Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
The base clock speed seems to be moving at an extremely slow trickle up over the past 5-10 years.

It has.. and in some ways it's a head-scratcher. Sure, offering more core's allows the OS to truly multi-task lots of processes. But at the end of the day the only way to get a single process to run faster is to RUN FASTER. It's the old "nine ladies can't make a baby in 1 month" puzzle. Hopefully the future holds a compromise of both approaches.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Intel has been semi-stuck the past few years, but they do release new CPUs on a regular enough basis that Apple could upgrade machines every 1-2 years. Apple just CHOOSES not to. For example, there is no excuse for the Mac mini being stuck where it is.

As for RAM... Hello Apple, get over your obsession with thin. Low power DDR-4 would be nice, but it's not crucial. Put in a bigger friggin battery!! All the other notebook manufacturers ship notebooks with regular RAM, and it works just fine thank you. Using a bigger battery does not mean doubling the size of the laptop, a few millimeters should do it. Put the PRO back into the Pro laptops, not everything has to be über "thin and light."
My actual biggest complaint with Apple's notebook lineup right now is the naming. If we were to change the name of the MacBook to the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro to the MacBook, we wouldn't really have anything to complain about. Those are accurate descriptions of those products.

And then they introduce a limited range of 15 and 17 inch laptops above that that were thicker, had more io, bigger batteries, higher end GPUs and more RAM, then call that a MacBook Pro. A few of the higher end 15-inch current MBPs could stay on at the lower end of the new MBP line and I don't think anyone would mind.

But seriously, that's a branding fix. Nothing more complicated than that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
There are been newer chips suitable for the mini available for years now, and Apple has chosen to stick with 2013 tech. Why would we think that the availability of another new generation would matter to them?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It has.. and in some ways it's a head-scratcher. Sure, offering more core's allows the OS to truly multi-task lots of processes. But at the end of the day the only way to get a single process to run faster is to RUN FASTER. It's the old "nine ladies can't make a baby in 1 month" puzzle. Hopefully the future holds a compromise of both approaches.
It's also currently being balanced with the push down into smaller and more energy efficient manufacturing processes. There's tradeoffs to pushing a chip closer to any of those three points.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
But only yesterday we were told Apple will be dumping intel in 2 years time.. and some on here thought it was a fantastic idea......

Personally I think unless they stick with Intel or AMD they will kill off the Mac sales full stop!

Let’s see if the 15” Pro gets the 6 core option and half decent Vega AMD GPU options.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Announcement only? Did I miss? Don’t see anything regarding actual ship dates and Intel not reliable. Can’t see Apple using 2018.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Would be nice to finally replace my 2012 quad i7 mini.

Although a quad core 13" MBP would be nice.... if it came with some legacy ports. But that won't happen :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Announcement only? Did I miss? Don’t see anything regarding actual ship dates and Intel not reliable. Can’t see Apple using 2018.
I suspect since we're in April, Apple will possibly roll out new Macs during their WWDC address in June. I'm making the assumption that Intel will have the chips shipping by them.

Mike1984

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
1) Then Need to reintroduce the 17 inch laptop, for people who actually do work on their laptops, as their desktops.
2) They really need 32 Gig of Ram.

There are 17 inch laptop's out with 32GB ram:

Https://System76.com

the KUDA line looks awfully close to a Mac Book Pro 17 inch:

7th Gen Intel® Core i7-7700HQ: 2.8 up to 3.8 GHz – 6 MB cache – 4 cores – 8 threads

Display
17.3″ 1920 × 1080 LED Backlit, Matte

Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 630

Memory
Up to 32 GB Dual Channel DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

Storage
M.2 SSD, 2.5″ SATA II. Up to 6TB total.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
To be fair, a lot of those "in the bag" Apple customers are also perfectly happy to just sit on their current machines for years and years because of their longevity. Me for example. My current MBP will continue to serve me just fine for the next year if Apple doesn't hit me with some worthwhile upgrades in June.

That is totally fine, as long as you look at consider the whole market when it comes time for a replacement. By closing our eyes and not looking at the entire product space, we severely distort Apple's incentive structure to be responsive to the customer.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
I’m in the market for a new MBP if they hit the right notes this year and I must say I do like the sound of this 6 core beast However, I’m not buying another laptop with a 16gb limit.

