Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

calculatorapp-250x445.jpg
A bug in the built-in Calculator app in iOS 11 is getting some major attention this week, despite the fact that it's been around since iOS 11 was in beta testing.

At issue is a calculator animation that causes some symbols to be ignored when calculations are entered in rapid succession. You can try it for yourself: Type 1+2+3 and then the equals sign into the Calculator app quickly.

Due to animation lag introduced when adding two or more numbers together, your result is more likely to be 24 than 6.

The same goes for many other calculations -- the Calculator ignores some inputs unless you're entering numbers slowly enough to account for the light-up button animations that highlight the keys that are being pressed. Symbols do not register when tapped while a number button is still highlighted, resulting in incorrect calculations if you're inputting numbers quickly. Reddit user cplr describes the problem:
Any iOS developers will see what is wrong here: the bug is that the animation that lights up the button is blocking touch events until the animation completes. This is the default behavior for animations, but to make an app feel responsive it's best to find a way around that (it can be a one line fix, but sometimes it is complicated).
There are hundreds of complaints about the problem on reddit this week, but it's an issue that's been discussed on the MacRumors forums since the iOS 11 beta testing period. Throughout the beta testing process, the animation lag was not addressed, nor has it been fixed in any of the iOS 11 updates released so far. It's also still present in iOS 11.1.

Some users have experienced similar issues when using older versions of iOS, but the animation lag is noticeable enough in iOS 11 to make the Calculator nearly unusable when attempting to make rapid calculations.

Apple seem to be aware of the issue, because as The Loop points out, Apple employee Chris Espinoza says more than 70 people have filed a Radar report on the bug, alerting Apple to the problem. With it receiving so much attention, we could potentially see a Calculator fix in the next iOS 11 update.

In case you're tempted to write a Radar on this, 70+ people have beaten you to it. https://t.co/xrMwJHqHiH - Chris Espinosa (@cdespinosa) October 24, 2017

In the meantime, iOS users who need a reliable alternative can use third-party apps like Calcbot and PCalc.

Article Link: iOS 11 Bug: Typing 1+2+3 Quickly in the Calculator App Won't Get You 6

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Odd, animation for the + button slows down the actual input of addition. You have to wait for + animation to complete for it to take the rushed 2nd addition.

You would figure That turning on “reduce motion” would help a little, but no.

Maybe I can have my boss calculate my raise before this is fixed!!

JamesIV

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
I've been reporting this glitch since the first day the beta came out because it drove me nuts. I just downloaded another calculator app. So ridiculous because Apple had a good running calculator app in iOS 10. How do you screw up something so simple.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Seriously Apple, do we need animation effects for the operator buttons?

I used to think this was an issue with my 6 Plus but was glad when I saw a thread on this issue on MacRumors last week. In some cases, you could figure out the answer before you even finished typing it all up.

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Can't you just disable all animations?
I guess it's a bit of a joke if you spend nearly 1k bucks on a iPhone 8 and the first thing you do is disable all ... fluff and bling-bling.

Reactions: bernuli

Defactomonkey

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Boston, MA

calculatorapp-250x445.jpg
A bug in the built-in Calculator app in iOS 11 is getting some major attention this week, despite the fact that it's been around since iOS 11 was in beta testing.

At issue is a calculator animation that causes some symbols to be ignored when calculations are entered in rapid succession. You can try it for yourself: Type 1+2+3 and then the equals sign into the Calculator app quickly.

Due to animation lag introduced when adding two or more numbers together, your result is more likely to be 24 than 6.

The same goes for many other calculations -- the Calculator ignores some inputs unless you're entering numbers slowly enough to account for the light-up button animations that highlight the keys that are being pressed. Symbols do not register when tapped while a number button is still highlighted, resulting in incorrect calculations if you're inputting numbers quickly. Reddit user cplr describes the problem:There are hundreds of complaints about the problem on reddit this week, but it's an issue that's been discussed on the MacRumors forums since the iOS 11 beta testing period. Throughout the beta testing process, the animation lag was not addressed, nor has it been fixed in any of the iOS 11 updates released so far. It's also still present in iOS 11.1.

Some users have experienced similar issues when using older versions of iOS, but the animation lag is noticeable enough in iOS 11 to make the Calculator nearly unusable when attempting to make rapid calculations.

Apple seem to be aware of the issue, because as The Loop points out, Apple employee Chris Espinoza says more than 70 people have filed a Radar report on the bug, alerting Apple to the problem. With it receiving so much attention, we could potentially see a Calculator fix in the next iOS 11 update.

In the meantime, iOS users who need a reliable alternative can use third-party apps like Calcbot and PCalc.

Article Link: iOS 11 Bug: Typing 1+2+3 Quickly in the Calculator App Won't Get You 6

Textbook form over function which is unfortunately becoming the hallmark of Apple.

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I encounter this bug 2 years ago while adding up some stuff for my daughters girl scout cookie list. My amounts were all wrong and it boiled down to I was using the calculator too fast so I don't use it anymore and use a cheap-ass real calculator that can actually add correct and doesn't lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.