Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

No, Debian is not an entry level distro like Ubuntu/Lubuntu etc - it's not rocket science but it does require a bit of work to become fully functional.
    It's great if you want to start with an absolute minimal system and only install what you need.
    No current Linux distro will beat OSX for speed - if you want that you need to dig into the archives and get an older release.
    Not that I'm knocking Linux - I've tried it many times but always come back to OSX because it suits my needs.
    Lubuntu 16.04 worked really well on my 12" Powerbook - however, CPU use was pretty high all the time.

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

TBH if I ever did get a working Linux installation I'd probably go back to OS X too. It runs all the software I need, it's a platform I'm familiar with, and speed is just fine.

Plus, I probably couldn't get by without Roccat, which only runs on 10.5... I've gotten used to the features like RCouds and Flick and I use them constantly. Roccat support is the only reason I upgraded my iPad 1 to an iPad mini 1.

3. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Aaah. Might try it myself too. Don't know if I should go with 7 or 8 tho. Hopefully it'll install alongside Mac OS X because I don't feel like a format.

Roccat works real poorly on my PowerBook G4 17" 1GHz for some reason. LWK works just fine tho..

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sigh...

Roccat uses the WebKit framework found within the system. It's using the exact same rendering engine as Safari 5!

You have to relink it against LWK. What happens when you do this is Roccat will be using the updated WebKit framework from LWK. So it will render webpages exactly like LWK.

To do this, make sure you have a copy of Roccat and the LWK dmg. Mount the dmg and you should see an item called "Relink against Leopard-WebKit". Drag Roccat onto this.
    Picture 1.png
    Then let the script do its thing for awhile. You will see it copying and deleting stuff. All it's doing is making a copy of Roccat, then updating it using the latest WebKit frameworks. The new version will be called "Roccat LepWK".

Let me know if you don't understand any part of this. ;)

5. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

I know, I linked it against Leopard WebKit obviously. The UI of Roccat at is just dog slow for me..

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Strange. It always works great for me.

7. pochopsp, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Let me tell you Dronecatcher, probably Debian 7 works faster than OS X 10.5 on my MDD. File manager opens instantly, so do browser pages, for youtube I installed Greasemonkey, viewtube and Vlc Browser Plugin (which is available directly from Debian repository), I compiled Megatools and with it I can use Mega.nz in terminal at the speed of light. Last, but not the least, I managed to get 3D acceleration working. Sooner or later I'll make a video of it.

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Sounds good :)
    I did have Debian 7 on my 1.67 Powerbook and it was quite zippy but the touchpad couldn't be tamed, despite every tweak it was never accurate.
    Yaboot corrupting made my mind up to go back to Leopard.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Right. I'm ready! 15" DLSD is fixed.

Attached Files:

10. mryingster macrumors regular

mryingster

I'll join in this time. I have a PowerBook G4, 15 inch 1.25 GHz. I wonder if I will be able to get by using CS2... What could possible go wrong?

11. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

so yesterday I was with some of my friends and they erased my OS X 10.5.8. and OS X 10.4.11 hard drives on my G5..... :mad: luckily they did nothing to my G4 :)

today I found this out. so I installed 10.4 and updated it to 10.4.11.

I'm gonna try out ubuntu mate 16.10 again, last time I tried to install it won't boot after installing but I think I found a fix

wish me luck...;)

12. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Some friends... why would they erase your hard drive?

13. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

I don't know why they did. they said it was a "prank" I just defriended them anyway.
    At least I still have an OS installed on it :)

14. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I never heard of this fix, thanks for sharing! Hope it works for you!

15. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Count me in! As I'm tryin that for weeks it shouldn't be that hard for me ;) I use my big fat Windows Tower only for playing games but I can live without that for a while.

As it's my first time I'm not familiar with the @UserName thing you mentioned - how can i participate?

16. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

The first post is a WikiPost, so I think anybody but newbies can edit it. Unfortunately, you cannot edit it yet.

Your @UserName is @amagichnich. Mine is @HFTaylor12. Your username, with an @ before it. :)

I'll add you to the list since you can't edit WikiPosts yet.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2017 ---
    You are on the list. ;)

17. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Thanks a lot!

Yesss I'm working hard on getting rid of that newbie status ;) but not with spam of course

18. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

After reading previous discussion about Linux on PPC today I tried to install two small Linux-distribution within VirtualPC7 without any success....
    - AntiX: Desktop showed up with dynamic display of the VM's resources but no possibility to take control over the VM or any cursor movements
    - Slitaz: froze during installation process

Anyone here tried to run a small Linux-distribution within VirtualPC?

19. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

You'll become a member and a regular in no time. I've only ever posted about PPC macs and I'm already a regular haha. Keep on posting! ;) (and welcome!)

20. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Thx ;) given that I own PPCs only since nearly two years I assume my rank as a newbie is not that inappropriate :D

21. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

I tried ubuntu and ubuntu mate on my g5 and ubuntu has graphical issues with nvidia cards, I couldn't figure out how to do the fix on ubuntu mate the correct way.

I gave up on Linux again and resized the HDD.

I've had no issues with tiger. I really want to get leopard installed but I don't have a DVD for that sadly. :(

also yesterday I thought I lost a Seagate HDD from the G5 but it still works :)

22. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Leopard is available for download on the Macintosh Garden. HOWEVER, if you're happy with Tiger, I recommend staying there. Tiger is faster and more stable. I'd like to be on Tiger but I really like Roccat, which requires 10.5.

23. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

I'll download Leopard anyway just in case i need it. :)

24. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I've only been on this forum since August 2016 and I'm a 6502a! I even had a 3-month ban for, well, 3 months! :D

You'll move up in no time, it's amazingly fast. ;)

25. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I joined in October 2014, and have only posted in PowerPC except for some rare exceptions and I'm all the way up to a 68000 :D

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.