iOS 11.2.1 Fixes Autofocus Issue Some iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus Users Experienced After iOS 11.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The iOS 11.2.1 update released this morning appears to address an ongoing camera focus issue that some iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus users began experiencing following the release of iOS 11.2.

According to affected users, the camera was not able to focus properly when attempting to capture an image. The camera either shifted continually between the two lenses of the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 Plus, or refused to focus entirely. From MacRumors reader Nixie:
    Resetting, restarting, and changing camera settings did not address the issue, but downgrading to iOS 11.1.2 did, suggesting it was caused by a bug in iOS 11.2.

MacRumors readers on Twitter and the forums who were experiencing the problem have said that installing iOS 11.2.1 has resolved the autofocus issue.

iOS 11.2.1 is available as a free download that can accessed by going to Settings --> General --> Software Update. In addition to fixing the autofocus issue, iOS 11.2.1 also re-enables remote access for shared users of the Home app, which Apple disabled last week to address a major HomeKit vulnerability.

Article Link: iOS 11.2.1 Fixes Autofocus Issue Some iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus Users Experienced After iOS 11.2

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Can they fix the issue of washing out a bright background in selfie mode?

3. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

All of these required updates are annoying. Apple's QA folk need to get their act together. Is there a problem in that department?

4. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I have a few small bugs going on in my iPhone X.

Sometimes my battery usage reads same as standby. Also when in WiFi calling my AT&T WiFi animation stoped scrolling.

Nit picky bugs but hoping a fix none the less.

5. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

So then the update did more than fix the homekit remote issue. How many other bug fixes did Apple sneak in?

6. rimcrazy macrumors member

How about fixing the freaking iTunes player ALWAYS showing up on my lock screen. This just started with 11.2 at least for me. Nothing makes it go away. I don't need it, don't want it and it's blocking messages I'd prefer to see.

7. theheadguy macrumors 65816

I hope this fixes the app icon arrangement issues, which was NOT fixed in the last update as Apple had claimed.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I was wondering. I tried to take a picture, and couldn't get my 8+ to focus. I had to touch the image area a few times, and it finally seemed to focus. It did seem odd. I even checked the lens to see if it were something on it. Good to know it wasn't me. It's Apple Quality unControl...

9. DisNerd macrumors member

I'm good on focus, but my desk lamp is a phillips hue bulb, and I get vertical lines if I try to take a picture of something on my desk due to some sort of camera vs light refresh phasing :confused:

10. citysnaps macrumors 601

As many as possible, I hope. Hat tip to Apple for the updates.

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

They're absolutely having QA issues right now, but I'd rather have more updates than no updates at this point.

12. timothyabbott macrumors newbie

I haven’t really used the camera on my X much until a recently holiday and I started to worry because the photos were very hit and miss. Some where amazing and some brightly lit scenarios looked like they were taken on a 3GS at best. Hope this fixes it...

13. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

I was wondering how my camera look good all of a sudden

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

15. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

I think it’s a general communication issue going on. I’d probably blame management.

16. now i see it macrumors 68040

And just about around July, most of the bugarama called iOS 11 will, for the most part be ironed out and it will be a passable OS - but that sigh of relief won't last long- cuz iOS 12 will soon drop and the hell will start all over again.

17. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Good work on Apple's part with regular updates and improvements - it's one of the reason they are the most successful companies in history.

18. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Didn't have this issue, although good to know it's fixed.

However is Apple not going to address front speaker crackle at anywhere near high volume/ringtone? :confused:
    I guess I'll wait till Jan, if not, then just might have to take it in for a replacement.

19. JDW macrumors 6502

JDW

Yes, but does 11.2.1 restore my battery life to what it was prior to my having installed 11.2? With 11.2, I only get 3 hours 45 minutes of usable battery life. I have friends who've told me the same after installing 11.2 on their iPhone 7's.

20. sleepyking macrumors 6502

I hope this to be the case.
    My X battery with 11.2 is atrocious compared to before

21. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

"According to affected users, the camera was not able to focus properly when attempting to capture an image."

haha.. iPhone suffers from dizzy-ness

23. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I’ve had this issue since 11.0. Glad it was fixed. Was not introduced in 11.2.

24. Da Hurdler macrumors member

Da Hurdler

I thought this was only happening my phone. Great job apple.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    I work for one of the major cell phone carriers & can confirm theirs been a lot of phones doing it.

25. prism macrumors 6502a

So...on the iPhone 8 it refuses to focus entirely???