Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gata

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
I do actual work on my laptop and I certainly don't need a 17" model. Those days are long gone, and given that apple wasn't making enough money on them (Why else would they kill of a product), we'll not see a return imo.

I think what might have changed is the fact that, spec-wise, the 17 inch laptop wasn't any different than the 15 inch. They've said that they're running into limitations on logic board/battery size when upgrading to DDR4, so releasing a meaningfully more powerful 17" with either better battery life, improved components, or both would fill a niche that people are looking for.

Reactions: stevekr

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Apple could easily update the Mac Mini with new specs and even a new smaller design and still make good money, but they’ve clearly calculated that it won’t be as much money as pushing people to more profitable products like the Retina MacBook.

They think or know that making a Mac Mini that’s competitive with budget PCs will result in a product that doesn’t meet their extremely high profit margin expectations. It’s not about what’s best for customers but what’s best for Apple’s profit and though the two are related, there’s still a surprisingly large disconnect when you’re a company as large and powerful as Apple.

As with all things Apple, it’s follow the money.

I don't think those markets overlap. I'm not looking for mobile laptop and just want a stationary media center computer that's small and can do 4K at 60fps and run MacOS apps. There's no way they're pushing me to a laptop and are merely losing out on a customer. I don't need an i9 MacMini but I would like one with a GPU capable of driving a 4K TV and support HDR. If $100 Android streaming boxes can do it then why not a $600-$700 MacMini? I don't want to be pushed to a non-Intel AppleTV which I'm not interested in. Apple must have some rather obtuse product guidelines which I can't quite comprehend.

TheTuesdaydude

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Apple since Powerbook g4. but man the times when apple was ahead of the curve are long gone. When I see the competition putting out something like the new Dell XPS 15 9570, hexa i9, 32GB, 2 x m2 + 1 x 2.5 slot.. I don't know. It's just tempting ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
There are 17 inch laptop's out with 32GB ram:

Https://System76.com

the KUDA line looks awfully close to a Mac Book Pro 17 inch:
[...]

Display
17.3″ 1920 × 1080 LED Backlit, Matte

1920x1080 on a 17” laptop is... not good. 12” MacBooks have higher resolution. Also, those integrated graphics aren’t what we’d see on a 17” MacBook Pro (based on the past 17” and current 15”).

Regardless, the 17” MBP is not coming back. It was too niche of a product, and that’s not the direction Apple is moving.

dfstock

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Intel already feeling the pressure of Apple making their own chips so they decided to release an update earlier than they probably wanted to.

Reactions: simonmet

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
That is totally fine, as long as you look at consider the whole market when it comes time for a replacement. By closing our eyes and not looking at the entire product space, we severely distort Apple's incentive structure to be responsive to the customer.
Of course. I'm just saying that because macs historically last a really long time, to suggest that Apple doesn't feel pressure to release compelling upgrades because their customer base is "in the bag" feels a little misguided. But of course that does assume at least most of that customer base isn't shopping in a vacuum even if they're not seriously considering options from other companies because the prefer the Apple ecosystem. Which is a fair assumption in my experience.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Mac mini still on the 4th Gen Haswell

screen-shot-2015-10-04-at-10-48-40-am.png

More like:

eeB6ktl_d.jpg

Reactions: bladerunner2000

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is confusing to me, because this sounds contradictory, considering you are saying they STILL don't support LPDDR4, aka "Low Power" DDR4.
The OP that started this thread stated that these chips don’t support the low power DDR4 variant of RAM. This is in the context of last year where Apple stated that lack of support is why the last gen systems only go up to 16GB, they only want to use the low voltage variant of DDR4. Its concerning to me that Intel, a whole generation later, still hasn’t built in that support.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
There have been plenty of other processors in recent years that have been passed over. And how often has a processor been announced by Intel and then Apple adds it in a new laptop 2 months later? Not gonna happen with this round of refreshes.

Apple only really ever passed over Broadwell and that was entirely Intel's fault, and they only passed on Broadwell H-Series as they brought the desktop chips (5675R/5775R) to the 21.5" iMac. By the time Intel worked out their Broadwell issues Skylake was out the door anyways.

I'm sure Apple has had engineering samples of the 45w H-Series and the 28w U-Series chips for the past six months to work through the integration into their existing chassis. With 6-cores, Apple will need to look at the thermals for sure, but I'm sure they have been since they got their hands on these CPUs. Intel's 8th generation rollout has been slow and steady since they started with the desktop (8700K) and the 15w U-Series (i7-8550U). Now that the 28w U-Series and the 45w H-Series have been announced, the last piece of the puzzle is the 5w Y-Series that Apple uses in the 12" MacBook. Once those are announced, then I can see updates being rolled out...WWDC seems like a natural fit.

Reactions: Glmnet1

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Do we have any information about the GPUs they could possibly put along these CPUs in the new iMac? MPB?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
4c 13” MBP, and a 6c Mac mini ... those would seriously pique my interest, and might be enough to make me want to upgrade.

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Just one question to cover the last 2-3 years of these message boards:

What's so great about the Mac Mini that everyone is always whining about Apple not refreshing it?

Seriously. By the time you add the monitor and peripherals, why not just buy an iMac?

Am I missing something here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.