Been holding on a year and a half and I can probably make it another year if I get the battery changed on my 2012. But unfortunately the reality of my workflow (and I’m looking at you squarely at you, Photoshop, who will hold 16gb of files in memory even when those files are long closed) has made 32gb of RAM non-negotiable if I’m plonking down £3k+ on a new machine.

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
Available immediately as far as I can tell. You can already find the t cpu's on Newegg/Amazon, along with the new i5 and i3 variants (8600, 8500, 8300). Most likely Intel has already shipped the new U and H CPUs to OEMs. We'll definitely be seeing new MBP's at WWDC unless Apple announces them earlier.

Mike1984

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
This is what you can get right now with Linux.
Apple needs to Step Up.

From System76.com

Kudu Laptop

Base Price $969
Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS (64-bit)
17.3″ Matte 1080p LED Backlit Display
3.8 GHz i7-7700HQ (2.8 up to 3.8 GHz – 6MB Cache – 4 Cores – 8 Threads)
Intel® HD Graphics 630
32 GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2400MHz (2× 16GB) $359
United States Keyboard
1 TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD $735
1 TB 2.5″ SSD $435
WiFi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth $20
External USB DVD-RW Drive $55
1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Normal Assembly Service
Product total: $2,573

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Then Need to reintroduce the 17 inch laptop, for people who actually do work on their laptops, as their desktops.
I do actual work on my laptop and I certainly don't need a 17" model. Those days are long gone, and given that apple wasn't making enough money on them (Why else would they kill of a product), we'll not see a return imo.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I liked the 45w version of i9. At first 65w version of it announced and I was thinking if Apple can put that inside the 15" version.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
LOL.

Intel released 8th generation processors that are suitable for MBP's LAST SUMMER.

Apple's Accountant King prefers the added margins of selling old hardware at brand new prices.

And Apple customers prefer to pay extra for less because of the good feeling it gives them not to have to go near yucky yucky M$.

I see no victim.
Apple only gives us what they want, when they want. Look at Mac Pro or iMac Pro. Only care about iOS anyway now.

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
"future Mac mini models"

...good one.

Apple could easily update the Mac Mini with new specs and even a new smaller design and still make good money, but they’ve clearly calculated that it won’t be as much money as pushing people to more profitable products like the Retina MacBook or iMacs.

They think or know that making a Mac Mini that’s competitive with budget PCs will result in a product that doesn’t meet their extremely high profit margin expectations. It’s not about what’s best for customers but what’s best for Apple’s profit and though the two are related, there’s still a surprisingly large disconnect when you’re a company as large and powerful as Apple.

As with all things Apple, it’s follow the money.

Last edited:

Mike1984

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Exactly. A Real iMac Pro to Go, with a smaller screen. 20 inches, for example.
That would be killer in this market.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
"Back in 2016, Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller said 32GB of standard DDR4 RAM would compromise battery life."

Yes, of course it would. So, instead of using a larger battery, Apple will simply not offer a 32GB option. Meanwhile, the Windows PC side won't have a problem with having a 32GB option even if battery life is compromised. Go figure. I'm not complaining. I'm just puzzled when it comes to Apple's choices. We're not talking about a struggling company being unable to satisfy customers due to cost constraints. I personally don't need a 32GB option, so it doesn't affect me in any way. I would just think Apple should offer the option and tell users about the shortened battery life and leave that up to them. However, Apple must have some minimum battery life standards they won't break or a 32GB isn't a worthwhile cost option for Apple's bean-counters.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I have a 2014 13'MacBook Pro topped out on RAM (16GB) and HD (512GB SSD), and I'll just keep it for one more year if the next gen MacBooks can't go up to 32GB of RAM.

I believe I'm not alone in this decision.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Just remember, at the end of the day, power dissipation rules.

You might have more cores, but the clock frequency might be reduced to keep the thermals in check.

Sure, but they still end up a good 30% over their previous less core-ey generation at the same wattage.

And it's more reason the 15" can still distinguish itself from the 13, 28 watts at most vs 45.

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
These chips STILL don't support LPDDR4....

Theres a reason Apple is always a gen behind, and it's Intel's **** roadmaps for the specs Apple cares about, mainly power consumption.
This is confusing to me, because this sounds contradictory, considering you are saying they STILL don't support LPDDR4, aka "Low Power" DDR4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.