Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its October 27 Mac-centric event, Apple announced a new "TV" app, which is designed to serve as a sort of TV guide, helping users discover new content and find TV shows and movies to watch. The TV app is meant to work across multiple devices, including iOS devices and the Apple TV, and as of today the TV app is available in the iOS 10.2 beta.

Apple's new TV app works hand-in-hand with features like Siri Live Tune-In and Single Sign-On, simplifying the television-watching experience.

tvappios102-800x709.jpg

In addition to a Library section that displays all the iTunes content a user has purchased, the TV app also features a "Watch Now" section that houses a collection of TV shows and movies from iTunes and other television apps a user has installed on an Apple TV or iOS device.

An Up Next feature keeps track of TV shows and movies across devices so you can pick up where you were watching, whether in the middle of a movie or the next episode of a TV show, and there are lists of curated and trending TV shows and movies.

A dedicated store lets users purchase content from iTunes or from other sources like HBO Go. The Store section also lets users sign in with their TV provider to find content available through an authenticated cable subscription.

Apple's release notes state that the TV app isn't yet fully functional, and it does not appear to be available in the tvOS 10.1 beta just yet. Apple has said the TV app will see an official release in December.

Article Link: iOS 10.2 Beta 2 Includes New 'TV' App for Discovering Content

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Huh? Not on my devices, and it says in the release notes for beta 2 it isn't ready yet. Am I missing something?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
It's there, but a very rough draft. It's not hooked up to anything other than the device iTunes Store & video library -- the 'Connect My Apps' button is not yet functional.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Interesting how it kicked out the videos app from my Apple folder. I had to put it back in. Now I have to be careful when I search for TV since I also have the xfinity TV app.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It's there, but a very rough draft. It's not hooked up to anything other than the device iTunes Store & video library -- the 'Connect My Apps' button is not yet functional.
Mine does not show any of my Movies or TV Shows which were there in the Video App it replaced. Anything need to be set in Settings to allow it?

ddelmonte

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005

I'm in the US, but cannot find the TV app through search. hmmm

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
Oooh, finally: "other people watched" in an own app. Game-changer!
How about one for music!
Or for books!

Or for "some people liked this rumour about Apple that might not be true at all but could be so great if they'd only focus on things that are more important than the iTunes store which is a bloated, incoherent program that amazon rips apart by search algorithms that actually work and tagged content that actually makes sense as compared to iTunes"

How about adding a dictionary which can deal with typos and misspelled words, how about making bluetooth more stable, how about adding functionality to Siri instead of sassy comments, how about focusing on things that may be more important for the users?

Apple does what is important to Apple these days: generating sales. Forget the users, the users are dumb. Thanks, we've come a long way to realize that.

Oht, and btw, how about "let's streamline Apple's customers into Apple's preferred music, video and tv", oh, I forget, that's what Apple Music is for...

I love Apple. I hate what it has become.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Mine does not show any of my Movies or TV Shows which were there in the Video App it replaced. Anything need to be set in Settings to allow it?
Not sure, videos I purchased with iTunes were there first time I ran it. I wouldn't worry about it though, the release notes do state that the "TV App is not yet available".

Reactions: columbiaDweller

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
I wish they had a TV schedule grid for live / broadcast content by channel / app.... similar to what you get on a cable tv box. Obviously that wouldn't work as much for on demand content, but I didn't like their requirement to use Siri to find live streaming content.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What many people are missing is that the TV app is the birth of a video counterpart to AppleMusic. As Apple fleshes it out, it'll replace the Videos app and iTunes for TV shows and movies.

This finally ends the longstanding awkward situation where a bloated iTunes does everything and has had most of its functions — but not all of them — replaced by other apps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.