Intel to Launch New Mobile CPUs (Arrandale) in January?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to Digitimes, Intel is poised to launch their Arrandale mobile CPUs in January 2010.
Intel plans to launch four 32nm dual-core Arrandale CPUs (Calpella platform), the Core i5-520M, Core i5-430M, Core i3-350M and Core i3-330M, in the first half of January 2010 for the mainstream notebook segment, according to sources from notebook players.
The Arrandale CPUs are based on the advanced Nehalem architecture first introduced into Macs earlier this year. These new mobile processors are said to come in mainstream as well as low-voltage variants that will make them suitable for both the MacBook Pros as well as ultra-thin notebooks such as the MacBook Air. These new chips are expected to deliver significant performance boosts over the currently shipping Apple notebooks.

Apple last updated the MacBook Pro line in June 2009.

Article Link: Intel to Launch New Mobile CPUs (Arrandale) in January?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
MacBook Pro, anyone? This is shocking news. I really didn't see this one coming at all. It's just so unpredictable and out of the blue. I really would like to check the source of this, this seems even beyond a rumor, this seems flatout made-up.
[/sarcasm]

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Pre-CES looks like the date. January 7, 2010 is the date I see get tossed around.

It looks like the Core i3 components of Arrandale follow the desktop Clarkdale's lead of lacking Turbo Boost. What will Apple do without a nVidia chipset?

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
32nm... It seems like just yesterday Steve Jobs was explaining how the whole industry had hit a brick wall when it came to implementing 90nm.

Between low power processors and SSDs, it shouldn't be long before computers like the MBA and smaller can offer very respectable performance.

Comment

Totty

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2006
I promised myself I wouldn't get a new MBP until an architecture change...here's to hoping... :D

Comment

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
How much do you want to bet that Apple still uses Core 2 Duo instead of the new Core i3, i5, i7. It would not shock me at all. And as far as the lack of nVidia chipsets, back to intel I 'spose. Does this also mean that nVidia is done making GPU's on any level, discrete and integrated? I have had far too many bad experiences with ATI, I'm not gonna be happy if ATI becomes the only GPU manufacturer.

Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I'm gonna take a guess and say that the high end 15-inch gets an i3, 17-inch get a i5 and the rest of the models are going to be higher clocked dual cores.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
32nm... It seems like just yesterday Steve Jobs was explaining how the whole industry had hit a brick wall when it came to implementing 90nm.

Between low power processors and SSDs, it shouldn't be long before computers like the MBA and smaller can offer very respectable performance.
Take a look at the Ultra Low Voltage processor Turbo Boost speeds.

Fudzilla said:
Core i7 620UM has 4MB of cache and that is the only major difference between this CPU and Core i4 520UM. However, Core i7 series will overclock better in Turbo and you can expect that 1.06GHz Core i7 620UM overoclocks to a whopping 2.13GHz when pluggged in or running at full performance settings, and all of this can be sustained with an 18W TDP.

Core i7 640UM will have the base clock of 1.2GHz and with the help of Turbo it will overclock all the way to 2.26GHz.
The 620UM will sell for $278 while 640UM will end up at an acceptable $305. Both of them will most probably become a synonym for great performance.

Comment

AMmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Vermont
Sounds promising.

I think the best thing to do is just to wait and see what happens. Ive had my current MBP for almost six years now and its still working fine. If the mbp lines got a huge upgrade like this though it would be very tempting, but I would hate to see ATI replace nVidia again though, I think nVIDIA was a smart choice that appealed to a lot of people. Ive been waiting to replace my current computer with an MBP with a nVidia card.

Comment

AMmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Vermont
I think the best thing to do is just to wait and see what happens. Ive had my current MBP for almost six years now and its still working fine. If the mbp lines got a huge upgrade like this though it would be very tempting, but I would hate to see ATI replace nVidia again though, I think nVIDIA was a smart choice that appealed to a lot of people. Ive been waiting to replace my current computer with an MBP with a nVidia card.

