Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Altec Lansing revealed the inMotion today -- "the first portable audio system designed expressly for the Apple iPod"

The inMotion iPod/Speaker system provides a docking bay, allowing 3rd Generation (Dock) iPods to perform syncing functions, alarm integration and easily dock with the Speaker System.

Available exclusively in the Apple Online Store in October, and then a general release.

inMotion provides a unique use of the Dock Connector introduced in the 3rd Generation iPods, possibly eliminating one of the possibilites on the wishlist from the rumored iPod Peripherals

t8355lla_125.jpg

cp_promo_top_altec.gif

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Runs off of batteries?? That thing is weak. 2 Watts a channel. I think I can hum louder than this thing.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
looks

Well... it's not ugly but it sure ain't applelicious looking.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by e2chris
Runs off of batteries?? That thing is weak. 2 Watts a channel. I think I can hum louder than this thing.
well, I don't think anyone expects hifi sound out of the thing - more like this is intended for folks who just like to listen to music in a smaller setting, like an office. This would be great where I work - bring in the ipod, plop it in, and shazamm my tunes coming out of a radio not loud enough to overpower the person I'm talking to on the phone.

You want bigger sound, plug the dock line-out into your home stereo. That's what it's there for. This is what it promises to be - external speakers for an iPod. Nothing more.

On a different feel tho - what's the deal with apple and battery-operated products? Easy to replace with a itty bitty fuel cell later? I dunno...

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by Mudbug
well, I don't think anyone expects hifi sound out of the thing - more like this is intended for folks who just like to listen to music in a smaller setting, like an office. This would be great where I work - bring in the ipod, plop it in, and shazamm my tunes coming out of a radio not loud enough to overpower the person I'm talking to on the phone.

You want bigger sound, plug the dock line-out into your home stereo. That's what it's there for. This is what it promises to be - external speakers for an iPod. Nothing more.

On a different feel tho - what's the deal with apple and battery-operated products? Easy to replace with a itty bitty fuel cell later? I dunno...

Good point about the Office for it. It would be perfect for that situation.

You can plug it into a stereo?? Your kidding me... <Sarcasm>

I would like to see Bose or Cambridge Soundworks come up with something.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: looks

Originally posted by evolu
Couldn't find an image... link?

images posted in the first post now

arn

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
i can't say i'm interested in scrolling the wheel with the ipod sitting up like that - I like holding it to scroll my thumb around... With those speakers in the way you'd kinda have to point at the wheel and buttons. Could be awkward.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Go one step more....

How about a docking system like you can get with XM radio? Your iPod mounting in your car and then pulling it out for something like this in the office. Of course, this wouldn't be the best solution for home but as was already mentioned, there are other options in that area.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
my take is...

this is a new version of an old classic.
The Boombox.

but modular.
keep one in your office
keep one in the garage
keep a dock next to your home stereo
keep your headphones in your backpack
keep a ??? in your car

all you do is take your iPod with you.
nothing bulky

i like this approach

eliminates the cd wallets and ugly radios

edit:i just saw that it costs $149, they can shove it!!

alia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2003
Orlando, FL
This thing is pretty cool, although I don't know if I'd be willing to spend $150 on it when I can buy a cable for $20 and plug my ipod into my home speakers. I guess when I get an office job again, it would be useful. :)

Alia

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you pay $20 for a y-cable into your home speakers, I'm going to open a store that just sells those cables and become a millionaire. Try $4.99

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
the small icons are almost okay, but the bigger pictures look like baby-renderings ... sorry, but their pdf (download it @ apple store) is so non-professional - for sure this stuf was not done by an apple grafician :(((
.a

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
To be fair here you'd need to buy a dock too to use the line-out/charger and not just a cable to get the same effect from a stereo. Unless you want to carry your dock around from room to room and/or to work with you too. $149 is a bit pricey for this thing, but I'd like to see one first before I would rule it out since it is an all-in-one solution. Plus when other retailers start carrying it in November, you can probably get it at some discount, as Apple always charges full retail for everything of course.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Re: my take is...

Originally posted by settledown
this is a new version of an old classic.
The Boombox.

but modular.
keep one in your office
keep one in the garage
keep a dock next to your home stereo
keep your headphones in your backpack
keep a ??? in your car

all you do is take your iPod with you.
nothing bulky

i like this approach

eliminates the cd wallets and ugly radios

edit:i just saw that it costs $149, they can shove it!!
I love when someone totally buys into a product and then turns on it in an instant:D Makes for good reading.

I don't like the fact that it runs off of batteries. There should be an ac adapter in the thing for those who would use it as a more stationary device. I would consider using this in my office, but not if I'm going to be changing batteries every week. I'd also have to listen to the sound quality though. Don't want some cruddy sound coming out of it when my eMac can provide better.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
ummmmm....

so whats the point to this? Something that cost $150 and you'll have a place to put your ipod when in your hotel room? Why not get some cheap little flat speakers or even the $60 Apple pro speakers and plug them into your ipod? I just don't see having this compared to regular speakers. Someone fill me in.

Eslyjah

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
What I really want is something like this for a car stereo. Stick my iPod into the head unit and listen through the car's speakers. Any takers?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Eslyjah
What I really want is something like this for a car stereo. Stick my iPod into the head unit and listen through the car's speakers. Any takers?

i-Move?

smartimov6.jpg

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
It seems ugly and clunky. It lacks the elegance of Apple's products. I also agree with another post about the scroll wheel being more awkward to use in this configuration. This design looks like a first draft that should have been revised a few more times.

sharky2313

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
This is half way there

good effort but this product falls short.

1. too expensive. Price point is way too high
2. battery life seems to be a problem, "runs continuosly for 24 hours on 4 AA batteries" . . .so you can only count on 25-30hours before changing batteries? Let's see I work 8 hours a day so every 3 days I need 4 new batteries. UGH!
3. Why no car adapter?
4. Why no remote?

iLife

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
SF Bay Area / Miami FL
Re: Just get a Cassette deck adapter

Originally posted by Wash!!
I use one it works great

not everyone has a tape deck...

i can supposedly get a line-in put into my car, through the dealer... i need to look into that. when i got my iPod i had bought the belkin FM transmitter.... too many FM Stations where i live, it sounded like junk... i'm just frustrated because i really wanted to use my iPod in my car and not have to hassle with CD's anymore.

Augz

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
ppl are saying you can just plug your ipod into speakers and get the same effect. But surely ipod->speakers wouldn't have enough amplification for any sort of volume.

I wouldn't get one (personally). I'd line out to a stereo or have the headphones. Hope it works for some people tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.