Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Tried it yesterday :

TFF UserAgent Firefox52ESR can't fill in username and password , the input boxes won't allow me to click in them

Roccat/LWK UserAgent Firefox Intel , I can logon , but playing back a video generates an error-message.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In keeping with the Challenge it should be Xbox 360, Nintendo Gamecube or Wii only. ;)

3. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Next step is to try on high end g5 with latest Linux distro and latest Firefox version

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Don't forget PlayStation 3, its processor is POWER derivative too. The Wii U too, but I guess that's too new :p
    Now if someone had an Apple/Bandai Pippin ;)

5. Kliee macrumors newbie

Kliee

Thank you!

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I unilaterally decided the PlayStation 3 was a tenuous link too far. ;)

7. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Or a G4 with PPC Linux :)

8. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I can use my G5. It's not really high end, but it's not the slowest either. What Linux distro should I try?

9. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Netflix Saga continued, took a free month just for testing .

I just installed Ubuntu Mate 16.4.02 on my PB G4 , upgraded my Firefox to 47 but it still wouldn't work.

When I used a UserAgent switcher to change it to x86-64,Firefox 50/51,Linux I could get as far as to load an episode but
    then it would fail.

From the requirements this should work as of Firefox 47 on Linux ( https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742 ) but from this
    ( http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/firefox-49-linux-netflix-google-widevine-cdm ) and other posts , it's clear that you need Firefox >49 and the HTML5 DRM stuff in that browser to play the content (which was previously only available via Silverlight DRM).

Maybe if we offer a Quad PowerMac G5 to the TFF gods, we might get DRM if it is possible on our PPC machines ;)

10. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Is HTML5 DRM available on Firefox 50+ for PowerPC Linux? If so we could try it (you could try to download Firefox 50 from Debian repository, another user here did it). I said a g5 because, a g4 just couldn't handle such heavy thing. @HFTaylor12 I use Debian 7 on my MDD, but Debian 8 or Ubuntu mate 16, or even Lubuntu 16 would be my choice on a G5. Firefox 50+, KODI and other great apps are available for these newer systems.

11. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Going to install Ubuntu Mate 16.10 PPC now on my PB G4, didn't realise there was still a newer version , I think this one includes Firefox 49 and/or higher.

12. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I don't mean to turn this into a discussion about Linux distros, but I have no experience with them whatsoever and it's something I'd like to get into. Which of those distros would you say is the easiest to install and use? I'd like to try on my G5.

13. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

@HFTaylor12 I recommend Ubuntu MATE as my go-to distro for Linux. Runs amazing on low end systems.

14. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Does is support modern software on PowerPC? Software support is the main reason I'd use Linux.

15. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Yes, but freeware software. You'll have modern Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission, Gimp, Midori, Kodi, Vlc, Smplayer and so on...
    Now back to the topic argument. Linux was concerned only because it would be a way to use Netflix on our PPC Macs, but IMHO it would be also great to use a PPC machine today because of its updated software and security patches.

16. Lastic macrumors 6502a

But Ubuntu Mate 16.10 ,the last supported release for PPC, also has a bug where you cannot boot after install, which I forgot and rebooted after install to a yaboot error,sigh ...

So if you plan to install Ubuntu Mate 16.10 , check this
    https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/sol...tall-flashing-questionmark-g5-powermac/5782/5

17. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

So that's why my dual 1.8 g5 wouldn't boot ubuntu mate after installing. I will try to install it again :)

18. JRDN macrumors member

JRDN

This'll be awesome! Missed the last one unfortunately.

Comin in with my upgraded Sawtooth, upgraded Cube, and TiBook

19. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Wish I could participate but sadly I have things coming up that require my MBP 2010.

I'll attempt to though!

20. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Doesn't boot properly on my PowerBook.. Complains about i2c and stops there and boots once every 10 reboots... When it booted, it didn't even offer me the option of installing alongside OS X. Nuke the whole HDD or nothing..

21. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I tried installing MATE 2 months ago, and I also had this problem. I assumed my CD was bad, and I tried burning another one but same issues. I just gave up at that point, I didn't really have a need for Ubuntu MATE anyway.

22. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Same here. Ubuntu 10.04 works without any problems tho. Quite odd tbh.

23. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

10.04 sounds pretty old, I'm worried about software support... I could try @pochopsp's suggestion and use Debian or Lubuntu. Well no point thinking about it now, all I've got is my iBook G4 at the moment anyway.

24. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Lubuntu doesn't like me either. It's not worth the hassle probably.

25. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Debian it is. I've read about Debian and it sounds good and easy to install. It also sounds like it's targeted at new Linux users, people coming from Mac and Windows. I'll try it as soon as I have access to my full selection of Macs again.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.