning files with my ScanSnap m1500 and DEVONthing Office setting the latter for batch OCR during nightime, when the Powerbook is otherwise idle, is also a job, that can be done with PPC.
    With the exception of HD-video or video-streaming-services like Netflix, for me PPC-Macs have currently no essential limits to get my stuff done - my PPCs usage is more than 50% compared to intel-macs.
    Well, but life's too short to spend to much time waiting for certain (most often unpopular) heavy-workload stuff being done by slow hardware ...

8. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Hm, Netflix, don't use it but that sounds like a challenge to get it working, I noticed that Roccat played Udemy videos
    which was impossible on LWK/Safari/TFF , will look into that.

9. ApplesDotCom101, Apr 5, 2017

ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

Another PowerPC Challenge! I'm in!

What I will be using:
    June 2004 Dual 1.8 Power Mac G5
    1999 400mhz Power Mac G4
    1998 GameBoy Color

let the journey begin in July!

10. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

HTML5 support was finally added for FireFox on linux, so perhaps it'll work in TenFourFox?

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

How is this a PPC challenge if you can use iDevices all the way up to iPad 2?

12. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

They are all compatible with PowerPC computers, as long as they are running iOS 6 or below. Honestly, the browsing experience will be just about the same as using TenFourFox. Theres little to no app support left on iOS 6 or below. Youtube crashes constantly and safari fails to load most web pages.

If you don't want to use them, then you don't have to.

13. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I agree with @Dronecatcher that these devices are too new and we should stick with era-correct devices. Sure, the devices are compatible, but they're still much newer. The list should be:
    No iPads
    iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3GS
    iPod touch 1 and 2 (maybe the 3 if it was on or before 2009; IDK the release date)

Basically, anything before 2009 because that was the time when Leopard was supported.

14. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I agree with everything expect I think iPad 1 should be allowed, as it is a beyond low powered device. I shall change the rules accordingly.

15. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

Oh, I forgot about the iOS 6 disclaimer. Do Apple still try and force you to upgrade by leaving the new iOS installer on your device hogging space?

16. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

So, on a well tuned linux installation Netflix should work fine on a PowerPC Mac?
    If memory serves me right it needed Silverlight to work.

17. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I'm not sure how it works on iOS 6, but I know it does on iOS 8, 9, and 10...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    yeah, it does need Silverlight, which wasn't available for Linux. However, they added HTML5 support for Firefox only on linux. I'm not sure if it'll work OOB on PowerPC TFF, but if you make a user agent, it may indeed work. If not, you should be able to use a PPC-based Linux installation as you said.

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

First week of July, hmm... Count me in on this one as well. In the meantime I'll install Linux in the G5 Quad and some more useful apps to be better-prepared for this challenge. Have also been wanting to get a 30" Cinema Display - not the 5K Retina I'm used to on the iMac, but still much better than 1920x1080.
    I think we can include anything that maxes-out at iOS 6 or earlier, including iPod Touch 4. Maybe iPhone 4 if someone is still running iOS 6 on theirs (or downgrades via jailbreak).

19. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

That was my original decision, but @Dronecatcher did not approve. However, since there are more people who are voting to have those devices allowed than not, I'm debating on adding them back.

20. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher has spoken......ha ha :) No, ignore me - I'm not even taking part (as a full time PPC user there is no challenge) - I just thought that having an iPad 2 or similar PPC compatible device would allow any challenger off the hook to do internet stuff and still qualify - which to me is the same as saying, first gen Intel Macs allowed.
    Just my opinion that's all :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    That'll be a useful perspective - by all accounts, modern Linux apps are better optimised for multiple PPC cores than OSX was.

21. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Loving this list!

I'll probably whip out my DS Lite to play some Pokemon games from the 2007 era, or my Game Boy Color/Pocket during the week, as well as using some of these PowerPCs:

- PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15"
    - Power Mac G4 MDD 1.25 GHz
    - iMac G3 Blue Dalmatian 600 MHz
    - PowerBook G3 PDQ 300 MHz
    - Power Mac G3 B&W 300 MHz
    - Power Mac G4 500 MHz

I have a lot of PowerPCs, so I'm excited this time around to use some of the lower spec'd models, like the PowerBook G3 and the iMac more. :) I'll also be between both parent's houses during the week most likely, so I'll have to split my usage anyway, and carry a PowerBook with me (with a power adapter!). :)

22. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I agree with that, as much as I hate to admit it the iPad 1 is pretty obsolete at this point. But that's never stopped me. ;)
    Add a poll to the thread. Either "2009 or Older Devices" or "Any PPC Compatible Devices".

23. bobesch, Apr 5, 2017

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Oh, that would need the hassle (at least for me it would be hassle) to install an appropriate version of Linux onto one of my G4 books. I can't believe they will have enought power to stream and expand those Netflix or other video-streams ...
    And my eco-system of 'prêt-à-manger' Unix, which means PPC-Macs, intel-Macs and iOS with virtual Windows, VPN, FileSharing, ScreenSharing, Cloud-access (webDAV nativly on all of the devices, the rest through iOS and iFiles), iTunes-sharing, compatilble Office/DEVONthink, TaskPaper-Outliner in Sync, email etc does serve me pretty well that I don't feel the urge to start from the scratch with Linux.

24. pochopsp, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Well you could always create a second partition. As long as you have a nice graphics card it won't be too hard to get a good working linux installation. The computer I use the most is my MDD and I don't boot in OS X since I found a way to get hw acceleration from my video card on Debian Wheezy

25. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Unfortunately, I'll have to bow out this time.

I know you said Intel was fine for work tasks. That's all good and well except that it's the first week of the class I'm teaching, and for a class that meets 10 hours a week I'm pretty dealing with it around the clock. Blackboard has become increasingly PPC-unfriendly over the past year, and there's no good way for me to access my university's email system on PPC(Leopard Mail doesn't play nicely with Exchange, and the bloated Outlook Web App isn't overly PPC friendly).

Funny enough, though, when I'm teaching this class I do tend to put my Quad and DLSD to work making worksheets and the like since both have some software that I can't afford/my university can't afford to buy me for Intel Macs.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.