Comment

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
You must have the limited edition time traveling MBP, considering they were first introduced in 2006!

I, on the other hand, am working on a Powerbook that is from 2005.

I'm also looking forward to a new laptop. :)

Comment

markredf150

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
yeah it's going to suck with NVIDIA out of the picture in Apple's future revisions. Can someone explain to me why NVIDIA is pissed off at Intel? I still don't get it

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
so the i5-750 and i7-870? Why not the i7-975
The Core i7 975 is a Bloomfield processor for the LGA 1366 socket at a 130W TDP rating.

Lynnfield comes in at 95W and sports the PCIe controller on-die in addition the integrated memory controller.

Bloomfield also requires the X58 chipset + ICH10R compared to just the 4-5W P55 PCH on Lynnfield.

Stop it already, Intel! I hate it when my Mac feels out of date a couple months after I bought it!
Core 2 is getting quite old already. Penryn is almost at two years old.

Comment

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
Stop it already, Intel! Can you please go back to a 12+ month speedjump schedule? I hate it when my Mac feels out of date a couple months after I bought it!
tech and marketing have finally found their equilibrium. Now, not only will advertisements continue to persuad the consumer into feeling like they need the latest and greatest to stay content, but the tech industry is, and will continue to, advance at a really fast rate, so the two are complimenting each other nicely, if that makes sense.

The Core i7 975 is a Bloomfield processor for the LGA 1366 socket at a 130W TDP rating.

Lynnfield comes in at 95W and sports the PCIe controller on-die in addition the integrated memory controller.

Bloomfield also requires the X58 chipset + ICH10R compared to just the P55 MCH on Lynnfield.
that's all above my head, but I'm assuming what you just said has to do with pricier, hotter, less efficient hardware that Apple couldn't use if they wanted to maintain a decent price point and design/look

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
that's all above my head, but I'm assuming what you just said has to do with pricier, hotter, less efficient hardware that Apple couldn't use if they wanted to maintain a decent price point and design
Lynnfield is cooler and uses only a PCH chip in addition to the processor in most cases.

Bloomfield is at 130W vs. 95W and you have to cool off the X58 chipset and the ICH10R.

Apple is going to need to support their own auxiliary controllers for what Intel doesn't provide. The overall platform cost for P55 over X58 is lower as well but you do make some sacrifices that would only be noticeable in a desktop you could upgrade.

Lynnfield and Bloomfield effectively share the same core and cache components.

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
that's all above my head, but I'm assuming what you just said has to do with pricier, hotter, less efficient hardware that Apple couldn't use if they wanted to maintain a decent price point and design
He basically said, Lynnfield is less power hungry in the motherboard, produces less heat and its processor has an all-in-one design for RAM and graphics (meaning less wasted space by having less chips).

Comment

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
Lynnfield is cooler and uses only a PCH chip in addition to the processor in most cases.

Bloomfield is at 130W vs. 95W and you have to cool off the X58 chipset and the ICH10R.

Apple is going to need to support their own auxiliary controllers for what Intel doesn't provide. The overall platform cost for P55 over X58 is lower as well but you do make some sacrifices that would only be noticeable in a desktop you could upgrade.

Lynnfield and Bloomfield effectively share the same core and cache components.
right, so it would run warmer, require additional space inside the iMac, cost more, and use more power. So will we be seeing the bloomfield in the mac pro's?

Comment

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
yeah it's going to suck with NVIDIA out of the picture in Apple's future revisions. Can someone explain to me why NVIDIA is pissed off at Intel? I still don't get it
Intel signed an agreement with nVidia 5 years ago to allow nVidia to produce chipsets compatible with their processors. The new nehalem architecture has a different memory controller (or something of that sort) and Intel says the contract is no longer valid, meaning nVidia cannot produce chipsets for the new processors. Nvidia argues the opposite, that the contract is still valid.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/02/18/nvidia.intel.license.fight/

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.