iOS 11 Concept Imagines Overhauled iPad Interface With Drag-and-Drop Functionality

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 19, 2017.

1. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

i totally agree. In my opinion, Apple has completely neglected the segment of older users, with the exception of being able to make text bigger. There are so many needless doodads in both iOS and Mac OS that make them very arcane to use, let alome explain.

Apple should focus on building a seriously secure OS with a pliable interface that can be configured to suit a users' needs. By secure, I mean things like not constantly popping up logins for the App Store regardless of what context you are in, developing new methods to block phishing attempts, etc.

2. TechGeek76 Suspended

Seems more like his career path is the reason.

"Career[edit]
    Duarte started his career at Psycroft where he cowrote xBill with Brian Wellington. He left Psycroft in 1996 at which time he moved to Hyper Image Productions where he was the lead designer on the Phase Zero hovercraft simulator. In 1997 he left Hyper Image Productions and moved to MagicArts where he filled the role of Vice President of Design until 1999. In March 2000 Duarte took a role at Danger as the Director of Design where his team won the 2002 Wired 'Industrial Designer' Rave Award[6] for their work in designing the Hiptop/SideKick. In August 2005 he took up a role at Helio, as Vice President Experience Design and left shortly before the company was acquired by Virgin Mobile. In September 2007 Duarte was hired as the Vice President at Palm, Inc. to lead development of Palm’s webOS Human Interface and User Experience and introduced the design of webOS at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show. In May 2010 Duarte was hired by Google as Director for the Android User Experience working on the interface and design for Android 3.0 (AKA Honeycomb).[2]"

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

All I want is to be able to make Google Maps my default and Google Chrome my default. Also... open up CarPlay to more apps!

4. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

When the user experience is based on apps it makes very little sense to have rows and rows of apps as the Home screen just like it's a gimmick to want pressure sensitivity on a TOUCH screen. Apple needs to change their name to Gimmickpple.

5. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

Good idea!

6. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

7. gijoeinla macrumors 6502

I love my ipads. Love my pro. But I don't love the fact that I cannot make folders anywhere easily and store my content there for business purposes. Even in photos it's so lame. I want to organize simply by touch. I want videos in easy to find and use folders. I do presentations. And I'm consistently showing my entire photo library to 200 people to locate a newly transferred video. Is it me? If any of u guys have advice please share :))

8. stevefeinstein macrumors member

What a misguided waste of time. Every time someone tries to re-imagine the iPad they wind up wanting to make it more like their Mac. If they want a Mac, they should get a Mac.

If Apple had shipped the iPad as something that was just a tablet Mac, it would have suffered the same fate as all the products from Microsoft and others that just tried to stuff an existing OS into a new form. At best they would have been ridiculed for creating an expensive Netbook.

But Apple figured out a new way to interact with devices, and instead of being a has been copycat, all the other companies now copy Apple.

9. cardfan macrumors 6502a

I'm already embraced the concept that imagines I never buy another ipad.. I mean how many times will I keep shoveling out hundreds for ipads that sit around and gather dust. Pretty weird I know. But I'll stick with iphone & mac for now. It's up to Apple to make ipads more essential and for me mostly has to do with integration with macs.

10. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Finder already exists. It's the iCloud Drive app. It just isn't utilized enough by apps.

Multi-user exists too. Just locked to educational iPads. Makes you think Apple very intentionally doesn't want consumers to have it when they built then specifically denied access to it.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Reportedly it was the Apple lawyers who pushed for the iPad homescreen to look like a big iPhone, as this strengthened their trade dress claims against Samsung.

It's a real pity considering the cool things that can be done with wodgets on a display that big.

As for the concepts in this recent fan video, they look like a rehash of the 2008 Microsoft Courier tablet design concept, plus the actual multi-window drag and drop abilities of a 2014 Samsung Note tablet.

12. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Why waste your time trashing this video?

As a proof of concept from a UX designer who clearly has a POV, this is pretty nice. Who could possibly be against seeding ideas into the world?

13. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Good thing that was just a concept video since it looks extremely kludgy.

iOS is such a mess and so limited that Apple either need to replace it with touch and pen enabled MacOS or replace with Android which fixes all the limitations and usability issues.

14. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Some really fantastic ideas here, Apple need to get their act together especially on the iPad 12.9" experience and that finder app rather than the rubbish iCloud Drive app.

15. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Too complicated with little benefit for the bulk of the users. I am pretty electronically savvy and half the time in the video I could figure out what the point of the shown features. Admittedly, this could be more due to how the video is structured and presented rather than as a function of the new features themselves. I did like the copy and paste feature

16. Bacillus, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

So I wouldn't dare to disturb him or any of 100.000 employees with a variety of assignments (round pizza boxes, solar screen coatings, packaging design, self-healing metal thickness gauges) that prevent them from spending 22 secs to edit a grid space string.

17. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

I'd be happy if they just made selecting text in a web page that easy.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

To be fair Federico Vicitti uses his iPad as his primary computer. There may be a lot of people that do but they're not using it the way he is. I doubt they're creating workflows and automation scripts. I think there are definitely improvements that can be made but over complicating it or turning it into Mac light isn't the answer.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    Finder exists? How does one download media onto an iPad (without using desktop iTunes)? How does one find said media on an iPad (say if you wanted to share it). It doesn't exist. TV app and other media player apps like Infuse don't offer sharing options. Not everyone uses iCloud Drive.

19. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Yup it's surprising that within 2.5 years of iPad Air 2 release, we are nearing the limits of 2 GB RAM. But it was the best possible run for a tablet which still does not show signs of getting bogged down.
    In-fact I traded my 12.9" iPad with my mom's 2.5 yr old Air 2. I am sure it will be fine on iOS 11 even if it has the above mentioned concept

20. Yuthopia macrumors member

Yuthopia

Drap and Drop looks deceptively great. In real life, it is not working well AT ALL.

I know I use Windows 10 on Surface pro. The UI is still "stupid" in tablet mode.

The problem for drap and drop are in 3 parts
    1. U cannot specify selection neatly easily
    2. Draging is quite annoying gestures
    3. Selection of where to drop is difficult.

Don't believe me. Try it on your Windows without mouse.

21. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Perhaps it could have been titled " things that iOS will probably never do, and one of the reasons that I'm probably going to give up waiting".

That's what I can see here, but then I'm heavily jaded by apple's "shut up, we know what you want better than you do" attitude right now.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah but instead we'll only get 2 million more Emoji's.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    Where specifically are you having issues? I use drag and drop on my tablet all the time and find it works well, I love having the option.

23. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sorry but I don't like to have all my files online, I trust Apple but it's just using unnecessary bandwidth.
    And I meant it like MacOs Finder usability.

Reason: $$$$

24. AndyyAngie macrumors newbie

AndyyAngie

Late or not the ideas shared by this team are wonderful.
    Apple, please hire them or at least listen to them.

Andy

25. Naraxus macrumors 6502

Naraxus

I actually would have liked to see that product come to market. I think it could have done fairly well.